Royal Air Force Eagle Squadron

disneydave

disneydave

From my collection, an image of the original art created by Disney artist Hank Porter for the famed R.A.F. Eagle Squadron. This squadron was composed of volunteer American pilots who came to the aid of Great Britain before America entered the war.

Hank Porter was the Disney artist who designed at least 75% of the estimated 1,200 combat insignia designs to come out of the Disney Studio during the war. Porter began his career with Disney in 1936 as an animator, but was moved into the Publicity and Merchandise Art Department when the light from the animator's board strained his eyes. The R.A.F. Eagle Squadron insignia was just the sixth design created by Porter.

This image appears on several items made during the war including a cachet, a Card-O gum card, an iron-on transfer, and a Hearst newspaper gummed insignia stamp. The design was made in February 1941 and rates as one of my all-time favorites.

raf_eagle.JPG

• 3 years later...
Insigina Hunter
This image appears on several items made during the war including a cachet, a Card-O gum card, an iron-on transfer, and a Hearst newspaper gummed insignia stamp.

Here is a picture of that card out of my collection. I also will add the other cards from this particular card-o series.

post-14003-1291997540.jpg

Insigina Hunter

9 cards total in the series Im not sure if Hank is attributed to all of them but yea can definatly see some other Disney characters in some of these cards.

post-14003-1291997613.jpg

Thanks for posting these insignia hunter...I've always liked them.

These cards were distributed by the Leaf Gum Company of Chicago. They were either manufactured by, or made under license from, Whitman Publishing. Whitman was one of Disney's bigger licensees, producing a full range of Disney children's books in the 1930s and 40s.

• 2 weeks later...
Insigina Hunter
Thanks for posting these insignia hunter...I've always liked them.

These cards were distributed by the Leaf Gum Company of Chicago. They were either manufactured by, or made under license from, Whitman Publishing. Whitman was one of Disney's bigger licensees, producing a full range of Disney children's books in the 1930s and 40s.

Not a problem! the Card-o gum series is my other main focus right now besides my insignias. I am currently trying to put together two complete sets of all the series. One set to send away to be graded and the other set to be put in a binder to finger through and enjoy.

I am trying to get as much material on the card-o gum series as possible; including The Non-Sports Bible, Americana Price Guide to the non sport cards 1930-1960, as well as a few of The Wrapper Magazine issues have articles on these. I eventually would like to write a book about these but there are so many variations of cards and backs I would like to make the majority if not all at my fingertips while writing about them.

Until recently I have had a few hundred of these cards in my collection. I even listed my doubles on this site as well as ebay (long gone). Now I have come across a large lot of these and may have a lot more to sell/trade if anyone would be interested. I will not post any prices here as this is not the for sale section but feel free to pm me (Cards are in pristine condition).

• 9 months later...
Insigina Hunter

I have finally found some of the Walt Disney copyrighted backed versions of these cards and wanted to share with you guys what they look like ... cards came in two versions with and with out the Walt Disney copyright. Both sets are very rare but the disney backed ones are near impossible to find.

post-14003-1318690152.jpg

• 2 years later...

I love those Disney cards !! I have never seen them before , that's something id like to have as a part of my little collection !!

LB

Have never seen this postcard before. Very cool. From top to bottom are the Eagle Squadron; then the 42d Bombardment Group, 75th Bombardment Squadron; then I think the 16th Reconnaissance Squadron.