BLADE DATED M3

Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Please post your blade dated M3's under this topic.

KNIFE, TRENCH, M3

SCABBARD, TRENCH KNIFE, M6

Adopted by the US Army early in 1943 it was produced from March of that year until July 1944. But it had already been officially replaced by the M4 bayonet-knife in the Spring of 1944. The original intent of the M3 was to arm all soldier with a knife who wouldn't normally be issued a bayonet. So basically anybody not carrying an M1 or M1903 rifle qualified for one. But in the real world every soldier wanted an M3 and seeing as how approximately 2.5 million of them were made there plenty to go around once supply caught up with demand.

First production had 1943 dated markings on the blade and came in a leather scabbard. This example made by PAL BLADE CO. They didn't make the handsomest M3, not nearly as nice as the early beautifully made blued bladed pieces made by such knife makers as ROBESON or CASE, it was totally functional for it's intended purpose. Today, any blade dated M3 trench knife is a rare item.

I bought this M3 from the son in law of a WW2 vet who was a staff officer who spent most of the war in Alaska. So it doesn't have the glorious provenance ebay sellers try to allege when they sell these but it is what it is. I wonder how he got his hands on one of these early M3's? Maybe earlier in the war he had wasn't a staff officer but was assigned to a line outfit? I don't guess I'll ever know. Anyway, he took good care of this knife and it was carefully tucked away in a desk drawer when he died.

post-1-1168154440.jpg

post-1-1168154448.jpg

post-1-1168154456.jpg

By the time this guard marked PAL M3 was made they'd improved their quality control. It's a much nicer finished knife than the earlier blade dated one. This example made in early 1944 and came in an early production SCABBARD, TRENCH KNIFE, M8. Note the light OD webbing, particulary the retaining strap.

post-1-1168154983.jpg

A typical example of a "blade marked" M3. This one by IMPERIAL which made a nice piece with deeply struck markings. Scabbard is an M6 made by BARWOOD.

post-1-1168155037.jpg

post-1-1168155045.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's mine, a blade dated Case M3 with a L&C M6 Scabbard (they didn't come together; the knife came with a very damaged MILSCO M6 sheath that I replaced with this sheath).

M3Case5.jpg

M3Case6.jpg

M3Case7.jpg