3rd Inf Div Thread

ken1967

Can't wait to see it! thumbsup.gif

Well, here's a Korean War 3rd ID helmet. The camouflage appears to have been put on with spong or a rag and features several colors. I am told the div. insignia is smaller on WW2 helmets. The insignia appears on one side only.

I assume the double vertical bars on the back are for a CPT/Company commander

Enjoy!

132_3261__2___R.jpg

132_3262___R.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful helmet!! From my research the 3ID insignia is about 2.5 inches square on WWII lids. Maybe I'll locate one at the SOS this year!

My latest uniform arrived this week. Another beautiful Pre-WWII four pocket with an almost mint felt patch! This one has tailored back and sides that have been brought in and also has metal rings to hold the buttons in place (similar to the German's S-Rings).

post-79-1171666649.jpg

post-79-1171666658.jpg

My latest uniform arrived this week. Another beautiful Pre-WWII four pocket with an almost mint felt patch! This one has tailored back and sides that have been brought in and also has metal rings to hold the buttons in place (similar to the German's S-Rings).

I will have another '30's example to post as soon as I get my pix back. I think you'll like it.

I will have another '30's example to post as soon as I get my pix back. I think you'll like it.

OK, here we go. Mid 1930's (coat is M1934, I think) worn by MSG of 38th "Rock of the Marne" Infantry. Definitely an old soldier -- 9 hashmarks = 27+ years. (I figure he retired at 30) Patch is embroidered felt. DI's are screwback(SB) as are discs.

If you look at the left sleeve you can see why they moved the overseas V's and bars to the right sleeve about the time of Korea. If this guy had been overseas with the 1st Cav Div, his sleeve would not have been long enough!

It came with matching breeches, visor and his garrison belt and leggings.

The breeches are named, but I have never researched him. I have seen a 38th history published about then, but I never looked to see if he was listed.

This one was a real hit at ASMIC a couple of years ago,

Enjoy!

132_3282__3__1___2_.jpg

132_3282__2__1___2_.jpg

I was a Platoon Leader with D Co, 2/30 Infantry from 1986-1989. We were reflagged in 1989 as the 5/15 Infantry. During the summer of '89, our company began to train up for a border mission. I recommended to the Company Commander that we have a souvenier patch made up at a little trophy shop down the street from the kasserne. I left before we did the mission (we usually covered the Christmas period), but when I got back to the states, I found this patch at a gunshow. One of the interesting things (other than my CO listen to me) was that the wall came down that year and this was one of the last border missions we would pull.

post-203-1172200729.jpg

One of my 2007 SOS Purchases: Double patched WWI jacket (and pants)

Nice looking coat, Ken. Looks like the sgt took an officer's coat and "enlistedized" it (ie., took off the officer cuff braid and added his chevron). Nice patches on it.

Kurt

• 3 weeks later...

All,

Taking a break from the female uniforms this week. More to follow but I felt like doing something different.

Here is my entry into the 3rd Division topic:

post-594-1174246197.jpgpost-594-1174246213.jpg

This is the uniform of Private Eugene Waud. E Company, 4th Infantry Regiment.

post-594-1174246252.jpg

E Company, 4th Infantry Regiment

post-594-1174246271.jpg

A post-war 3rd Div re-union medal. Above the emamel insignia it says "3rd Div A.E.F." The medal was made by "Whitehead and Hoag" (who else?).

post-594-1174246234.jpg

A close up of Waud's helmet.

Chris

Here is my only 3rd Division item and only WWI group. Local vet who was with I Co. 30th Regt. The tunic is pretty nice with 2 o/s bars and discharge chevron. The painted helmet has no liner but was his. Enjoy, Mark

post-527-1174352564.jpg

These were the goodies that came along with the uniform, his o/s hat, a mint extra 3rd Div.patch, a 72 hr. pass, wallet, shaving kit, French cigarette papers and a 3rd Div. certificate with the Division battle honors. I'm now finished collecting WWI, enjoy, Mark

post-527-1174352870.jpg post-527-1174352890.jpg

Mark, an outstanding WWI collection! I would think you could wrap up WWI with all that cool stuff and be quite content!

