USMC Sweetheart Items

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

Have not seen many of these "son in service" thru the years of collecting EGA's. Just curious to know if there others out there who have acquired these pins and from different periods as well?

Did a search and there has not even been a post started, lets see yours...

post_376_1183818077.jpg

post_376_1183819215.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

After putting away the son in service pin posted yesterday, came across some of these that I have picked up thru the years as well. I suppose most were made around WW2. They display well with Division pins and in frames, so forth.

7.5.07_049.jpg

I've picked up a few USMC 'pins' over the years simply because they were there!. Though they represent "son', 'husband' or 'sweetheart' in service, I've found the term "sweetheart pins" is easiest for me.

Here's a few for your viewing pleasure:

SH_EGA_in_circle_obv.JPGSH_EGA_in_circle_rev.JPG

I believe this to be WWII vintage.

SH_EGA_Wosk_in_cello.JPG As is this one still in the original wrapper from a San Diego uniform store

SH_Son_in_Service_Card.JPG

Also still on the card.

SH_Struck_PB_OBV.JPGSH_Struck_PB_Rev.JPG

Beautifully struck piece and obviously worn with pride!

MORE TO FOLLOW........Semper Fi!.....Bob

This "Sweetheart" pin is made from a full-size A&E Co. Sterling Basic Para badge fitted with a loop from which is supended a gold heart-shaped locket which opens to reveal a photo of the ParaMarine. It came with his Posthumous Purple Heart medal in the title PH box. He was WIA in the fighting on Bougainville with the 1st Parachute Regiment, evacuated and died of his wounds in hospital on Guadalcanal.

SH_Para_w_open_locket.JPG

SH_Para__PH.JPG

Here's a very recent acquistion. I believe it's WWI vintage. Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship. The Tiffany-style clasp is marked with a Trident and '14' which I believe is 14K. Cost me a big $15.00! Any guesses on who the maker is?

SH_Gold_EGA_1A_OBV.JPG

SH_Gold_EGA_Rev_2.JPG

SH_Gold_EGA_Rev_CU_3.JPG

Well, here's a mystery....kinda. I picked up this quite nice dress H-H sterling "collar" insignia many years ago and because it was fouled and of the 'earlier' pattern.....pre 1956, I just didn't know what to make of it. It is fully stamped, marked w/ H-H logo twice, 'Sterling' and '1/20 10K+sterling'. Looks like a small version of an officer's hat badge. Could be an early shoulder board EGA? Didn't know.

SH_3_H_H_PB_GF_Fully_Struck__OBV.JPGSH_3_H_H_PB_GF_Fully_Struck__REV.JPG

Then I got the following. Same die-strike BUT in Sterling & 10K with a separately applied fouled anchor. Beautiful insignia. Still think early evening dress shoulder boards

SH_2_H_H_PB_10K_Ster_OBV.JPG

Reverse of previous:

SH_2_H_H_PB_10K_Ster_Rev.JPG

Then I picked up a an identical version of the first, fully struck in sterling. All lefts I might add so now I'm beginning to wonder about my theory on those early Evening Dress shoulder boards..

Then lo and behold, I'm in a tent in field at an antique fair here in Texas and sparkling before my very eyes is another of these little jewels...........BUT this one is different............

SH_H_H_1_PB_Rhinestones_OBV.JPGIT"S STUDDED WITH RHINESTONES on the continents!!!!!!!!!!!! It's also marked sterling and H-H but has the the separately applied fouled anchor of the 2nd post but this one has no 10K. SH_H_H_1_PB_Rhinestones_Rev.JPGThree different variations of this lovely (no pun intended) Hilborne-Hamburger insignia. Quite sure now they were all made the Marine's ladies, duringWWII I guess, but all comments, opinions, obsevations will be well-received. Semper Fi.......Bob

• 5 weeks later...
usmc-collector

Will appreciate any information identifing this ega, pattern, time period used and etc. Marked Sterling, Meyer. Thanks JAROSLAV

post-31-1186597874.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Your emblem is known as a "sweetheart" pin. It is of the same size and characteristics of those EGA's worn by Marine Officers on their service or dress blouse, in this case it does not have a finish associated with either uniform blouse. The screw post has been replaced with pin to affix to an article of civilian clothing. More can be seen on this thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p;hl=sweetheart

A few more "sweetheart" examples.

This is a small pin back emblem. It is solid brass and measures 3/4" top to bottom. The pin catch is the 1930's style straight drop-in. No markings.

Gary

post-84-1186652407.jpg

post-84-1186652429.jpg

A recent gift from a good friend. This appears to be a homemade bakelite cape brooch and has the same sweetheart emblems from the previous post. The emblems have been frosted silver and tacked to the brooch, but identical in every way, including size.

If anyone has information on exactly what this piece of jewelry may have been used for, please let me know. Cape brooch is the only thing I can think of?

Gary

post-84-1186652803.jpg

post-84-1186652822.jpg

post-84-1186652835.jpg

post-84-1186652858.jpg

post-84-1186652877.jpg

A cast sweetheart emblem in the M1914 pattern. This emblem is pretty close to actual size and has the eyelet ring cast right in. It would be nice to know what it was attached to, but whatever the top part was is long gone.

Gary

post-84-1186653154.jpg

post-84-1186653168.jpg

I'm not exactly sure if this is a sweetheart piece or not. My guess is that it could be a collar emblem for a child's Marine play uniform. When I found this about 20 years ago in an antique store button jar, there were two identical emblems, both being for the same side with one having a gold finish. I can't remember what I did with the gold emblem, but was wondering if anyone has seen these before or know what they were used on? They are rather small, measuring slightly under 3/4" and are cast in plastic with an eyelet for sewing.

Gary

post-84-1186654355.jpg

post-84-1186654367.jpg

post-84-1186654379.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Gary, great additions to our "sweetheart" section... especially like the "button"... guess I need to be on the lookout when cruising those baskets ;) . Thanks for sharing with us.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an assortment of 9 different sweetheart pieces I've gathered along my travels. the handkerchief glows, the patch does not. I think they're both WWII era...any opinions?

Sweetheart.jpg

Here's an assortment of 9 different sweetheart pieces I've gathered along my travels

You know you're supposed to give those to a sweetheart, not hoard them.

a few small emblems. the top one is an enlisted version China Marine EGA, very tiny, goldmarked 1/20. No loop for a chain, so this is the whole piece. Do you guys think pre-WWII or WWII following old regs?

the silver one was once gold covered but it has worn off. Again, guessing WWII.

the brown one I don't know about, looks like it was glued to something, maybe a bigger piece? Again, guessing WWII

Mini_EGAs_1.jpg

You know you're supposed to give those to a sweetheart, not hoard them.

my sweetheart left me when I was in Iraq. her loss, my gain, I guess :lol:

nice, gold marked chain and locket, no picture, and a small EGA which looks like it was meant for a locket or other sweetheart piece, designed off the tilted potmetal late WWII varient. I'm guessing the necklace is early WWII and the small piece later?

Jewelry.jpg

last piece, very cool trenchart sweetheart bracelet links of aluminum (rations cans or plane piece maybe?) with EGAs on them, and a scrap of metal with a couple of Japanese symbols scratched in. Very cool, my personal favorite of the bunch

Bracelet.jpg