• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Townsend

Adam Townsend

• Members
    • Member ID: 101
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:07 AM

I just got my first victory medal yesterday in the mail. I got this one for $14 shipped, which, from what I've seen, is pretty cheap.

Share some of yours! Does anyone have one of those special made ones with ALL of the clasps on it? I've seen them on the antiques roadshow more than once, so I'm sure they're out there.

Thanks,
Adam

Attached Images

• victory_medal_001.jpg

#2 Adam Townsend

Adam Townsend

• Members
    • Member ID: 101
  • 719 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:07 AM

and the back.

Attached Images

• victory_medal_002.jpg

#3 CorsairAce

CorsairAce
  • Members
    • Member ID: 855
  • 686 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:19 AM

WOW $14 for that?!?!?! Great steal. I have this one with 5 clasps http://www.usmilitar...?showtopic=6678
I have a few others with no clasps too.

#4 Ricardo

Ricardo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 202
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:32 AM

Hi,

My only one:

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6427/dwedfwvid5.jpg

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/8771/usww17gx6.jpg

Best regards,

Ricardo.

#5 siege1863

siege1863
  • Members
    • Member ID: 211
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:49 AM

Here is my Grandfather's WWI Victory medal. He served in the 337th Ambulance Company and was part of the American North Russia Expeditionary Force. Before the war, he had been a member of the Michigan National Guard in Ambulance Company #8. When the units of the state were called into Federal service, his company became the 337th Ambulance Company, 85th Infantry Division. He enlisted 3 August 1917; departed the US for England 22 July 1918; from England to the Archangel Front, serving from 5 September 1918 to 15 June 1919; returned to the US 12 July 1919; discharged 19 July 1919.

Posted Image

#6 SteveR

SteveR
  • Inactive
    • Member ID: 415
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:07 AM

Here is my Grandfather's WWI Victory medal. He served in the 337th Ambulance Company and was part of the American North Russia Expeditionary Force. Before the war, he had been a member of the Michigan National Guard in Ambulance Company #8. When the units of the state were called into Federal service, his company became the 337th Ambulance Company, 85th Infantry Division. He enlisted 3 August 1917; departed the US for England 22 July 1918; from England to the Archangel Front, serving from 5 September 1918 to 15 June 1919; returned to the US 12 July 1919; discharged 19 July 1919.
Posted Image

That is a rare one friend. And from your Grand Dad to boot what a jewel. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#7 SteveR

SteveR
  • Inactive
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:39 AM

A few I had in an old cigar box.
MVC_024S.JPG

Never have figured out what the little maltese cross at the bottom of the ribbon is for.
MVC_026S.JPG

The 35th and 89th were the main gaurd and reserve units around this part of the country. The 3 clasps were awarded to them.
MVC_027S.JPG

The last one is a Navy mine layer. They are hard to find also.
MVC_029S.JPG

#8 TBMflyer

TBMflyer
  • Members
    • Member ID: 527
  • 946 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:08 PM

Here is a 4-bar Victory I picked up a couple of weeks ago. It's neat in that the ribbon bar was pinned to the medal. I have no idea what unit with this bar combination on it; OISE-AISNE, ST. MIHIEL, MEUSE ARGONNE and DEFENSIVE SECTOR-Mark
MVC_017F.JPG

#9 Bluejacket

Bluejacket
  • Members
    • Member ID: 193
  • 395 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:35 PM

Never have figured out what the little maltese cross at the bottom of the ribbon is for.
MVC_026S.JPG

SteveR

The Maltese Cross was issued to Officers and enlisted men of the Marine Corps and USN Medical Corps who were atteched to the American Expeditionary Forces stationed in France between April 6 1917 and Nov. 11, 1918, and who were not entitled to a battle clasp. The Laslo book on the WWI Victory gives additional details.

MVC_029S.JPG
[/quote]

According to Laslo, the MINE LAYING clasp was authorized for service between 26 May and 11 Nov. 1918, and less than 3,300 were order produced. One of the more rare Navy clasps.

Nice to see good examples of the two pieces.

Bluejacket

#10 Bluejacket

Bluejacket
  • Members
    • Member ID: 193
  • 395 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:52 PM

Here is a 4-bar Victory I picked up a couple of weeks ago. It's neat in that the ribbon bar was pinned to the medal. I have no idea what unit with this bar combination on it; OISE-AISNE, ST. MIHIEL, MEUSE ARGONNE and DEFENSIVE SECTOR-Mark
MVC_017F.JPG

TBMFlyer

This combination of clasps is not standard to any US division. Only the 28th, 32nd and 37th divisions were authorized the Oise-Aisne clasp, and none of them were authorized the St. Mihiel clasp. As the above divisions were generally engaged from 18 August to 11 November 1918, and the St. Mihiel campaign only lasted form 12-16 November, 1918, and the two battlefields are quite a distance apart, it's unlikely both of these clasps belong on this medal ribbon.

Bluejacket

#11 siege1863

siege1863
  • Members
    • Member ID: 211
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:02 PM

A miniature belonging to Leonard Moorehouse Thomas. At the outset of World War I, he enlisted and served as a first lieutenant in the Interpreters' Corps, attached to the 32d Infantry Division. Later he became a liaison officer in Italy and at the headquarters of Marshal Foch. He received the Croix de Guerre from the French Government for services rendered at the Second Battle of the Marne while acting as liaison officer.

