Alaska Defense Command SSI

Mark

I couldnt find a place in the SSI reference section for the ADC patches, so I will create my own, and perhaps someone can move it later.

First up, a Korean War era ADC with ALASKA tab. This is on an Ike jacket with 196th regiment DUI.

post-136-1183937764.jpg

post-136-1183937828.jpg

a polar bear ADC without the black accents.

The decal is from WW2, presumbly. It was part of a group from a soldier that was stationed in Alaska in 1944.

post-136-1183939907.jpg

Mark,

Some beautiful hand made ADC examples!

Other members have asked about more sections in the Patch Reference regarding all SSI's and not just what is available now and we will eventually have sections for all SSI's from all branches. ADMIN and Craig are overloaded right now with trying to get many Ref. Sections up and running, but they'll all be there eventually! thumbsup.gif

Here are some of the ADC variations I have found over the years.

Gary

SEAL

post-84-1183948655.jpg

post-84-1183948676.jpg

Some of the bear ADC's have great variation to the highlighting threads and colors.

An early observation on these patches in 1960 or 1961 when a friend's dad gave me some current, for the time, versions of this patch after being transferred to Colorado from Fort Richardson was that the stars were all bright yellow and not golden or golden orange like those found on WWII examples. Back then, all SSI's were still cut edge and made identically to the WWII versions, but with this observation, I have automatically assumed that the bright yellow star is only found on post war patches, like the current merrowed patches you have posted. Can anyone prove me wrong with an example of a known and documented WWII "yellow star?"

Gary

post-84-1183949512.jpg

post-84-1183949533.jpg

post-84-1183949553.jpg

post-84-1183949569.jpg

cool patches! I was hoping you would add yours! twothumbup.gif

did someone ink in the highlights on some of those?

Mark,

I assume you're talking about the two that have silver-gray highlighting thread? Both are originally highlighted in this thread as shown in the close up shot of the first one posted. You can make out some of this silver-gray thread on the reverse as well. It's just another variation you'll find in the ADC patches.

Gary

post-84-1183957806.jpg

post-84-1183957821.jpg

heres a few of mine! does somebody have a gray faced bear? have seen them before! orange alsaka is a made for collectors patch I believe! it was never worn ?

post-620-1184029584.jpg

post-620-1184029617.jpg

post-620-1184029625.jpg

heres a few of mine! does somebody have a gray faced bear? have seen them before! orange alsaka is a made for collectors patch I believe! it was never worn ?

Scott,

Nice patches! I really like your early seal ADC.

The Aleutian Islands patches come in both black and blue twill backing.

Gary

post-84-1184031914.jpg

post-84-1184031945.jpg

Great collection of "Pinky The Bear" patches! (as the patch is commonly referred to by soliders assigned to that command these days). It seems like there are tons of variations of this patch, so many different details in the face.

FYI, this patch is still being worn by US Army Alaska (USARAK, "use-r-rack"). The command element for USARAK, at FT Richardson, is on jump status so the patch can also be seen worn with an airborne tab. It can also be seen worn by several misc. USARAK units deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Vance

I wore the "Teddy Bear" (that's what I remember we called it) SSI when I was stationed in Alaska at Ft. Wainwright in 1972-73. At that time the organization was called US Army Alaska-- USARAL.

• 5 weeks later...

Just acquired a new ADC "Pinky" or "Teddy" Bear patch today. This variation has both black and gray highlighting threads to the face, which is a new one on me. Also note that it has the earlier golden-orangish star used prior to the bright yellow star used from at least late 1950's, early 1960's on.

Gary

post-84-1187074469.jpg

post-84-1187074485.jpg

Well, not a SSI per se, but I thought it was an interesting use of the emblem. This came out of a grouping I acquired last year. It is a 2nd place medal for the Commanding General's Match, 1958

post-203-1187086202.jpg

post-203-1187086030.jpg

The seal design was created by Disney artist Hank Porter in January 1941. Originally, the seal was balancing the letters "ADF" on the end of his nose, which stood for Alaska Defense Force." I am not sure when the designation changed from ADF to ADC.

Here is the image as it appeared on a matchbook:

clip_image002.jpg

Here is the info I have in my database for the seal design:

At the start of World War II, the defense of the Territory of Alaska rested in the hands of a naval radio station, a small Coast Guard base, and a military garrison located whose force numbered less than 300.

