Need help! BC-367 what is it

Tankpatches

In something like a tank or bomber aircraft, you have several crew members with headsets and microphones, often connected to the same radio set. An "interphone amplifier" was used to amplify the audio going to and from the radio receiver and transmitter and, I believe, the intercom system. The BC-367 was used in tanks. It is mentioned in this thread on the forum: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=11156

Essentially the BC-367 is the power supply for the crew interphone. It functions as a transformer drawing power from the vehicle's electrical system making it suitable for the interphone system.

The audio can be switched from the radio to the interphone and from crew station to station within the vehicle. The radio set is jacked into the interphone using a normal cable with plugs. The interphone is not, I believe, hard-wired to the radio. However, the various crew positions are hard-wired in as part of the interphone system.

Here are a couple of pics of an RC-61 interphone system configured for the M2 light tank. This is an early system that was configured seperatly for each vehicle type, then shipped and installed. Later systems were "universal" consisting of "generic" basic components (BC) along with cable stock and mounting hardware. These systems were simply fitted to each vehicle by measuring and cutting the wire and installing the components.

The change over date was around '42-'43, I believe. The earlier systems (like this RC-61) used armored cable which was shielded from radio "noise" interference created by the vehicle's engine and electrical system. Also the cable was literally armored using the steel flex sheathing. The wiring indide each cable was individual wires cut to lenghth and bundled inside the flex sheathing. The later systems employed simple plastic / rubber covered multi-wire cable. Vehicle electrical systems were also improved as time went by negating the "over engineering," complexity, and expense (in materials and man-hours) of the earlier systems.

Your OD colored BC-367 is possibly (probably?) a later production variant. I can't see from your photos, but the order number on the data plate might give a clue as to its production date. The one I've shown here has a '41 contract date.

Might be a useful item for a vehicle restorer who wants to complete his interphone set-up.

HTH,

Mike

post-626-1265858300.jpg

post-626-1265858314.jpg

post-626-1265858366.jpg

Essentially the BC-367 is the power supply for the crew interphone. It functions as a transformer drawing power from the vehicle's electrical system making it suitable for the interphone system.

The audio can be switched from the radio to the interphone and from crew station to station within the vehicle. The radio set is jacked into the interphone using a normal cable with plugs. The interphone is not, I believe, hard-wired to the radio. However, the various crew positions are hard-wired in as part of the interphone system.

Here are a couple of pics of an RC-61 interphone system configured for the M2 light tank. This is an early system that was configured seperatly for each vehicle type, then shipped and installed. Later systems were "universal" consisting of "generic" basic components (BC) along with cable stock and mounting hardware. These systems were simply fitted to each vehicle by measuring and cutting the wire and installing the components.

The change over date was around '42-'43, I believe. The earlier systems (like this RC-61) used armored cable which was shielded from radio "noise" interference created by the vehicle's engine and electrical system. Also the cable was literally armored using the steel flex sheathing. The wiring indide each cable was individual wires cut to lenghth and bundled inside the flex sheathing. The later systems employed simple plastic / rubber covered multi-wire cable. Vehicle electrical systems were also improved as time went by negating the "over engineering," complexity, and expense (in materials and man-hours) of the earlier systems.

Your OD colored BC-367 is possibly (probably?) a later production variant. I can't see from your photos, but the order number on the data plate might give a clue as to its production date. The one I've shown here has a '41 contract date.

Might be a useful item for a vehicle restorer who wants to complete his interphone set-up.

HTH,

Mike

Mike,

Thanks a millon!! There was one other picture (forgot to upload it)

mfg date says 7/45

Al

post-668-1265859427.jpg

MFP isn't the manufacture date. MFP means Moisture & Fungus Proofed. Basically they open up the unit and shellac all of the wiring to preserve it from the elements. Your unit was MFP'd in 7-45.

The date of the contract is on the data plate, although the picture is too small for me to make it out.