Spear / Balcs Body armor and variants (ceradyne)

P-E

I listed at least 5 different models of Spear/Balcs body armor used by US Army (woodland and desert 3 colors camouflages).

The Spear/Balcs body armor for Special Operations Forces

IMG_5169.JPG

IMG_5170.JPG

This first model was exclusively made for Special Operations Forces. It's easy recognizable because of the 3 vertical straps on the front face. This vest was then replaced by others models. It serves during the beginning of Afghanistan and Iraq war, but also in Philippine.

For this model, there's two different sort of interior : one with complete cloth, and the other one with grillage.

The first interior (complete cloth) ;

IMG_3061.JPG

And the other one with grillaged cloth ;

243315813_o.jpg

For each model, it's possible to add additionnal protections ;

239040332.jpg

You can see the groin and the neck and collar (in two parts, fixed by velcro)

And here's pictures of soldier wearing it ;

9th%20PSYOPS.jpg (Afghanistan)

28bg1g0.jpg (Afghanistan)

us2pb5.jpg (Iraq)

asfp01bk4.jpg (Philippine)

25gzw9.jpg (Philippine)

Here's the other one, in desert 3 colors. It's exactly the same thing ; there's two differents interior cloth for them.

DSC03595y_GVTXFV5629lr.jpg

DSC03590y_VgO5Wl5aMsgO.jpg

And here's pictures of the two different clothes ;

1st with complete interior cloth ;

4bcf0cc1177e.jpg

2nd with grillaged cloth ;

1581_1.JPG

And here's pictures of soldier in Iraq :

eod_____sword_fighting.JPG

eod_up_the_arse.JPG

abs.jpg

abo.jpg

And the last one available, but never see it before ;

Third%20Variant.jpg

Third%20Variant%20rear.jpg

This one was sold on ebay some months ago. It's also made by ceradyne. It's a particular variant with 3 small vertical straps and 4 horizontal straps. The vertical straps are typical of the special operations forces body armor, and horizontal straps are typical for Rangers body armor (see the 8th model of Ranger Body Armor made by ceradyne at this link : http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...54203&st=0).

Mercenary25

The "mystery" vest looks like it has been modified. The soldier might didn't like vertical straps so he replaced it with horizontal straps so he could have pouches at horizontal.

Also, the ELCS vest is designed with this vest in mind. You could remove MOLLE panels from the vest so it won't get in way of vertical pouches on the body armor.

i think that last version is modified.

i've never seen the desert version with the mesh interior (that should have been issued to the navy forces, maybe to drain water faster, together with the fast armor plate release, to prevent drowning maybe?).

As you said there is also the woodland one with horizontal pals, which was issued to the rangers together with the Ranger Assault Carrying Kit (RACK), and the full black one issued to Navy SWCC.

Here's the other one, in desert 3 colors. It's exactly the same thing ; there's two differents interior cloth for them.

Those BALCS vests with the mesh interior also have a different shoulder velcro straps than the ones with a solid interior. The mesh interiors have a two diagonal stitches on them, and have a flatter appearance. The solid interior ones seem to have a more padded shoulder strap, which might actually contain soft armor (that is just a speculation of mine, I could be completely wrong).

I usually see the mesh interior BALCS vests coming from places that SEALs are stationed at. I think its possible that the mesh interior ones were a special Naval Special Warfare version, but Im not completely sure.

• 2 years later...
Those BALCS vests with the mesh interior also have a different shoulder velcro straps than the ones with a solid interior. The mesh interiors have a two diagonal stitches on them, and have a flatter appearance. The solid interior ones seem to have a more padded shoulder strap, which might actually contain soft armor (that is just a speculation of mine, I could be completely wrong).

I usually see the mesh interior BALCS vests coming from places that SEALs are stationed at. I think its possible that the mesh interior ones were a special Naval Special Warfare version, but Im not completely sure.

You've right on both points. I already had both version of the Balcs, with and without the mesh inside, and I confirm what you say.

It exists :

- Woodland Balcs with mesh interior

- Woodland Balcs wihout the mesh interior (plain cloth material)

- Desert Balcs with mesh interior

- Desert Balcs wihout the mesh interior (plain cloth material)

- Woodland Ranger Body Armor without mesh interior (plain cloth material)

- Desert Ranger Body Armor wihout the mesh interior (plain cloth material)

This is what I've listed currently now. I never saw the RBA vests with mesh interior, but maybe it also exists.

I have a BALCS vest with a mesh interior that came from a SEAL source. I think JKin's theory about the mesh versions being NSW is correct.