U.S. Navy CBI Patch Variation

pararaftanr2

pararaftanr2

Hello Forum patch experts,

I'm hoping you can educate me on this Navy CBI patch I found on ebay several years ago. It was included as part of an escape kit, packed in a waterproof vinylite bag.

post-9787-1270220783.jpg

It appears to be painted, using multiple stencils, on khaki cotton fabric. As you can see, my example was done a bit off-register. I originally thought these must have been done by a particular squadron, or possibly on an air group or carrier basis.

Since then, I have actually found it in use in several vintage photos of various squadrons. In August of 2008, forum member Calvin Hall posted a VPB-71 DFC grouping that included an M-422a flight jacket with an example of this same style of painted patch.

pararaftanr2

Another example, this time from VC-20:

post-9787-1270221879.jpg

If anyone else has an example of this style patch, or has any further information on how and why it was manufactured and used, rather than the conventional embroidered CBI patch, please let me know! Thanks in advance for your help. Best regards, Paul

pararaftanr2

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the lead. I'll drop your friend a note.

Hi Ski,

Thanks for your comment. I'm anxious to learn more about it.

Another example from VF-11, this time, on the right shoulder:

post-9787-1270315898.jpg

post-9787-1270315979.jpg

Regards, Paul

Wonderful topic. I am curious to learn (and see ;) ) what else is contained in these vinylite bags. It appears there is some occupation money and a map or chart of some type?

Tim

pararaftanr2

Hi Jerry,

Thanks. I know you appreciate the vintage photos. Here's another squadron, VB-87 aboard U.S.S. Ticonderoga, that appears to be using this style of patch, circa July 1945. This is the enlisted aircrew's ready room. The photo is from the NMNA:

post-9787-1270471833.jpg

post-9787-1270471921.jpg

Hi Tim,

I'll lay out the contents for you, including the patch, and post a photo later today when I have my camera at hand. Thanks for your interest. Regards, Paul

Wonderful topic. I am curious to learn (and see ;) ) what else is contained in these vinylite bags. It appears there is some occupation money and a map or chart of some type?

Tim

Hi Tim...

Some of contents are in U.S Navy pilot thread in display section... try to check it !

Thanks for another good photo Paul!!!! Tomorrow I will post my one :)

The best regards,

Jerry K.

pararaftanr2

Hi Tim,

The contents of the waterproof pouch varied, but this one includes MIS-X type 2 and 4 Blood Chits, the painted CBI patch, AAF Cloth Chart # 52 Japan and the South China Sea, an escape compass in a paper envelope, Chinese Nationalist 100 Yen bank notes, a NACI-HO rayon drift chart and instructions for using the drift chart.

post-9787-1270572382.jpg

Hi Jerry,

I look forward to your additional input. Regards, Paul

Hi Paul. As I promised I send CBI patch photo... I hope photo is new for You and enjoy it :)))

The best regards,

Jerry K.

post-369-1270572678.jpg

Hello Paul! Thanks for great photo! I love Your kit! My is the same without vinylite pouch which I hope find soon :))) and money... Yes money... what are correct banknotes for WW2??? Can you help me ???

The best regards,

Jerry K.

pararaftanr2

Hi Jerry,

Thanks again. The money in this kit is Chinese Nationalist 100 Yuan bank notes. A great reference is "Last Hope" The Blood Chit Story, by R.E. Baldwin. He goes into great detail on the correct currency for the various AAF and Navy kits and includes photos. Regards, Paul

My friend's dad was a waist gunner in VPB-111. I have a lot of his things. A couple of the things he kept were a blood chit and a patch just like that. His is stiff as a board the paint is so thick! I have some currency, a CBI pointie-talkie, and his survival booklet. I thought his patch was made over there. Great info here!

Fins...

Thanks Paul for great info here and in emial! I will try to locate this banknotes:) pilot carried it in vinylite pouch or separately?

1stDivVet can You put photos of your friend Father stuff here??? Would be great!

The best regards,

Jerry K.

pararaftanr2

Hi 1stDivVet,

Thanks so much for your input. I would like to second Jerry's request, if you have photos, or any other information you can share with us, it would be most welcome. I've done some research on VPB-111 in the past, as I acquired a grouping from a squadron member that included photos, paperwork and a pistol belt loaded with canteen, first aid pouch, .45 holster, Mk-II knife and E-17 escape kit, all named to that gentleman. Unfortunately, no CBI patch. This squadron flew PB4Y-1s in the Philippines. There is some great information on this squadron available on the web, including photos of all 18 squadron aircraft with their crews. With your friend's father's name, he could probably be identified in a crew photo.

I'm curious to know, if you recall, if his patch showed any signs of having been sewn to a flight jacket? Also, any details on the escape currency he carried?

Hi Jerry,

You are very welcome and thanks to you as always. The currency was carried in the pouch.

Here is a photo from VPB-119, which operated in the same area as VPB-111. The intermediate flight jackets appear to have CBI patches. Note the man standing on the right, who has it attached to his cap. Regards, Paul

post-9787-1270643912.jpg

Hi. This is a wonderful topic. I am wondering if there is a basic difference in the CBI patch worn by Navy personnel vs the CBI patch worn by Army Air Force personnel?

-fritz

pararaftanr2

Hi fritz,

Thank you. I'm of the opinion that the conventional machine embroidered, U.S. made CBI patch was probably the most common version in use by both the Navy and the AAF. No doubt, many theater made examples were worn as well.

post-9787-1270659580.jpg

One of the many unanswered questions I have about the painted Navy CBI variation is why they added silver to the boarder, sun and star, as this was not a feature of the conventional patch. It does, however, make them easier to spot in vintage photos! In this group photo of VC-93, the pilot kneeling on the far right of the second row appears to be wearing a painted patch. Regards, Paul

post-9787-1270661003.jpg

Paul like always Your vintage photos are great. My CBI patch is a standard embroidered, U.S. made...

Also good addition to the kit is: panel emergancy signal, pointie talkie and survival on land and see book. Here is scan from "Last hope" book...

The best regards,

Jerry K.

post-369-1270677091.jpg

pararaftanr2

Gentlemen,

Nothing new has come to light about the painted variation of this patch in the past week, so I thought I'd add images of a US made, fully embroidered, CBI patch with OD border. It is as found, sewn with khaki thread to a Navy M-422a intermediate flight jacket by Fred Osterman. Unfortunately unnamed and unidentified as to unit.

post-9787-1271268211.jpg

pararaftanr2

post-9787-1271268371.jpg

If anyone has examples in their collection of CBI patched Navy uniforms or flight clothing, or any vintage photos of the same they would like to share, please do!

pararaftanr2

Here is an example of an unidentified Hellcat pilot with what appears to be a fully embroidered, khaki bordered, CBI patch:

post-9787-1271268717.jpg