Ken,

Did I miss it, or have you posted photos of the display for your uncle. I always enjoyed seeing it and watching it evolve. thumbsup.gif

Hey Jim,

I've actually scaled back the display to a simpler and more meaniful (I think) form. I did post it on another thread but can't remember where it was.

In case anyone hasn't heard, my 3ID collecting started after researching my uncle that was KIA in WWII at Mt Rotundo, Italy. I found out that he was a member of the 30th Inf Rgt, 3rd Inf Div.

While building the tribute display for him I began to research the division and found the niche I was looking for in my collecting. I am now building a nice 3ID collection that spans WWI to OIF 3. It has added a new depth to my collecting and increased my appreciation of our veterans and their accomplishments.

The best part of the entire process has been the gratitude of my dad and my aunt for researching their brother and helping them fill in the blanks to a history they never knew how to find. Additionally, I have been able to meet a veteran of the 30th Rgt/3ID that knew my uncle and fought on Mt Rotundo and Anzio. He and I have exchanged many phone calls and it looks like I'll have the opportunity to be in his part of the country next month and will have time for a face-to-face visit! I've never enjoyed this hobby more!

Below is a picture of the current tribute display. The PH was posthumously awarded to my uncle and is engraved with his name. The flag is from his burial ceremony in '46 when he was brought back to the states and buried at the local National Cemetary.

post-79-1174614746.jpg

This is a follow-up to the WWI ID bracelet that I posted earlier. Today I received copies of the awards cards from St. Louis.

post-203-1175047814.jpg

Also I wanted to post this studio shot of Seiberling. He wasn't awarded his DSC until after the war.

post-203-1175047333.jpg

As a former MARNE MAN, I am enjoying seeing all of these 3d ID items.

Here is an ID bracelet that I picked up for $10.00 at a local antique shop. Nothing special about until I started to do the research.

post-203-1170555367.jpg

Seiberling, Paul Adelbert

First lieutenant, 9th Machine Gun Battalion, 3d Division

Distinguished-Service Cross. General Orders No. 53, War Department, 1920: Near Madeleine Farm, France, October 16, 1918, Lieutenant Seiberling, with a comrade, exposed himself to heavy enemy machine-gun fire in crawling forward in advance of lines to rescue a wounded soldier. The wounded man was lying in a shell hole about 100 yards in advance of our lines. The rescuers were subject to enemy machine-gun fire from the time they left our lines until they returned.

Silver Star. General Orders No. 22, Headquarters 3d Division, A.E.F., July 8, 1919: The Commanding General desire to record in General Orders the valor and devotion to duty of these officers and men of the 3d Division. Their individual deeds, summed up, have created the glorious record enjoyed by the Marne Division, from those unforgettable days at Chateau-Thierry, in the defense of Paris, to the Victory Drive which began on the banks of the Marne, and continued relentlessly until its brilliant conclusion in the Argonne before Sedan: ......9thg Machine Gun Battalion .....Paul A. Seiberling, second lieutenant, Company A ....At Hill 241, near Cierges, France, October 9, 1918, Lieutenant Seiberling personally reconnoitered under heavy machine-gun and artillery fire for new gun positions. He also crawled out from his position under heavy fire to rescue a wounded man that was shot through the legs. Robert L. Howze, Major General, Commanding.

Record. Born January 20, 1895, Jonesboro; son of A.F. and Angie (Cline) Seiberling. Student, Purdue University. Enlisted May 12, 1917, Fort Benjamin Harrison. Training: Fort Benjamin Harrison. Second lieutenant, August 15, 1917; first lieutenant, April 11, 1919. Assigned to Casual Officers' Detachment, school duty overseas for one year as student and instructor in various machine-gun schools; transferred to 9th Machine Gun Battalion, October 1, 1918. Overseas September 11, 1917 - July 15, 1919.