1st Lt Cecil O. Dean WWII Ace/POW

skio

I have a number of AAF groups, and the one’s that stand out are those that tell the personal side of their experiences, friendships, losses, and everyday life. This group appears to have all of those, “good stuff”. Gregg

Croix de Guerre
I lucked out this weekend and picked up a small grouping of items that belonged to a Cecil O. Dean. He began his aviation service as an Enlisted Pilot,fought in WWII with the 317th Fighter Sq of the 325th Fighter Group,The Checkertail Clan.He has 6 confirmed kills and was shot down over Hungary in July of 1944 and became a POW for 10 months. He flew P-40s (one kill),P-47s (3 kills) and P-51 Mustangs (2 kills).

Lots of pictures to show (40+) so please bear with me! What I did not get were his WWII uniforms or medals. Those were not part of the estate sale and may have gone to other family members. If anyone has anything related to this man, I would like to hear from you and try and reunite the grouping.

First up are the uniforms. A nice light color service jacket tailored in Japan. Solid Vangard Major leaves,NS Meyer PB pilot wings and ribbons.

Blue jacket also tailored in Japan.

Two sets of formal dress uniforms

post-5041-1267392831.jpg

post-5041-1267392840.jpg

Congratulations on a wonderful group with a wonderful story! Keep at it and track down all the leads. The hunt for information can be as enjoyable as the hunt for the objects. :thumbsup:

• 5 years later...

Hey, My Great Uncle Cecil was Not shot down! The Army air corp may have it listed that way but that is Not what happened!

If you want to know the real story ask me. Cecil D Grubbs. And I have Several pics from his photo albums of N Africa. His son Frank still has his original WWII medals

Uncle Cecil died in 1976. I was only 12 at the time. So the story I know is from my cousin Frank Dean, Cecil's son. The mechanic had S(rewed up the planes carb's. (His words) so with the plane Not running up to speed. His Wing mans planes prop caught the tail end of his plane. I'm assuming visibility was an issue, anyway apparently P51's do not fly so well with the tail ends chopped off! I just scanned 2 of the pics of his P40 that were also used that book shown above Memoirs Checker Tails

I also have a book, that somebody in Stalag Luft III had published shortly after WWII ended. It's got some really Great artist illustrations and stories about how they lived there.

post-159654-0-83043800-1438651601.jpg

Johnny Signor

Skio , could you please post an Image closeup of the 325th emblem on the book cover by Kenn Rust , thanks !!!!!

Johnny

I have this image but not that version ,

post-2068-0-10813800-1438831657.jpg