1950s USAF navigator wing

Germanymp

Hi everyone,

I got those from a vet here at Nellis AFB - I do not collect those at all. So what do I have here exactly? Rare? How much would it usually go for?

The back says: NS.MeyerINC. NEW YORK

So you wing collectors out there, I would really appreciate your valued opinions.

best regards

Phil

post-1035-1183072683.jpg

post-1035-1183072696.jpg

John Cooper

Phil you have what appears to be an Aircraft Observer wing. These would be post WW2 but maybe pre 1950 since I do not see the 2 digit code that started at about that time.

I do not think these are rare since I see them on a regular basis... as for cost well the buyer determines that ;)

John

Phil you have what appears to be an Aircraft Observer wing. These would be post WW2 but maybe pre 1950 since I do not see the 2 digit code that started at about that time.

I do not think these are rare since I see them on a regular basis... as for cost well the buyer determines that ;)

John

John,

Aren't these Navigator wings?

EDIT NOTE: I just checked the NS Meyer hallmark information I have and with NEW YORK spelled out instead of NYC, they date from late 1940's or early 1950's.

Gary

John Cooper

I hate to disagree with you guys but the Navigator wings at this time period still used the globe symbol like they did in WW2. I jsu checked a copy of Mil Spec MIL-B-10955A that has an illistration of both wings.

Regards

John

Hi guys,

helps me out great so far. I really didn't know what I had there. I thought some old pilot wings.

So I guess it's something common.

Thank you so far for all the inputs.

Phil

As Gary stated these are USAF Navigator wings and a very early example. I'm not sure when they were first authorized, but would guess around the time the USAAF became the USAF and adopted blue uniforms and modern-looking insignia such as these wings and the new type chevrons. At the very latest, they would be 1950's vintage.

Kurt

As Gary stated these are USAF Navigator wings and a very early example. I'm not sure when they were first authorized, but would guess around the time the USAAF became the USAF and adopted blue uniforms and modern-looking insignia such as these wings and the new type chevrons. At the very latest, they would be 1950's vintage.

Kurt

thank you Kurt thumbsup.gif

John Cooper

This is from the document I referenced... clearly it shows the navigator for the timeframe I feel this wing came from... call it transitional.

John-

Are those specs dated? Probably 1947/48? I guess the pictured wing officially became a "Navigator" wing after the WW2 style Navigator wing was deemed obsolete. It would be interesting to know when that was. Your term "transitional" is very appropriate.

Kurt

John Cooper

Hi Kurt,

Mil Spec MIL-B-10955A that I posted above is from SEPT - 1952. The trasitional period lasted for many years. There was an amendment to Mil Spec MIL-B-10955B May 1955 that for the medical wings which changed to new designs from those shown in the 1952 version.

You get the following:

Chief Flight Surgeon

Senior Flight Surgeon

Flight Surgeon

Flight Nurse

The new design got rid of the observer wing style in the background and moved to the shield design.

Cheers

John

wow lots of info - no, I'm not starting to collecto those! But it is really interesting to see from timeperiod something comes and that new design/years etc.

greatly appreciated !!! thumbsup.gif

Phil

Hi Kurt,

Mil Spec MIL-B-10955A that I posted above is from SEPT - 1952. The trasitional period lasted for many years. There was an amendment to Mil Spec MIL-B-10955B May 1955 that for the medical wings which changed to new designs from those shown in the 1952 version.

You get the following:

Chief Flight Surgeon

Senior Flight Surgeon

Flight Surgeon

Flight Nurse

The new design got rid of the observer wing style in the background and moved to the shield design.

Cheers

John

John,

The reason I stated Navigator on these wings is because they are the exact same wings my nephew wears and he's a Navigator on C-130's with, at present, 302nd TAW of the USAFR stationed at Peterson in Colorado Springs. The only difference is the Air Force wear anodized Stay Bright wings today.

An interesting sidenote on US Air Force Navigators; the Air Force has graduated it's final class of Navigators and doesn't have any plans for their use in the future. They are gradually being phased out in favor of GPS or Global Positioning Devices.

Gary

John,

The reason I stated Navigator on these wings is because they are the exact same wings my nephew wears and he's a Navigator on C-130's with, at present, 302nd TAW of the USAFR stationed at Peterson in Colorado Springs. The only difference is the Air Force wear anodized Stay Bright wings today.

An interesting sidenote on US Air Force Navigators; the Air Force has graduated it's final class of Navigators and doesn't have any plans for their use in the future. They are gradually being phased out in favor of GPS or Global Positioning Devices.

Gary

Hi Gary,

I see it here at Nellis, it is sad to see these F15s with an empty backseat. They tried to make some of those Navigators Predator MQ-1, MQ-9 or Reaper pilots, some of them actually flew/fly the Predator with their Navigator wings (not pilot wings) but hey, it's an RC PLANE :D as I call them :D

John Cooper

No Problem Kurt - we are all in ths game together and knowledge is one of the things we need to share!

John