Major Gen. Herbert J. Vander Heide Mess Dress

jjdevi1

Just did some horse trading and am now the proud owner of MG H. J. Vander Heide's white mess dress. I'm coming up blank on the internet on him. Does anybody have anything on the good General?

Thanks,

John

Just did some horse trading and am now the proud owner of MG H. J. Vander Heide's white mess dress. I'm coming up blank on the internet on him. Does anybody have anything on the good General?

Thanks,

John

John,

This is excerpted from the U.S. Army Register 1 January 1961

VANDER HEIDE, Herbert John (O17754) B-MICH 26 Nov 03

Earned SS(OLC), LM(2OLC), BSM(OLC), AM, CR, PH

Received his BS from USMA 1929, promoted to BG 30 Nov 1955

John,

This is excerpted from the U.S. Army Register 1 January 1961

VANDER HEIDE, Herbert John (O17754) B-MICH 26 Nov 03

Earned SS(OLC), LM(2OLC), BSM(OLC), AM, CR, PH

Received his BS from USMA 1929, promoted to BG 30 Nov 1955

Beast.

Thanks tons!!!!! Gives me a good starting point! I'm betting he retired as a MG. This one ought to be fun to trace out. Will post pics when I get the chance.

Thanks,

John

Here it is...... Needs a good cleaning! The white is a little dingy. The neat thing is the stars are bullion and woven right into the sleeve.

Johnpost-857-1183831965.jpg

Very nice!

Now, all it needs is the mini medals and the mini qual badges. I figure since he made BG in '66, that this might date from 68/9 or so. I'm debating trying to find the period materials to do the minis, or just going with current mfg. Any thoughts?

John

I bought Vanderheide's kakhi uniform from Bill about four years ago. I did some research on him at the time - I'll poke around and see if I can find anything that might be left over.

Dave

I bought Vanderheide's kakhi uniform from Bill about four years ago. I did some research on him at the time - I'll poke around and see if I can find anything that might be left over.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anything would be appreciated! Getting lazy in my old age! LOL I think Bill has another of his white mess dress, I'm trading off some of my un-named AEF tunics to him.

John

Dave,

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anything would be appreciated! Getting lazy in my old age! LOL I think Bill has another of his white mess dress, I'm trading off some of my un-named AEF tunics to him.

John

You should have seen what he had before I bought 30+ general officer uniforms from him! :D I never went for the mess dress though since I thought his prices were too steep for me to for resale, thus the reason they're still there.

I'll look around and see what I have!

Dave

Dave

Dave,

If you decide to unload it, I would be extremely interested! Did it have the ribbon rack on it?

Thanks,

John

Dave,

If you decide to unload it, I would be extremely interested! Did it have the ribbon rack on it?

Thanks,

John

Hi John:

I unfortunately unloaded it ages ago (back in about 2005). Here's a pic I took of it just as it came back from the cleaners (it was ungodly dirty!!!) pinch.gif

I never could figure out what all the ribbons were.

Dave

VanderPre1.jpg