78th Co (G) 2nd Bn 6th Marines 'Over There"

cthomas

Gentlemen (and Ladies)-

I know there are several members out there who know much more about USMC history than I do, especially when it comes to WWI, but allow me this all too brief outline of the battalion's history (courtesy of the 2/6th's website) as it relates to the topic at hand:

26 March 1918, first combat: Repelled light attacks & trench raids

6 June 1918-The attack on Belleau Wood, West of Chateau-Thierry

19 July 1918 ended 2nd Battalion's part in the fighting around Soissons-Chateau-Thierry sector. 5th & 6th Marines are honored by the French government a second time with a gilt star to the Croix de Guerre (first citation was for the attack on Belleau Wood).

12 September 1918, the St. Mihiel Campaign. 2/6 advances on Limey

October 1918- participation in operations in the Champagne sector which earns them their 3rd Citation by the French Army. Awarded the 2nd Palm for the Croix de Guerre & the French Fourragere

November 1-11 Meusse-Argonne operations

13 December- 2/6 crosses the Rhine River & assumes occupation duties

19 June 1919- Return to Quantico, Va & participates in the 2nd Division parade in New York.

More on the 2/6th's history here:

2/6th Bn Historical Outline(click here!)

What I am sharing with you today are two WWI photo postcards relating to the 78th Company (G), 2nd Bn, 6th Marines (4th Brigade).

The first image is a nice Company shot of the 78th while on occupation duties. There is some great detail here, showing EGAs, SSIs, medals/awards & a few Browning Assault Rifles (I count at least three BARs...). In regards to the awards, I can plainly see 'shooting' medals but there are at least a few of them that look like crosses suspended from a bar. Are they marksmanship awards or DSCs? There's not enough detail for me to be sure...

There is a note on back which is signed by a 78th Co. Marine, George J Pike. Thanks to Dirk, I was able to document that Pike joined the 78th Co. on 18 June and was wounded barely a month later on 19 July. He would rejoin the company on 10 October & serve through occupation duties.

More on the other image soon...

-Chuck

post-518-1265583359.jpg

Here is the other image I mentioned...

This one shows three Teufel Hundin in front of Co. G's guard house. Notice the nice artist signed Co. G insignia painted on the window in the background. All three Marines have ribbon bars but I cannot tell for sure what they are.

This postcard has writing on back which I cannot make out for sure. It appears to say "3 Men, Co ger[many], McDaniels". If you have a different interpretation, please feel free to say so.

-Chuck

post-518-1265584904.jpg

jeremiahcable

Nice images Chuck! There are 4 Marines with McDaniel (no S) as a last name in the 6th Regiment but they are in the 76th, 82nd, 96th, and HQ companies. There is one McDaniels listed in the 4th Brigade but no note on what unit. He was Joe McDaniels, 74240, and he was a Silver Star Citation winner.

Dirk, Jeremiah-

Thanks!

After reading the back again on the trio portrait, I'm wondering if it might say "3 Men/Co G in ?/McDaniel(s)"

I'm wondering if the name is indeed "McDaniel(s)". What do you think? Could it be something else?

I think I spotted the guy in the middle of this portrait sitting front/center in the Company group shot. Here is a cropped image. Same guy? Man, that's a tiny image. Excuse me while I figure out how to save it in a larger format. I'm working with the new Corel Paintshop Photo Pro X3 & haven't quite figured out all the buttons...

-Chuck

post-518-1265756047.jpg

Chuck,

Peter Owens book "Limit of Endurance," is about 2/6 during the war. It is a real great book and Peter Owen has visited the Forum.

Enrique

Chuck,

Peter Owens book "Limit of Endurance," is about 2/6 during the war. It is a real great book and Peter Owen has visited the Forum.

Enrique

Enrique-

Let's hope he stops by! I'm looking forward to any input he may have. Same with all of our other members here on the forum. If you've got any data/comments to add, I'm all ears!

I cropped the image again & this time noticed what may be another possible ID of one of the guys in that trio shot. The Marine in center is the guy seated to the far left in this cropped pic. Now, the Marine standing to the right of the same trio shot, might be the guy you see seated here at far right. Match?

-Chuck

post-518-1265757062.jpg

Here's a cropped image of the Company Officers. Who was the commander of the 78th? Is that a shooting medal I see above his pocket or something else? The guy standing behing him & to his right is clearly wearing a sharpshooter medal. I'm just curious about a positive ID on the cross-like one being worn by the CO.

-Chuck

post-518-1265757369.jpg

Chuck, Last year I was fortunate enought to buy a letter grouping written by a 78th Co. Marine. He was very late war, arriving in France before the Armistice, but did not join the 78th Co. until 22 Nov 1918. He remained with the 78th Co. until Aug 1919 when he returned to Quantico. I was able to buy about 40 letters beginning with him writing his parents and explaining why he wants to join the Marines and ending with him in Aug 1919 expecting to be discharged.

Here is an example of one of his letters and envelope. One point of interest is the envelope. Note that it does not say "Soldier's Mail" but rather "Marine Mail".

Wish I could identify this Marine in your photo!

post-203-1265773724.jpg

Eric-

That's a neat piece of USMC history & I can see why it's in your collection ;) I wish I could help you out here but I'm just glad I could get a possible ID on one of the Marines. I'm still curious as to the commander's name. Anyone know it?

Now that I think about IDing other faces in the crowd, I know there were a handful of DSC recipients from this company. If I had their portraits, we could probably pick their faces out of the crowd.

'Irish'-

Thanks for the link. That was a pretty neat postcard!

