3rd Inf Div Thread

ken1967

As suggested, I would like to start a thread to showcase 3rd Infantry Division items. Please feel free to post your 3ID items here!

I'll start with a few of my displayed uniforms.

Left to Right: WWI, Korea, OIF 1, OIF 2

post-79-1167494007.jpg

More Uniforms: WWII (2), Korea, OIF DCU (Infantry.Medic)

post-79-1167494090.jpg

This is one of my favorites! 30th Rgt of the 3rd Inf Div.

My uncle was part of the 30th when he was killed at Mt Rotundo, Italy in WWII.

post-79-1167524354.jpg

I love the different era's next to each other especially the helmets. Brilliant! I only have a modern DCU from OIF from the 3rd ID I think. I'll have to check though.

Here are the only two 3rd ID items I own. The first is from the 38th Infantry regiment of WWI. The patch is a nice velvet and bullion one, and the uniform features regiment numbered disks and a "38th Infantry Rock of the Marne" pin. The soldier had one years overseas as well...I just wish it was named!

Ken

post-99-1167580830.jpg

post-99-1167580845.jpg

post-99-1167580908.jpg

My other 3rd ID piece is below. It is unnamed (not even a partial serial number remains- the solider used a laundry tag and it was ripped out), but is a wonderful infantry item. This sergeant was with the 7th Infantry Regiment (pinback DUIs) and was awarded the bronze star with valor. The ribbon bar on his large star has remnants of silver on it, so this soldier battled through 8 campaigns. Doing the arithmetic, I figure he was in the Sicily, Naples-Foggia, Anzio, Rome-Arno, Southern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and the Central Europe campaigns.

post-99-1167581423.jpg

post-99-1167581439.jpg

I do not know much about the original owner all I think I found out was that he was from NY and that was about it. You must forgive the pics, I found out after I took the pictures I had a smudge on my lense.

pinch.gif

DCUFront.jpg

DCUArmy.jpg

DCUName.jpg

DCUID.jpg

One relative extra item...Green Crackle camo finish lighter by PARK, has a soldier name carved in “Rafael Duffrey” and what look like the 3rd Infantry stripes painted on it:

0840aif3.jpg

Some nice items Ricardo! I've fallen absolutely in love with uniforms this year and have added most of the 3ID uniforms I've posted in this thread this year. They just take up so much room! Oh well, I guess it could be worse.

Thanks for sharing!

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've added a 3ID uniform to the collection...

This is a 3ID Nomex Flight Jacket. Faded and dirty, but still a pretty neat piece.

post-79-1170382315.jpg

Thanks! I'm still searching for that elusive WWII 3ID helmet though.

Please post your DCU once you get a picture of it!

I have one, and as soon as I can learn how to downsize frickin pictures, I'll post it.

Rich R

The Cuyahoga/Medina County Border, Ohio

Can't wait to see it! thumbsup.gif

I have one, and as soon as I can learn how to downsize frickin pictures, I'll post it.

Rich R

The Cuyahoga/Medina County Border, Ohio

As a former MARNE MAN, I am enjoying seeing all of these 3d ID items.

Here is an ID bracelet that I picked up for $10.00 at a local antique shop. Nothing special about until I started to do the research.

post-203-1170555367.jpg

Seiberling, Paul Adelbert

First lieutenant, 9th Machine Gun Battalion, 3d Division

Distinguished-Service Cross. General Orders No. 53, War Department, 1920: Near Madeleine Farm, France, October 16, 1918, Lieutenant Seiberling, with a comrade, exposed himself to heavy enemy machine-gun fire in crawling forward in advance of lines to rescue a wounded soldier. The wounded man was lying in a shell hole about 100 yards in advance of our lines. The rescuers were subject to enemy machine-gun fire from the time they left our lines until they returned.

Silver Star. General Orders No. 22, Headquarters 3d Division, A.E.F., July 8, 1919: The Commanding General desire to record in General Orders the valor and devotion to duty of these officers and men of the 3d Division. Their individual deeds, summed up, have created the glorious record enjoyed by the Marne Division, from those unforgettable days at Chateau-Thierry, in the defense of Paris, to the Victory Drive which began on the banks of the Marne, and continued relentlessly until its brilliant conclusion in the Argonne before Sedan: ......9thg Machine Gun Battalion .....Paul A. Seiberling, second lieutenant, Company A ....At Hill 241, near Cierges, France, October 9, 1918, Lieutenant Seiberling personally reconnoitered under heavy machine-gun and artillery fire for new gun positions. He also crawled out from his position under heavy fire to rescue a wounded man that was shot through the legs. Robert L. Howze, Major General, Commanding.

Record. Born January 20, 1895, Jonesboro; son of A.F. and Angie (Cline) Seiberling. Student, Purdue University. Enlisted May 12, 1917, Fort Benjamin Harrison. Training: Fort Benjamin Harrison. Second lieutenant, August 15, 1917; first lieutenant, April 11, 1919. Assigned to Casual Officers' Detachment, school duty overseas for one year as student and instructor in various machine-gun schools; transferred to 9th Machine Gun Battalion, October 1, 1918. Overseas September 11, 1917 - July 15, 1919.