3rd Inf Div Thread

ken1967

• 5 weeks later...

:)

I do not have any 3rd ID dedicated militaria but I may add to this thread unique 3rd ID uniforms for hot climate... :lol:

Isn't the Army lovely? thumbsup.gif

post-75-1178527510.jpg

I tried to pick up a copy of this picture once at an eBay auction....went a little pricey for me. But you got to love the uniforms! thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Latest addition is a nice framed painted silk occupation banner. It looks like it was stored in an attic and took a little beating from the time there, but still a neat piece.

post-79-1180143933.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is the start of my 3 Infantry Division collection. The items pictured are items that had belonged to my grandfather. I am currently researching his military services

post-1400-1185287397.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Great 3ID items everyone!

Here are a couple of my recent additions. First is a WWI EM summer uniform. A nice WWI addition to the collection!

post-79-1187548240.jpg

The second addition is from my lovely wife on my birthday. I think she's catching on thumbsup.gif

A nice WWI artillery officers uniform.

post-79-1187548317.jpg

post-79-1187548323.jpg

• 8 months later...

Ken,

Your uncles photograph is on our units website! My unit portrays First Bn., U.S. 30th Infantry Reg't.. Thats too cool you uncle was in Second Bn., U.S. 30th Infantry Reg't.. Mt. Rotundo is the resting place for MANY of Second Battalion of the 30th Infantry, Col. Lyle Bernard was a crazy SOB for a Bn. CO. the man had second Bn. do a frontal assault on pillboxes, entrenched and barbwire positions with interlocking fire rushing downhill, not realizing in taking Mt. Rotundo he had lost a 1/3 rd of his Bn. :blink:

Are you going to be attending the 3rd Division reunion in Columbus this year? We're going to be there. Its in late August, early September.

Regards,

FRISCAN

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Here is an IDed M-1941 Combat Field Jacket to a Member of the 3rd Inf Div with a lot of Blood Stains to the rear of it.

Just seeing this Thread today and its Excellent Thanks to everyone for keeping it up and running great stuff and well done :thumbsup:

So i said i would add to it also.. With what i have got in my collection as i havent seing a M-41 Field Jacket in here yet.

Regards

Tomás :thumbsup: .

post-11464-1309022030.jpg

stingerwooten

I know this isn't a 3rd ID example but it is an excellent example of a uniform with a veritable cornucopia of hashmarks and service stripes. The soldier pictured is unknown:

insignia_sgt.jpg

OK, here we go. Mid 1930's (coat is M1934, I think) worn by MSG of 38th "Rock of the Marne" Infantry. Definitely an old soldier -- 9 hashmarks = 27+ years. (I figure he retired at 30) Patch is embroidered felt. DI's are screwback(SB) as are discs.

If you look at the left sleeve you can see why they moved the overseas V's and bars to the right sleeve about the time of Korea. If this guy had been overseas with the 1st Cav Div, his sleeve would not have been long enough!

It came with matching breeches, visor and his garrison belt and leggings.

The breeches are named, but I have never researched him. I have seen a 38th history published about then, but I never looked to see if he was listed.

This one was a real hit at ASMIC a couple of years ago,

Enjoy!

Captainofthe7th

I've always enjoyed 3rd ID items - I'd have to say it's one of my 'favorite' divisions. It has a rich history and I enjoy seeing items from all periods...unlike many units that I feel selective about. It's nice to see all the material on here! Here's my contribution of Marne division material:

The artillery Ike is named and I found the soldier's 'roster' basically on the Korean War project. Very cool to get that. Otherwise a very simple uniform but I like it. The SFC Ike is not named, but the bullion work is killer and overall has a nice application of theater made insignias. I have another on the way with similar patches!

DSCF5363.jpg

I purchased this helmet form another member who had started the stripping process. I finished it and am really pleased with the helmet. Still needs a little bit of touching up but it's a great Korean War lid.

DSCF5364.jpg

And here's a uniform to a 3rd ID vet of WWII who later served with the 24th in Korea. I believe his PH is for WWII service.

DSCF2864.jpg

Enjoy!

Rob