Some Armored Items

CNY Militaria

A few items in my small collection which is mainly Armored and Tank Destroyer related.

Ike Jacket, dated November 1944.
The TD collar disc was missing (probably sold separately), so I replaced it.

EM's Shirt belonging to a certain Conrad W Eyth (ASN: 35446603), dated 1941.
I am currently trying to find his TD unit.

HBT Coveralls, label missing, but original 4th Armored Division patch.

Not a uniform piece but nevertheless interesting. :)

post-96964-0-98456200-1423363770.jpg

post-96964-0-96503600-1423363771.jpg

post-96964-0-86184400-1423363772.jpg

post-96964-0-38821800-1423363773.jpg

Group of documents belonging to Robert F. Baldwin (ASN 35252303) of the 602nd Tank Destroyer Battalion.

His TD patch is the rare 4-wheeler variant.

post-96964-0-81675900-1423363885.jpg

post-96964-0-35748600-1423363886.jpg

Johan Willaert

For Lloyd!!!

DEAD LINK doinworkinvans 2/7/15

67AR-Not ID'd & Leo Kastl, AntiTank Platoon, HQ Company 41AIR

This paper was probably carried by a Belgian Citizen/Resistance Member acting as an interpretor for the 41AIR/2AD while they were stationed in Belgium in September 1944...

Berra was KIA a couple of weeks later!!!

Enjoy!

Johan

Just thought you might be interested in this group to Major Fred Hammer, HQ Field Artillary, 4th Armored. I believe he later became the EO of the 704th.I'll try and send a photo of his helmet and Silver Star Certificate in another post. Jonpost-179-1167667471.jpg

Jim do you collect TD patches....?

Have you an 8 wheel TD patch with " Light Blue" embroidered Panther eyes ?

Regards

Lloyd

Jeeper704

On the Ike jacket with the Cpl Stripes and Tank Destroyer patch, it looks like the stripes are OD embroidery on dark blue twill, it may be just the lighting, but if they are in fact that type of stripe this jacket is not correct. All Tank Destroyer units were disbanded in 1947 and that type of stripe was not adopted until 1954 or 55 (I can't remember which with out looking it up). A proper TD jacket should have OD stripes on black wool or felt. Like I said it might just be the photograph but check it out.

Jon,

Could I please see a close up of the two patches on the bottom? The armor with the SS and the TD?

Thanks.

Hi Jim, these are a few of the patches that came with this group. It appears that the 704 may have been added by hand, it doesn't look to be done by machine. I also included a picture of a small 743 tank battalion grouping, I thought it was appropriate since there was a unit Christmas card with the group. Jonpost-179-1167679807.jpgpost-179-1167679826.jpg

Jeeper704

On the Ike jacket with the Cpl Stripes and Tank Destroyer patch, it looks like the stripes are OD embroidery on dark blue twill, it may be just the lighting, but if they are in fact that type of stripe this jacket is not correct. All Tank Destroyer units were disbanded in 1947 and that type of stripe was not adopted until 1954 or 55 (I can't remember which with out looking it up). A proper TD jacket should have OD stripes on black wool or felt. Like I said it might just be the photograph but check it out.

Thanks for the information. thumbsup.gif

The stripes are the same type as on the shirt: OD stripes on black wool (it has some moth holes in it too).

I used the picture from the one who sold it to me and it indeed shows the stripes as being blueish.

If needed, I can take a photo of this jacket this week.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the introduction of the Pershing tank the end of Tank Destroyer units?

The Pershing tank really did not have anything to do with it. The Army underwent a major reorganization starting in 1947. Armour and Cavalry were combined into a new Armour branch with a new insignia. Tank Destroyer units just ceased to exist and Cavalry units were cut way back, mostly as organic recon units. It wasn't until Viet nam that the Cavalry made a come back. Also the Artillery and Coast Artillery were combined. Most CA units had already been converted to Anti Aircraft units and the few CA units left disappeared. Several new branches were created including Special Services and of course the big one the Air Force split off and became a separate service. All this did not happen in one feld swoop it took a few years the exact date each happened I would have to look up.

Okay so I finnaly got around to photographing some of my Armored uniforms. This is a newer one I just got recently. The one I asked about before with the Eng. pin on it. I do not know really anything about the past owner sadly. The buttons are different too. I was wondering if someone could tell me as to why the buttons are as they are. I took a picture of them and put them in for further analysis. Without further ado here it is. I will try to get the rest if not some more of my items up later too. This came with the pants, shirt, jacket, and hat. All I was really missing was a pair of shoes and tie.

:D

collage1eh0.jpg

CNY Militaria

Cactus, those are "essayons" buttons. Engineers were the only branch allowed to wear a special, branch specific button. Essayons, is French for "Let us Try", which is the Corps of Engineers' Motto. If yo want more info, just search the net for "essayons". Is your uniform named by any chance?

Justin...are the CURRENT Corps of Engineers buttons STILL different?

or was the owner a vet who had his old buttons put on his "new" issue uniform

Regards

Lloyd

Cactus, those are "essayons" buttons. Engineers were the only branch allowed to wear a special, branch specific button. Essayons, is French for "Let us Try", which is the Corps of Engineers' Motto. If yo want more info, just search the net for "essayons". Is your uniform named by any chance?

I could not find any tags with the owners name, nothing inside the inner breast pocket either. Was this a bad purchase then? think.gif

CNY Militaria

As far as I know, they can still wear them to this day. If I am wrong, someone correct me.

Cactus, no...even unnamed items are often fine. As long as you are happy with it, thats all that matters. I will say that some collectors pay more for uniforms with essayons buttons as opposed to the traditional eagle ones, so IMO, you did fine.

Here is a rather plain looking 4th Armored Jacket and pants I bought awhile ago. Again no name to this one sadly. I think that is just about all I need to say about this one. AD Nontheless though.

Here is a WW2 overcoat I bought awhile ago for cheap. It has a 2nd AD patch on it and the outlining stitches of another AD patch on the other shoulder but that has been removed and granted the large variety of patches I cannot safely say which one. No ranks other than the overseas and enlistment bars on the lower left arm sleeve. No name to this one either. =\

[DEAD LINK doinworkinvans 2/7/15

I think someone on here will recognize this beauty. I will say this is probably one of my top AD or newer type uniforms I have in my collection. I guess it is all the eye candy for me to gaze upon. I do not think there is really any name or history to go with this but if I forgot someone can correct me thumbsup.gif I think it does not require a description.

Thanks for the tips on the buttons I knew there were variations on them but never to that extent. I couldn't get a good shot of them when I bought it so I kinda went based on the other pictures.