Real WWII CS-34 (Linemans) Pouch??

carbinekid

Well, I found a 1928 dated CS-34 pouch on ebay and it is marked with the gap between the "Pouch" and "CS-34". It is marked "Q.M.D., JEFF. 1928,

H.E.K." on the belt loop. So now we know what is pre-WWII, WWII, and post-WWII. Markings with a gap between "Pouch" and "CS-34" is pre-war to early war, no gap between "Pouch" and "CS-34" is wartime, and the addition of the word "Type" between "Pouch" and "CS-34" is Korean War era, and no markings on the outside flap is Vietnam era production.

kyle

• 2 months later...

Hmm, thats weird. Two Jeff QMD 1928 examples but, with different nomenclature markings, I wonder why. More research indeed...

It's quite strange indeed that the same manufactureer in the same year marked pouch differently. It also strange the space that G&K leaved for TYPE without punching. I know military didn't care so much for markings so it possible at G&K they couldn't decide between TYPE and MODEL so tghey punched nothing.

This may be a case of different manufacturers producing variations of the same equipment. Most all GI equipment has some obvious or very minor variations between manufacturers be it materials, construction and also markings. Regarding the Jeff QMD pouch, they could have made a change in the stamping on the pouch since the 1928 manufacturing time span could have been up to 365 days between changes.

IMHO it's easier to erase part of a punch than leave a gave and after a while fill it with a "TYPE". So my idea is that the first pouch had TYPE in, later erased maybe because it was considered the wrong word or someone preferred MODEL or other stupid reason. The fact that early WWII G&K production is marked the same way proves it.

• 3 months later...
So now we know what is pre-WWII, WWII, and post-WWII. Markings with a gap between "Pouch" and "CS-34" is pre-war to early war, no gap between "Pouch" and "CS-34" is wartime, and the addition of the word "Type" between "Pouch" and "CS-34" is Korean War era, and no markings on the outside flap is Vietnam era production.

Hello Kyle,

It would be an overinterpretation.

The b-w photography is good enough -- and CS-34 front flap stamping has always been deep enough -- to see in historical images when the CS-34s were stamped on front flap, and when not. There is an interesting pictorial of Fort Devins taken in 1941 where the Signal Corps servicemen can be seen at work. At least two of them have smooth flaps without any stamping -- see below.

Regards

Greg

post-75-1311934000.jpg

So now we know what is pre-WWII, WWII, and post-WWII.

If I may advise anything -- I would be very, very careful with such absolute statements in this case. In fact we still know very little.

So now we know what is pre-WWII, WWII, and post-WWII. Markings with a gap between "Pouch" and "CS-34" is pre-war to early war, no gap between "Pouch" and "CS-34" is wartime...

And what about "no gap between Pouch and CS-34" variant where some components of the LTDs are blackened and the other ones are black enameled or entire LTDs are enameled? Were enameled US-made LTDs manufactured during WWII?

Regards

Greg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. You cannot judge fom this pics if flaps are unmarked or simply they have faint markings.

Hi Arturo,

I disagree in this case :)

What I posted above are peacetime, calmly taken press-quality images professionally converted today to 300dpi. Much worse frontline-made photos almost always allow to recognize if CS-34 has stamped flap or not, as can be seen below.

Regards

Greg

post-75-1311945630.jpg

post-75-1311945641.jpg

Fort Devins 1941 continued...

As I wrote situation seems to be clear enough -- the b-w photography is precise enough to indicate when CS-34 is stamped, when not, and many times no need to do close-ups. Stamped flaps can be seen even from some distance without closer view.

Below is one more Fort Devins picture of 1941 where stamped CS-34 can be seen.

post-75-1311950134.jpg

post-75-1311950145.jpg