In 1940, the Army developed a plan that called for the creation of garrisons stationed along Alaska’s south coast and in the Aleutian Islands. In April 1940, just over 800 men of the 4th Infantry Regiment arrived in Anchorage. In late July, Colonel Simon Buckner Jr. was appointed Commander for the Alaska forces. On July 23rd Buckner’s forces were re-designated the Alaska Defense Force.

In the fall of 1940, the War Department allocated a total of just over 7,300 men, one pursuit squadron and two bomber squadrons to the defense of the Territory. Buckner, who was promoted to Brigadier General, had his headquarters situated ay Fort Richardson. The compound consisted of a log hut, tent camp, and one permanent building.

By July 1941, four infantry regiments, three and one-half antiaircraft regiments, one mobile artillery regiment, and a tank company were stationed in Alaska. The Arkansas National Guard's 153rd Infantry and 206th Coast Artillery formed the bulk of the defense forces.

After Doolittle’s daring raid on Tokyo in April 1942, military planners expected the Japanese to launch an attack on the West Coast or Alaska. By the end of the month, Buckner's forces had grown to just over 40,400.

In November 1942, a New York Times Magazine reporter wrote:

“…as America mobilized and new armed units were set-up, hundreds of them turned to the Disney Studio for humorous emblems…typical of the reception they get was a letter from Brigadier General S.B. Buckner, commanding the Alaska Defense Forces. General Buckner wrote: ‘Since the arrival of the insignia all the seals in the Bering Sea have been out on the ice pack balancing “D’s” on their noses, sneering at polar bears and expanding their chests’.”

In June 1942 the Japanese invaded the Aleutian Islands, making it the first American territory to be seized during the war. One year later the Japanese were forced to retreat. Feeling that the insignia of the Alaska Defense Forces needed updating to represent the change from a defensive to offensive role, the unit requested and received an updated Disney emblem. The new design featured a snarling, helmeted polar bear.

Here is the updated design created by Disney artist Hank Porter in January 1942. I'm not sure if it was ever adopted. The image was printed on a Hearst newspaper insignia stamp:

clip_image002.jpg

• 3 months later...

I once had owned this patch and knew I had an image of it stored somewhere and it finally popped up today. It's not often that you see this in quilted silk floss with bullion features. Aloha John

post-1384-1196148826.jpg

In November 1942, a New York Times Magazine reporter wrote:

“…as America mobilized and new armed units were set-up, hundreds of them turned to the Disney Studio for humorous emblems…typical of the reception they get was a letter from Brigadier General S.B. Buckner, commanding the Alaska Defense Forces. General Buckner wrote: ‘Since the arrival of the insignia all the seals in the Bering Sea have been out on the ice pack balancing “D’s” on their noses, sneering at polar bears and expanding their chests’.”

Dave,

Great info here, but I would add that the letter written by then BG Buckner to the Disney Studios was a request to go from the "cute" seal design to a more agressive looking insignia. The result of this letter was the design of "Pinky" or "Teddy" the bear that is still in use today. Buckner's grandson has the Disney Studio reply to the general which accompanied the sample drawing of the new "ADC" patch.

Allan

I once had owned this patch and knew I had an image of it stored somewhere and it finally popped up today. It's not often that you see this in quilted silk floss with bullion features. Aloha John

that is indeed nice and a good thing you saved the image. Do you know where it was made maybe?

I'm not an expert on patches. Most of what I have that are not on uniforms came from ebay. I'm not sure if they are authentic or not, especially the hand made one. Anyway, here they are:

post-2011-1196380585.jpg

post-2011-1196380600.jpg

post-2011-1196380608.jpg

The last pic is of the back of the decal.

These are the patches that I have on uniforms. The first one is modern. I bought it from a gentleman who was leaving state about a year ago. I think his service was up, but I can't be sure. The rest came from another gentleman who was stationed at Ft. Wainright back when it was Ladd field (in the late 50's)

post-2011-1196381379.jpg

post-2011-1196381402.jpg

Anyway, thanks for another excellent topic

Levi

Here is one I just picked up today.

post-2011-1197013610.jpg

By the way, I think calling these patches "Pinky the Bear" came about from the late "BINKY". He was the polar bear in the Anchorage zoo for many years. He was known for attacking tourists. I believe there is footage of him grabbing a japanese tourists jacket. He also severly injured a drunk gentleman who decided to go for a swim in his enclosure late one night. Just a thought.

Levi