• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 USMCRECON

USMCRECON
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,107
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:35 PM

I recently got these from eBay. I couldn't be sure from the photos on the auction site so I took a chance on them. Now that I have them in hand, I'm not all that sure. I'd like the opinion of some knowledgeable EGA collectors on the authenticity...or not, of this pair. The last picture, the close up of the Eagle with Sterling hallmark, wouldn't fit so I'll attach it to a subsequent post.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

Edited by USMCRECON, 17 February 2010 - 04:37 PM.

#2 USMCRECON

USMCRECON
  • Members
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:36 PM

Here's the last pic, a close up of the eagle and sterling hallmark.

I just looked at another set of collars and cover EGAs and now I'm worried. This set looks very close to the collar EGAs in that set except that they are not blackened.

IMG_0003.JPG

Edited by USMCRECON, 17 February 2010 - 04:40 PM.

#3 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

They are repos. These were discussed on the following thread... http://www.usmilitar...showtopic=67394

Mike

#4 cwnorma

cwnorma
  • Members
    • Member ID: 594
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:06 PM

As Mike already pointed out, these are available here:

http://www.1903.com/...p?productID=464

#5 TLHSS

TLHSS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,144
  • 662 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for posting these and helping out new, less experienced collectors.

Is the main give-away the lack of detail? Any other tricks of the trade to tell these from the originals?

I wish something could be done to prevent these from hitting the market to begin with. I feel for the new folks just starting out ...

Thanks,
Tim

#6 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:30 AM

Is the main give-away the lack of detail? Any other tricks of the trade to tell these from the originals?

YES - the lack of sufficient detail AND overall softness are the primary clues (albeit these early 1900's emblems did often exhibit a "dull" appearence, not as crisp as latter years). The repro's do not have the same "bulk" of the globe, lack the requisite die extraction markings along he edges of the eagle or anchor. And you will note the lack of any stempling on the surface of the globe. These shown, can be seen in much greater detail here:
http://www.usmilitar...showtopic=18315

Attached Images

• pasquale_service_collars_1904_003.jpg
  • pasquale_service_collars_1904_001.jpg

#7 USMCRECON

USMCRECON
  • Members
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

Thanks for confirming what I suspected as soon as I got them in my hands. I've been in contact with the seller and advised him that they are replicas and he's sort of backing up and saying he's not sure what they are now.......more to follow.

By the way; this was eBay auction #260549408998 in case anyone's interested.

#8 TLHSS

TLHSS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,144
  • 662 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:00 PM

YES - the lack of sufficient detail AND overall softness are the primary clues (albeit these early 1900's emblems did often exhibit a "dull" appearence, not as crisp as latter years). The repro's do not have the same "bulk" of the globe, lack the requisite die extraction markings along he edges of the eagle or anchor. And you will note the lack of any stempling on the surface of the globe.

Thank you Darrell .... I can now see the difference.

Thanks again for posting this information ... I appreciate it.

Tim

#9 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:29 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users