Guadalcanal Diorama, 1:35 Scale

Old Marine

I thought I would dig this out and show it before "The Pacific" airs Sunday night. I made this diorama about 12 years ago and it has been in the back of the closet for 10 of those years. This diorama is my depiction of the of the first big attempt by the Japanese to retake the airfield on Guadalcanal on 20 August 1942. This first battle is some times called the battle of the Tenaru River, but in actuality this fight took place on a smaller river called the Ilu a little to the west of the bigger Tenaru river. I have also seen this action referred to as the "Battle of Alligator Creek". In some accounts the Marines called the slow moving Ilu river "Alligator Creek" because of the saltwater crocodiles that inhabited the river.

post-2843-1268443001.jpg

In late August 1942 the 2nd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment was dug in along the west bank of the Ilu river, with Henderson Field only 1000 yards to their rear. As the Marines waited, 900 men of the Ichiki detachment of the Japanese 28th Infantry Regiment were landing at Taivu point. Colonel Ichiki and his men were highly trained, hardened veterans of the campaigns in China and the border clashes with the Soviets. After landing, Col Ichiki send his troops to the west with orders to attack as soon as they encountered the American lines. These were good, tough disciplined soldiers. To land, assemble, advance miles through unfamiliar jungle and then to attack as soon as they made contact could only be accomplished by well trained soldiers. I only mention the skill and fierceness of the Japanese to illustrate what a tough enemy the Marines were going up against. Up to that point in the war the Japanese massed bayonet attack had been a very successful, valid tactic that had sent their enemies running to the rear many time in the past. Some people think that these "Banzai" attacks were last ditch, acts of desperation, far from it, later on in the war they may have been but not at this stage. These were deliberate, concentrated attacks conducted by disciplined soldiers and designed to terrorize and break the will and resolve of their opponents.

Unfortunately, no one told the Marines that. At 0200 a green flare arched up out of the jungle and the Marines at their guns could see hundreds of shrieking Japanese materialize out of the jungle running directly at them, the bayonets glinting in the eerie green light. Compared to the Japanese veterans this was the first combat for many of the Marines. As the Japanese closed the Marine lines erupted in fire tearing the Japanese ranks to pieces. Despite their terrible losses the Japanese persisted in charge after charge, Col Ichiki tried to flank the Marine lines buy wading out in to the surf. The Marines killed them all at the waterline. He then tried another flanking move to the south through the dense jungle, that too was repulsed. By morning most of the Ichicki detachment lay dead, the Col and a few survivors withdrew in to the jungle to the east. At 0700 the 1st Bn, 1st Marine Regiment with light tanks in support swept through the jungle and forced the last few Japanese in to a tight pocket that was eliminated by tank and rifle fire. Col Ichiki burned his colors and commited suicide.

Anyway, this diorama depicts a gun position at the south end of the 2/1 line.

Here are the photos.

Thanks

Dennis