6 replies to this topic

#1 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,763 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:02 PM

these days my wife seems to be the better picker than I. First the M26 officer pair, then the early style Fire Bronze officer service, and now this...I believe a lot of collectors think of it more as a 1926 model, but due to the Fire Bronze one and now this, I'm more inclined to say circa 1920 myself. Notice the stipling style on the globe...not the zig zag style we see on late 20s and on models. Also the Tiffany style clasp and the simple markings of 'Sterling' on the bird and '10K' on the anchor. We know these were used in the 20s and 30s, and to an extent into WWII for private purchase through the H&H Imperial dual hallmarks that have been found on some, and we know the dual mark was only used from 42-43. Nice emblem that went overlooked on eBay

Attached Images

• 100_4544.JPG
  • 100_4547.JPG

#2 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,763 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:03 PM

rear

Attached Images

• 100_4551.JPG

#3 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,533 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:29 AM

...I believe a lot of collectors think of it more as a 1926 model, but due to the Fire Bronze one and now this, I'm more inclined to say circa 1920 myself. Notice the stipling style on the globe...not the zig zag style we see on late 20s and on models.

Quite agree, as some have said "transitional" in nature and in many ways this hand tooled fret work is more attractive than the machined stempling across the globe.

#4 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,763 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:27 PM

at the moment I think I'm down to enlisted M37 singles and that H&H Officer M26...

I'm anal with my matched pairs and like them to be lifetime mates...I realize eventually I'll have to let that go when I get down to just the rare birds...

#5 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

at the moment I think I'm down to enlisted M37 singles and that H&H Officer M26...

I'm anal with my matched pairs and like them to be lifetime mates...I realize eventually I'll have to let that go when I get down to just the rare birds...

Brig,
You are missing out, as some of my best collar sets have been matched up. Here is a set I put together last month. Not too bad for not having bunked together, or mated, or whatever all of their life. I'm almost to the point where every single I pick up matches up to make a set.

Mike

Edited by Brig, 14 May 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#6 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,763 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

I do collect singles on the more uncommon ones...esp older officer ones...but if I can replace them with a lifetime match I do and sell the put togethers, as I recently did with a couple pairs of H&H service emblems

#7 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,533 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:45 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users