Victory.jpg

#12 TBMflyer

TBMflyer
  • Members
    • Member ID: 527
  • 946 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:41 PM

Bluejacket, thanks for the information. I'm not a WWI collector and I really couldn't find any information regarding a unit. Since the ribbon has the 4 stars and has been on the medal for what looks like a long time, I'm going to put it in the collection and file it in the 'anomaly' section! Thanks again, Mark.

TBMFlyer

This combination of clasps is not standard to any US division. Only the 28th, 32nd and 37th divisions were authorized the Oise-Aisne clasp, and none of them were authorized the St. Mihiel clasp. As the above divisions were generally engaged from 18 August to 11 November 1918, and the St. Mihiel campaign only lasted form 12-16 November, 1918, and the two battlefields are quite a distance apart, it's unlikely both of these clasps belong on this medal ribbon.
Bluejacket

#13 Gil Sanow

Gil Sanow

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 528
  • 4,006 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:15 AM

Bluejacket, thanks for the information. I'm not a WWI collector and I really couldn't find any information regarding a unit. Since the ribbon has the 4 stars and has been on the medal for what looks like a long time, I'm going to put it in the collection and file it in the 'anomaly' section! Thanks again, Mark.

I believe this one checks out to the 89th Division. Note the Silver Star Commendation. These were later converted to Silver Star Medals.

Attached Images

• 136_3617__2_.JPG

Edited by Gil Sanow, 29 June 2007 - 11:16 AM.

#14 SteveR

SteveR
  • Inactive
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:49 PM

MVC_026S.JPG

SteveR

The Maltese Cross was issued to Officers and enlisted men of the Marine Corps and USN Medical Corps who were atteched to the American Expeditionary Forces stationed in France between April 6 1917 and Nov. 11, 1918, and who were not entitled to a battle clasp. The Laslo book on the WWI Victory gives additional details.
MVC_029S.JPG
According to Laslo, the MINE LAYING clasp was authorized for service between 26 May and 11 Nov. 1918, and less than 3,300 were order produced. One of the more rare Navy clasps.
Nice to see good examples of the two pieces.
Bluejacket

Thanks Bluejacket. I really appreciate the information. You are a good man. :D http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif
Steve

#15 Bones

Bones
  • Members
    • Member ID: 736
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:55 PM

Here is a few of my WW1 victory medals. nothing real rare here.

Attached Images

• close_up_ww1.jpg

Edited by Bones, 29 June 2007 - 06:01 PM.

#16 US CANTEEN GURU

US CANTEEN GURU

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 85
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:33 PM

These WWI Victory Medal all came from veterans when I was collecting in the 1960s.

Obverse:
WWI_Victory_obverse.jpg

#17 US CANTEEN GURU

US CANTEEN GURU

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 85
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:35 PM

Reverse:
WWI_Victory_reverse.jpg

#18 KurtA

KurtA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 322
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:18 AM

I remember back in the 1970's, a Collectibles Price Guide (all types, not just military) came out. It was sold in most book stores and was one of the very few such books at the time. In the very limited Military section, a WW1 Victory Medal was pictured and caption below it gave a value of $3. It seemed every antique dealer had that book, as I must have picked up dozens of Victory Medals in the 1970's that were priced at exactly "$3". Too bad the antique dealers don't read that book anymore!
I'm still looking for a numbered WW1 Victory. I believe it was the first 100 issued having a #. There is the prefix "USM" in front of the number on the bottom rim.
Kurt

Edited by KurtA, 30 June 2007 - 04:19 AM.

#19 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 7,682 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 07:57 AM

Here is a Victory Medal and PH from a 23rd Infantry, 2nd Division Vet.

SOUCEK_MEDALS_FRONT.jpg

#20 cwnorma

cwnorma
  • Members
    • Member ID: 594
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:48 AM

Gentlemen,

Its been said elsewhere on this forum, but it is worth repeating here--and actually BEAST's medal above bears this out; clasp combinations are only a rough guide for Victory Medal identification.

There are many reasons why an individual soldier's medal would have more or fewer clasps than what the division was entitled to:

- Like BEAST's above, he could have been wounded, and consequently did not participate in various campaigns

-- Based on unit participation a 2nd Division Medal would have; Aisne, Aisne Marne, St Mihiel, Meuse Argonne and Defensive Sector (but the medals were not issued that way).

- He could have been a replacement and arrived after the campaign

- He could have belonged to a specialty unit; Camoflauge, Railway Engineers, Disenfecting Squads, etc and could have been detailed anywhere at any time

- Some Medical officers were literally all over the place inspecting conditions, Malcom Growe's (Andrews AFB hospital is named after him) Victory Medal has 10 bars including "Italy" and "Russia"!

There are myriad other reasons why a medal won't fit a campaign list but the bottom line is that the medals were individually assembled and mailed to each Soldier, Sailor, or Marine--using his own personal record as the basis for award. They were not issued to the units en-mass for distribution. Therefore, lists based on unit participation in various battles strictly only apply to campaign streamers for the unit guidon.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)