• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,022
  • 37,412 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:24 AM

The US Army Psy-ops people came up with the idea of using these disposable M-16 mag-bags as a means of delivering propaganda messages. The self-sealing, clear vinyl bags were used to protect M-16 mags in from the effects of the hot, damp climate in Vietnam. When used by the troops they were discarded on the trail. The VC had a reputation for re-cycling US cast-offs so it was deemed likely that they would probably pick up these empty mag-bags too. Therefore, the printing of a propaganda message in the Vietnamese language was considered a easy and cost-efective way of getting through to the enemy. The translation reads : RETURNING CHIEU HOI WILL HELP YOU AGAIN TO SEE YOUR PARENTS AND FAMILY IN A PEACEFUL AND DEMOCRATIC SOUTH VIETNAM.
How effective they were at encouraging Victor Charles to lay down his arms and come home is anyone's guess!

2010_1024Patches0071.JPG 2010_1024Patches0068.JPG

Sabrejet

#2 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,628 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:32 AM

I picked up a few of these from a guy who got them by the box full at a local are surplus store not long ago.From time to time I would throw one in a box when someone bought something from me.Gave a few away at displays I did to the kids who would look and ask questions.

Dont know how Sir Charles or Mr NVA :thumbsup: liked them but they do keep your smokes pretty dry(Ive been told!!!)

RD

#3 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,022
  • 37,412 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:37 AM

I picked up a few of these from a guy who got them by the box full at a local are surplus store not long ago.From time to time I would throw one in a box when someone bought something from me.Gave a few away at displays I did to the kids who would look and ask questions.

Dont know how Sir Charles or Mr NVA :thumbsup: liked them but they do keep your smokes pretty dry(Ive been told!!!)

RD

Hi Doyler. Is that so? I think they make a interesting addition to any collection / display of VN War memoribilia. I keep mine with mags in their pouches just as intended....though I haven't sealed them lest the mags sweat and corrode!

Ian :thumbsup:

#4 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,628 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:53 AM

Hi Doyler. Is that so? I think they make a interesting addition to any collection / display of VN War memoribilia. I keep mine with mags in their pouches just as intended....though I haven't sealed them lest the mags sweat and corrode!

Ian :thumbsup:

Sabre,

I agree an intresting item and display very well with the mags.also look good with the various leaflets from the war :thumbsup:

RD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users