506th dogtag

jurgo

:D ok guys what do you think of this dogtag he says its a groundfound in france

http://cgi.ebay.de/US-Erkennungsmarke-506t...1QQcmdZViewItem

Bodenfund Frankreich, Erkennungsmarke eines Offiziers des 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment (Band of Brothers), der 101st Airborne Division aus Dallas/ Georgia. Die Marke ist ein wenig angelaufen, aber nicht durchgerostet oder so. Habe die Marke vor einigen Jahren in Frankreich von einem Sammler erstanden.

Here is the translation for our non-German speakers. GSL (German as a Second Language) :D

Found in the ground in France, dog tag belonged to an officer of the 506th Parachute Inf Reg (Band of Brothers), of the 101st Airborne Div from Dallas/Georgia. The tag shows a bit of corrosion, but isn't rusted through. Got the tag a couple of years ago from a French collector.

is that an address on the tag?? did they actually put addresses on tags then? I wouldn't, that tells the enemy where you live and where to go. or maybe that just applies to the war with terrorists, who're known to send packages and blackmail to families

KASTAUFFER
is that an address on the tag?? did they actually put addresses on tags then? I wouldn't, that tells the enemy where you live and where to go. or maybe that just applies to the war with terrorists, who're known to send packages and blackmail to families

Early WWII US Army tags did have the NOK addresses on them . Fake tags have been known to come out of Europe lately, so unless I dug it myself....... you get the picture!

Kurt

not like tags are hard to reproduce. get a blank, go to a stamping machine, presto.

I have looked at this thing a couple of times now and I have to tell you that something just doesn't sit right with this one for me. I have several 506th dog tags that were stamped when this one should have been and I think the fonts are slightly different. All my tags were Veteran obtained.

Hope this helps.

Jeffrey Magut

I did a quick check on the net:

Kenneth A. Beatty

ID: O1285532

Entered the Service From: Georgia

Service: U.S. Army, 506th Parachute Infantry Regt, 101st Airborne Division

Died: Tuesday, June 06, 1944

Buried at: Normandy American Cemetery

Plot: B Row: 16 Grave: 26

Awards: Purple Heart

Makes you wonder where in France, the collector dug this tag? Ghoulish if true, distastefully sleazy if fake.

Sparkyasundevil
I have looked at this thing a couple of times now and I have to tell you that something just doesn't sit right with this one for me. I have several 506th dog tags that were stamped when this one should have been and I think the fonts are slightly different. All my tags were Veteran obtained.

Hope this helps.

Jake and all,

After doing more research, it turns out that this tag IS a fake.

Please take a look at the pictures attached. They are from the same seller of the Beatty tag. I find it damn near impossible that the same guy would have a dog tag with the same type of flaws that the Beatty tag had on it. Look how the letters are mis-aligned and no Tetanus or religion info either.

Plus, this tag looks extremely artificially aged.

By the way, the guy on this tag was 82nd Airborne 505th.

post-1-1184120329.jpg

88thcollector
Jake and all,

Please take a look at the pictures attached. They are from the same seller of the Beatty tag. I find it damn near impossible that the same guy would have a dog tag with the same type of flaws that the Beatty tag had on it. Look how the letters are mis-aligned and no Tetanus or religion info either.

http://img470.No_outside_hosting.us/img470/4165/img2896hx8.jpg

I know this is a little off topic but it concerns the economics of fakery.

I deal in Roman and Medieval artifacts as one of my sidelines. The fakery that goes on in Bulgaria, Moesia and all over the Danube region is staggering. They produce coins, toga pins, important pieces and very minor and inexpensive artifacts from bronze, copper and brass. Many confound established experts; even the insignificant pieces are often very good. Complex fake toga pins with a baked on patina and encrusted with dirt can be bought for $5.00 or less.

Making a fake dogtag would not present any challenge whatsoever to these fake shops. They could do one from scratch in a day. They have patination and aging down to a science. With these tags selling in the 100's of dollars, expect to see a flood of them coming soon to eBay.

Steve

Jake and all,

http://img470.No_outside_hosting.us/img470/4165/img2896hx8.jpg

The other thing I dont like about these tags is how red the rust is. Red rust is NEW rust.

Kurt

I am relatively new at dogtag collecting, but this does not even fool me. I am not sure, but besides the giveaway uneven lettering, the metal should be rust free monel or brass.

CB

Here is what tags look like that have been around the block. All are darker in color than the pic I took indicates . They look more green in color than anything else. Two of them are Monel tags, but I believe one is a steel tag . Notice there is no rust on these.

These items represent a sad story. They are dogtags brought back from the Philippines by Chaplain Borneman who was at Cabanatuan. I dont know how he got them. They do almost look like they spent time in the ground.

Two of the dogtags are from soldiers that died on Hellships being transported from the Philippines to Japan, and two are from POW's that survived . The round one was made from a coin after the start of the war. Robert A Nail and Roy R. Northup were both members of the 60th CA and died on the Arisan Maru . R.H. Ridgley was a Major in the Marine Corps at the time and survived the Journey on the hellship Oryoku Maru and the Enoura Maru. He later retired as a Major General . Emmett Kilmer was transported from the Philippines to China and survived the war. I actually spoke to Mr Kilmer about 10 years ago and he does not remember how the Chaplain ended up with his tag! I dont know how he ended up with them either. As a group they do represent what happened to many POW's .

tags.jpg