USMC and Navy Shoes 1898 to 1918

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

I'm currently researching the shoes (dress, barracks, gymnasium, garrison, marching, field/trtench, etc) used by the US Army from 1898 to 1918 and have come across a couple of fragments regarding shoes that were issued to the Marine Corps and Navy, such as the "USMC Cordovon Shoe" which were apparantly worn from 1910 to 1914?.

I'm certain that they both had their own seperate footwear that was seperate/different from what was issued to the Army. Does anybody have any information regarding the types and styles of shoes (not boots) that they may have been issued during this period, for wear on dress occassion, garrison duty, as well as shipboard and field service?

Anything will be helpful especially official model designations, specification numbers, dates that they were used, any mention in uniform regulations and of course PHOTOS!!!

I would appreciate any feedback no matter how trivial or small from any of you Navy or USMC nerds.

Thanks for the help... world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Ever since my first posting here on the forum, (on Army shoes) I've been obsessed with figuring out the different Army shoes used from 1898 to the end of WW I.

Since then I have decided to collect additional information and would like to branch out to Navy and Marine footwear and possibly even female military footwear as well. Because there seems to be so many questions regarding footwear of this period, I hope to do an in depth posting on the subject once I get enough accurate information together. So any help from other forum members would be appreciated.

• 8 years later...

WWI Nerd, have you found any good references to USMC WWI dress footwear? Im trying to put together a mannequin display, but I dont have a good clue on the shoes. The photos in the WWI USMC uniform regs dont provide too much detail.

For some pictures of USMC shoes up through 1942, have a look a Jim Moran's book, U.S. Marine Uniforms, 1912 - 1940. It's a good place to start. You might be interested to know that in the interwar period, there was no distinction between dress and field shoes. The dress shoe (brown, shade varied depending on the years) were also worn in the field.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

Thanks for the suggestions. I read through Morans book and the 1918 uniform regs. Now that I have an idea of what to look for, does anyone know of a pair of originals or good reproductions for sale?

world war I nerd

Sadly, I've still not found any specific references as to what the WW I era USMC Service Shoe actually looked like.

I do, however, have a small amount of anecdotal information based on a March 1920 advertisement selling surplus USMC "Cordovan dark Tan Shoes" and a pair of reproduction shoes that were alleged to be "1910 USMC, Shoes Service Cordovan". Not sure if any of this will help, but I'll post what little I have anyway.

Ad from the March 1920 issue of the American Legion Weekly. In it, the shoes were available with and without hobnails, and with or without a white cotton drill lining.

post-5143-0-35022500-1537727916_thumb.jpg

In this comparison, the shoe in the ad, compares favorably with a pair of shoes worn by a young Marine circa 1917 or 1918. (Marine photo courtesy of the John Adams-Graf collection)

post-5143-0-99625200-1537728216_thumb.jpg

This reproduction 1910 USMC Cordovan Service Shoe, sold by WW II Impressions Inc. was described as:

A welt constructed shoe; with an inside counter pocket; full toe vamp, toe cap with USMC style toe, heavy first quality leather sole board and plain heel. The upper leather is best quality, heavy, brown, side leather, fully chromed and vegetable retanned. The shoe is lined with cotton drill material and the tongue lined with felting. The stitching on the quarter is very nicely replicated. The heel accurately depicts the USMC cordovan shoe styling. These shoes were used by the USMC from 1910 to 1940 so these would be suitable to wear even with WW I Marine Corps impressions.

The shape of the reproduction shoe more or less corresponds with the pattern of the surplus Marine shoe shown in the 1920 advertisement.

post-5143-0-70431700-1537728360_thumb.jpg

Note how different the cut and stitching on the USMC Cordovan Service Shoe is when compared to the regulation Russet Leather Marching Shoe that was issued to all U.S. Army personnel from 1914 until 1919.

post-5143-0-22980400-1537729041_thumb.jpg

A pair of shoes that were part of a 1920 USMC grouping that were posted elsewhere on this forum. These shoes are similar to, but not identical, to the shoe shown in the 1920 ad.

post-5143-0-91200200-1537729213_thumb.jpg

Another pair of shoes that were also a part of a USMC grouping. Aside from the lacing hooks at the top of the shoes, this pair more closely resembles the shoe in the ad. However, I believe that this is a pair of WW I era U.S. Navy Tan High Shoes, which more than likely were also issued to U.S. Marines. I have seen black shoes that were identical to these in numerous Navy groupings over the years.

As a sidebar, the Army stopped using lacing hooks in 1904 because they were easily bent or broken. The Navy however, continued to use lacing hooks up to and throughout WW I. In addition, whether black or brown all regulation Navy shoes had a rubber soled heel, which provided a better grip on a wet or slippery deck. As far as I know, all USMC shoes had leather heels.

post-5143-0-15446600-1537729361_thumb.jpg

A pair of January 1942 dated USMC Cordovan Service Shoes. These are a very close match to the shoe depicted in the 1920 ad.

post-5143-0-49093400-1537729722_thumb.jpg

A similar style show worn by a U.S. marine circa 1909.

post-5143-0-02473700-1537729799_thumb.jpg

A similar style shoe worn by a U.S. Marine circa 1912.

post-5143-0-62004600-1537729869_thumb.jpg

A similar style shoe worn by a U.S. Marine circa 1917.

post-5143-0-70876500-1537729914_thumb.jpg

A similar style show worn by a U.S. Marine circa 1918.

post-5143-0-63469900-1537729956_thumb.jpg

Just for reference, here is a WW I era U.S. Navy Black High Shoe … note the lacing hooks and the rubber soled heel. The Navy brown shoes were identical except for the color

post-5143-0-85360300-1537730630_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...