-Chuck

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
Chuck,

The commander is James Sellers. Here is a pic of him, he is the one in the backrow, 4th from the right.

Enrique

The 78th Company was Messersmith's old Company. It had many well known Marines in its ranks including MOH winner Jon Pruitt, and snipers Ople Waggoner, Carl Whipple and Edward Severance. 1st Lt Jim Sellars was shot in the groin on 6 Jun while Commanding the 1st Platoon. The 78th is probably best known for being gassed into non-effectiveness on 6 Jun and 14 Jun when Capt Messersmith was temporarily blinded by gas.

The Company was originally 67% Univ of Minn graduates, one of the Platoon Commanders was an Army officer (2nd Lt Eddy), and the Company had numerous world class athletes. There has probably never been, before or since, a Marine Company with more college graduates in its ranks.

Jim

Enrique-

Great photo. Thanks! It helps me identify at least 5 of the officers in the Company shot. Here's what I've come up with:

1) James Sellers (CO)

2) Edward C Fowler (1st Lt)

3) Henry S. Bogan (2nd Lt)- Is that one of Bogan's DSCs I see or is it a sharpshooter badge?

4) Emmons J. Robb (2nd Lt)

5) Tom Jones (2nd Lt)

I couldn't identify 1st Lt's Dale S. Young or Richard R. Day amongst the officers in my group shot.

Jim-

Thank you too! I appreciate the additional data on the 78th. Do you know of any photos that exist of Jon Pruitt, and snipers Ople Waggoner, Carl Whipple or Edward Severance? I would like to see if I could pick them out of the crowd.

I guess while I'm at it...

Jeremiah-

Do you know if a photo exists of Joe McDaniels? I'm fairly confident the name on back is McDaniels. It would be outstanding if I could ID him too...

-Chuck

post-518-1266050497.jpg

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
Enrique-

Great photo. Thanks! It helps me identify at least 5 of the officers in the Company shot. Here's what I've come up with:

1) James Sellers (CO)

2) Edward C Fowler (1st Lt)

3) Henry S. Bogan (2nd Lt)- Is that one of Bogan's DSCs I see or is it a sharpshooter badge?

4) Emmons J. Robb (2nd Lt)

5) Tom Jones (2nd Lt)

I couldn't identify 1st Lt's Dale S. Young or Richard R. Day amongst the officers in my group shot.

Jim-

Thank you too! I appreciate the additional data on the 78th. Do you know of any photos that exist of Jon Pruitt, and snipers Ople Waggoner, Carl Whipple or Edward Severance? I would like to see if I could pick them out of the crowd.

I guess while I'm at it...

Jeremiah-

Do you know if a photo exists of Joe McDaniels? I'm fairly confident the name on back is McDaniels. It would be outstanding if I could ID him too...

-Chuck

Chuck,

This is a picture of Cpl. John Henry Pruitt, Scout/Sniper KIA at Mont Blanc "while sniping" the enemy after winning two MOH's in the same action. Pruitt was a well known athlete and a pretty tough guy with excellent character. I don't have photos of the snipers mentioned, but sure wish I did. Each Company had a Scout/Sniper Section of 28 men, led by a Chief of Snipers (enlisted man) and a Company Scout Officer. It is very difficult to identify the Scout/Snipers, and even more difficult to find pictures of them.

Jim Tarleton

post-6343-1266080938.jpg

post-6343-1266081568.jpg

jeremiahcable

Chuck, I don't know of any photos of McDaniels. His file at NARA may or may not have one. Might be worth contacting them to see if they can just scan the file photo for you to make a comparison?

Jim-

I appreciate the image of Pruitt & the additional data. He was a true American hero. Rest in peace, John...

Jeremiah-

I'll see what I can do about contacting NARA for a possible picture of McDaniels. In the mean time, is there anyone here making a trip over to the archives any time soon :think:

Sorry for my tardy reply. I've also been preoccupied with my WWI Aviation research. Thank you both again for your help.

Charles,

Can't believe we forgot to mention John Kelley, who was awarded the Navy/ Army MOH in Mont Blanc....

U.S. Navy Medal of Honor citation of Private John Joseph Kelly, USMC (as printed in the official publication "Medal of Honor, 1861-1949, The Navy", page 119):

"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the Seventy-eighth Company, Sixth Regiment, Second Division, in action with the enemy at Blanc Mont Ridge, France, 3 October 1918. Private Kelly ran through our own barrage a hundred yards in advance of the front line and attacked an enemy machine-gun nest, killing the gunner with a grenade, shooting another member of the crew with his pistol, and returning through the barrage with eight prisoners."

U.S. Army Medal of Honor citation of Private John Joseph Kelly, USMC (as printed in the official publication "Medal of Honor Recipients, 1863-1978 ", page 447-448):

"Pvt. Kelly ran through our own barrage 100 yards in advance of the front line and attacked an enemy machine-gun nest, killing the gunner with a grenade, shooting another member of the crew with his pistol, and returning through the barrage with eight prisoners."

post-2633-1266682620.jpg

USMC A5 Sniper Rifle
I love this photo.....Private among Generals.......

I note he is wearing a Purple Heart Medal, which he couldn't have gotten before 1931. Was he still in the Corps at that time? Kind of late for a portrait in uniform.

Jim

Enrique-

Thanks for posting these pictures of Kelly. I really like that first one the best. It's a crystal clear example of Marines wearing Army issued uniforms.

Take a look at the guy seated center of this scan. Kelly?

Jim-

Excellent point! I just noticed the PH myself...

-Chuck

post-518-1266703472.jpg