5 replies to this topic

#1 JerryK

JerryK
  • Members
    • Member ID: 213
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

Hello,

Can anyone out there tell me if this is a WW2 era pin? The marking on the back is AMICO and Sterling 1/20 K. The pin opens to 90 degrees.

Jerry

marine_parawing_2.jpg

parawing_front.jpg

#2 KurtA

KurtA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 322
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:32 PM

Jerry-
Yes, I would say it's a WW2 era wing and a very nice one.
Kurt

#3 USMCR79

USMCR79
  • Members
    • Member ID: 248
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:56 PM

I thought that the paramarines of WWII wore the Army style jump wings (I saw a picture of Ira Hayes with an Army style wing).

Maybe some of the other guys can tell when the Naval Parachutist wing was authorized. My guess is 1958.

Nice wing!!

Bill

#4 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,812 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:25 PM

in WWII, this was enstated for Navy and Marine personnel who were qualified Parachute Riggers. However, some Marines prefered them over the silver and wore them against regs. This style wing wasn't authorized for jump qualification until years later, I think in the 60s.

this looks like an original Navy Parachute Rigger Qualification Badge, WWII era. a well worn but nice example of an Amico wing. I have a set in my collection from the Wosk surplus, but it is unmarked. I like your set a lot

#5 JerryK

JerryK
  • Members
    • Member ID: 213
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for the replies fellows.

Jerry

#6 USMCRECON

USMCRECON
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,107
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:46 PM

in WWII, this was enstated for Navy and Marine personnel who were qualified Parachute Riggers. However, some Marines prefered them over the silver and wore them against regs. This style wing wasn't authorized for jump qualification until years later, I think in the 60s.

this looks like an original Navy Parachute Rigger Qualification Badge, WWII era. a well worn but nice example of an Amico wing. I have a set in my collection from the Wosk surplus, but it is unmarked. I like your set a lot

I went from Nam to Okinawa for jump school in 1967 and was issued gold jump wings that looked like these. It was my beliefe that they had been common issue for at least several years at that point. When I got back to CONUS, I bought a pair of gold-plated sterling ones and still have them.

Semper fi; Bill

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users