• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 1canpara

1canpara
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,167
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:47 PM

Hi all, I have recently picked up a couple of nice, not-messed-with front seam, fixed bail helmet shells, but they have no straps on them. Does anyone know of where I can acquire some original period chinstraps and is there anyone out there that can put them on in the proper manner..? or should I just leave them alone and display them without straps?...they have no markings or ID on them, just plain ol' shells....

#2 Justin

Justin
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,305
  • 9,098 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:50 PM

Hi all, I have recently picked up a couple of nice, not-messed-with front seam, fixed bail helmet shells, but they have no straps on them. Does anyone know of where I can acquire some original period chinstraps and is there anyone out there that can put them on in the proper manner..? or should I just leave them alone and display them without straps?...they have no markings or ID on them, just plain ol' shells....

Original strap sets come around on ebay once in a while (they won't be cheap, but shouldn't be too much) There's a pair on ebay now. http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2305e325c5 As for putting them on I don't know, perhaps J Murray over at http://www.jmurrayinc1944.com/ can put them on for you?

Here's a set of late war straps by the same seller also. http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2305e30ef4

Edited by Justin, 13 March 2010 - 01:53 PM.

#3 cherokee tj

cherokee tj
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,645
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 01:55 PM

If you find some look for a shoe shop in your area and they can sew them on for you. It will help if you have a photo of the original stiching.

#4 1canpara

1canpara
  • Members
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:00 PM

thanks to both Justin and Cherokee for such rapid responses...I'll be watching those straps on e-bay...

#5 BOLO

BOLO
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,885
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:07 PM

you could buy some repros from J Murray and weather them so the age matches the shell then hand sew them on with cotton thead.

some GI's hand sewed chin straps to replace damaged straps, sending the helmet in to have straps bar tacked will cost more than it's worth, thats why I would hand sew them on myself

since the originals are gone, I think it's acceptable to put some authentic reproduction straps on the helmet

#6 Captainofthe7th

Captainofthe7th
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,190
  • 3,413 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:43 PM

You may be able to use a household sewing machine if you get the correct needle for bartacking. Remember the chinstraps are heavy duty and when sewn on you need to go through three layers of that. If you want to avoid that and sending/taking it somewhere, you can always do it by hand like BOLO said. Make sure you get a thimble, though, you'll need it.

Rob

#7 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,726
  • 11,554 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:50 AM

You may be able to use a household sewing machine if you get the correct needle for bartacking. Remember the chinstraps are heavy duty and when sewn on you need to go through three layers of that. If you want to avoid that and sending/taking it somewhere, you can always do it by hand like BOLO said. Make sure you get a thimble, though, you'll need it.

Rob

Actually, most household machines don't have the horsepower to push through that triple layer of chin strap fabric. You'll need someone with a commercial grade machine similar to what leather crafters or shoe repair services use. Here's a link that'll give you a gage on what original bar-tacking looks like and how it was done: http://www.usmilitar...d...&hl=bartack

If the OP chooses to hand sew these, plan on having a very large needle and lots of patience because it'll take you at least an hour to do it correctly so that it looks somewhat close to original. Years ago I did a few of these and found that a small pliers actually worked better than a thimble to push the needle through. If it were me, I'd be finding someone to do it for me.

Finally if your going to use this helmet for display only, find a nice set of cut-offs from someplace like eBay, in which they have left the original bar-tack thread still in the straps. You can use super glue to put these back on, it holds very well and it has that original bar-tack look!

#8 ClaptonIsGod

ClaptonIsGod
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,251
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:30 AM

For my fix bail shell I got some repro straps from J Murray, it has a repro USMC cover and liner strap in it so I didn't age it, brought it to the tailor and they put it on, the tack was only slightly far away from the middle and that's because the machine couldn't go that close.
CIMG1310.JPG

Posted Image

#9 bfryar44

bfryar44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 90
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:03 AM

I do helmet bartacking using NOS WW2 USGI thread. It's not exactly like the original but it looks very close.

Bryan

Here is an example of my work.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/bfryar44/IMG_0246.jpg

Another
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/bfryar44/IMG_0242.jpg

Another
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/bfryar44/IMG_0268.jpg

Spools of various thread
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/bfryar44/IMG_0249.jpg

#10 BOLO

BOLO
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,885
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:04 AM

another tip if you hand sew them is after you get the folds right, use a hammer and flatten out the material to get the shape and the crease so everythings lined up before you start sewing.

#11 sgtdorango

sgtdorango
  • Members
    • Member ID: 350
  • 9,589 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:13 AM

Bryan, you do some nice sewing!!......mike

#12 gaz232sqn

gaz232sqn
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,558
  • 850 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:43 AM

Hi.

I have attatched a couple of chinstaps recently, a real pain to try and match the original bartack look, as said before ,it's a bit of a knightmare to get the needle through, I soaked mine in water to soften them up a bit first.

Goood luck :thumbsup:

#13 bfryar44

bfryar44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 90
  • 771 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:42 AM

Thanks Mike, I use an older sewing machine that does a pretty good bartack. I've sewn many helmet chinstraps over the past 17 years. If anyone needs a helmet sewn send me a PM.

Bryan

#14 Justin

Justin
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,305
  • 9,098 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

I'll say! Good stuff!

#15 1canpara

1canpara
  • Members
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:23 PM

yes indeed Bryan, that's some pretty fine sewing, and thanks for all the replies...I don't think I have the patience or the fine motor skills to pull off the DIY job, so if/when I find some decent straps (preferably originals / cut-offs) I'll look you up Bryan. I've acquired some decent helmets in the past few months and when I figure out how to adjust the resolution of my digital camera to fit the posting allowances, I'll show a few of them off,

thanks again everyone, this forum is a goldmine of info!

#16 asianairborne

asianairborne
  • Members
    • Member ID: 73,550
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

Nice sewing job!

#17 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader
  • Members
    • Member ID: 15,934
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:27 AM

yes indeed Bryan, that's some pretty fine sewing, and thanks for all the replies...I don't think I have the patience or the fine motor skills to pull off the DIY job, so if/when I find some decent straps (preferably originals / cut-offs) I'll look you up Bryan. I've acquired some decent helmets in the past few months and when I figure out how to adjust the resolution of my digital camera to fit the posting allowances, I'll show a few of them off,

thanks again everyone, this forum is a goldmine of info!

Microsoft used to have a free download for Image Resizer that works well it will reduce your photo with one click and you can usually put 3 on one of the forum postings. I tried to download or copy mine to send you (I've used since 2001) but could not figure out how to do it. Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)