• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:31 AM

These insignia brought $271.00. I believe these are NCHS reproductions, anyone else agree? They are marked "sterling", lack detail and appear fairly crude. I am unable to post the pics. I know these "sterling" sets were being sold just a few months ago by NCHS on ebay. It appears to me that this set was chemically aged and then resold as original. http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

#2 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,677 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:40 AM

I enlarged them a bit:

wwiegasfakes.jpg

wwiegasfakes1.jpg

wwiegasfakes1cu.jpg

wwiegasfakes2.jpg

wwiegasfakes2cu.jpg

wwiegasfakes3.jpg

#3 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:43 AM

Mike, your correct - the seller has a LONG history (since 03/04? and recently changed name) under the seller name of "thepengiun" pushing these and similar to the un-suspecting... s/f Darrell

#4 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:46 AM

another set, exactly same. These NCHS ones are starting to be aged and sold as real. Buyer beware. http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item3ca9f478e6

#5 usmcski

usmcski
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,867
  • 787 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:07 AM

Man, just when you think you're developing a "trained eye"!

Thanks for posting this, Mike, I know that I for one might have been fooled....

Semper,

Ski

#6 Alec

Alec
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,194
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:18 AM

So who is the culprit here, NCHS for selling items not marked as Repros full well knowing this would happen? Obviously a good chunk of his sales are people like this.

I put "House of Swords" out of business many years ago with a mail fraud charge. He had so many complaints against him, but no one bothered to supply the Attorney General with any information or details for them to prosecute. I game them 161 counts suspected fraud in one of his catalogues along with evidence to back it up.

If someone purchases an EGA and this person knowingly is passing it off as original and has it delivered via the US Mail they are pretty much done for if someone files a Mail Fraud Case. If there is an EBAY auction showing this person bought these from NCHS and then he is selling them aged there is some of the evidence.

I spent years curtailing the sale of fake Holocaust related items on Ebay and even offered Ebay my services for free, but to no avail. I received threats of all sorts by people selling the fake stuff. Enough threats for me to speak with the FBI and get a PO Box to avoid a bomb in the mail at my house. Luckily nothing that severe happened, but you never know these days. I can't be the Ebay police so I stopped wasting time. Buyer beware and the best protection is education.

#7 normaninvasion

normaninvasion
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,253
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:30 PM

Glad there was comment on these. I was wondering about them, didn't look right.

#8 cwnorma

cwnorma
  • Members
    • Member ID: 594
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

These insignia brought $271.00. I believe these are NCHS reproductions, anyone else agree? They are marked "sterling", lack detail and appear fairly crude. I am unable to post the pics. I know these "sterling" sets were being sold just a few months ago by NCHS on ebay. It appears to me that this set was chemically aged and then resold as original. http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Mike,

Instead of NCHS, I think these may have started out as a pair of these:

http://www.1903.com/...p?productID=465

#9 normaninvasion

normaninvasion
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,253
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:20 AM

Mike,

Anyone know how many originial dies are out there?

#10 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:49 PM

Mike,

You are right, NCHS has been making a different pattern. These appear to be from that site you posted..thanks!

As for dies, these fakes are not stamped, they are from a mold of originals. The dies themselves???? who knows. Most of these were made from multiple pieces, with the eagle anchor and globes being seperate pieces. I have never seen any dies, there was an old button die on e-bay (may still be there).

Mike

Edited by usmcaviator, 10 February 2010 - 01:50 PM.

#11 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,954 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:37 PM

saw both of those sets and watched out of curiosity...somebody was fooled

#12 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users