Modern knuckle knives?

gunner

i was wondering if knuckle knives were used after WW1 & WW2? i did some searching around the web to see if there was any information on knuckle knives being used in more recent military action but found nothing. i also did searches for modern production knuckle knives and i couldnt find much more than what look to be crappy reproductions of 1918 trench knives and some cheesy modern tantos.

does anyone have any knowledge or photos of knuckle knives in use after WW2... vietnam? afghanistan? iraq? or any other current events?

Still-A-Marine

The following is an article by Frank Trzaska.

Vietnam Knuckle Knives

By

Frank Trzaska

Notes On United States Military Edged Cutlery

Thoughts:

My thoughts on this column were simple, my notes are scattered all around me and not really in any scientific order. This will be a place to jot down my thoughts as I examine new items and receive new information. The test of time will be if I can continue to remember to put them all in here and keep this updated. 

Vietnam Knuckle Knives:

During the Blade Show ‘98 in Atlanta this past year a talk was given on military knives in Vietnam. The speaker was Mike Farrell a Special Forces veteran. According to Mike some of the knives in use were made up by the company armorer specifically for them. Using a common USN / USMC Mark 2 blade and a 1918 brass knuckle handle from the 1918 Mark 1 Trench knife. These knives were used in the field as well as being "trade bait" for rear echelon types. The handles were original when available but more often cheap reproductions then, and still, available. Don't pass up one of these Mark 2's believing it to be something recently put together. The guards were ground off on one side allowing them to be held in the common leather or hard plastic Navy scabbards. A unique story and a not so unique knife as they had many made from the Vietnam period.

End Article

I have on the 1918 Mark 1 knives with the guard ground off. It is one of the many I have not gotten around to photographing.

Tony-in-NH has many knuckle knives. Some of which are Vietnam era.

Here is one I do have pictures of. Made from a Clyde Cutlery Company USMC Hospital Corps Knife and a ACC 1917 Trench Knife D-Guard Knuckle. This was supposed to be a Vietnam piece.

post-4347-1265186953.jpg

post-4347-1265186965.jpg

post-4347-1265186978.jpg

i was wondering if knuckle knives were used after WW1 & WW2? i did some searching around the web to see if there was any information on knuckle knives being used in more recent military action but found nothing. i also did searches for modern production knuckle knives and i couldnt find much more than what look to be crappy reproductions of 1918 trench knives and some cheesy modern tantos.

does anyone have any knowledge or photos of knuckle knives in use after WW2... vietnam? afghanistan? iraq? or any other current events?

Here is a VIETNAM Knuckle. I acquired a few years ago. It is made out of a COLT Bayonet. It was nice to meet you at the last show. We were at tables next to each other and didn't know it.

IMG_1877.jpg

The best example of the Vietnam era is the Parson's knife, EDMF is the best current example of knuckle knives. I carried a EDMF knuckle grip on my M9 bayonet when I was still active duty.

The best example of the Vietnam era is the Parson's knife, EDMF is the best current example of knuckle knives. I carried a EDMF knuckle grip on my M9 bayonet when I was still active duty.

Here is a PARSONS Knuckle for you.

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

do you still have that knife? do you have pictures? or can you take some? thats pretty cool. i was thinking about how if and when i join id like to carry a knuckle knife and i was trying to imagine what i would carry/ construct and then i began to think i must not be the only one with this mind set, therefore there must be others out there. i wonder what there are in todays conflicts for knuckle knives or even theatre made knives in general?! i hope this topic grows because it could be very interesting, i already learned quite a bit about knuckle knives in vietnam, thanks guys!!!

do you still have that knife? do you have pictures?

I do, but its buried somewhere and it would take me awhile to find it. I did copy this pic off the EDMF web site. The M9 grip is a neat invention of Dale Sandberg's, you remove the plastic grip, slide the D guard on and reattach the pommel.

Jeb

post-3372-1265336389.jpg

Here's an example of a true modern theater made knuckle knife. I was in Afghanistan in late 2006, and one day at a US weapons depot run mostly by USN armorers I saw one of them had a converted 1918 MKII theater knife. I asked him about it and they had used their tools to convert a few MKIIs and the cheap Pakistan 1918 knives from the bazaar. They had thrown away the cheap blade and replaced it with the MKII, in this case a Camillus. The Paki 1918 grips are much thicker cast than originals, way too thick to be able to use with gloves, so 2 of the finger stalls were removed. I accomplished a horse trade and walked out with one of the knives, the coolest thing I came back with from Afghanistan (other than my life).

Jeb

post-3372-1265336898.jpg

I do, but its buried somewhere and it would take me awhile to find it. I did copy this pic off the EDMF web site. The M9 grip is a neat invention of Dale Sandberg's, you remove the plastic grip, slide the D guard on and reattach the pommel.

Jeb

Jeb

I have wanted to order a couple of the EDMF knives.Do you know if he is stll taking orders as his webb site hasnt changed in a couple years and his delivery time is still listed the same.I may call him.

Thats pretty cool M9 you have.....high speed.

RON

Jeb

I have wanted to order a couple of the EDMF knives.Do you know if he is stll taking orders as his webb site hasnt changed in a couple years and his delivery time is still listed the same.I may call him.

Thats pretty cool M9 you have.....high speed.

RON

Ron,

I dont know, I havent ordered anything from Dale since 2005 or so. He used to give servicemen first priority, so I always got my orders quickly from him. His work is top notch and really worth the price, someday when he's not making them anymore I think the prices on his knives will skyrocket. Give him a call or email and see if he's still taking orders.

Jeb

Ron,

I dont know, I havent ordered anything from Dale since 2005 or so. He used to give servicemen first priority, so I always got my orders quickly from him. His work is top notch and really worth the price, someday when he's not making them anymore I think the prices on his knives will skyrocket. Give him a call or email and see if he's still taking orders.

Jeb

Thanks Jeb :thumbsup:

I first saw his knives around the time of Desert Storm.I believe he was also personalizing the knives for soldiers.Adding name or motto to the flat area of the knuckle bow.

RD

Here's an example of a true modern theater made knuckle knife. I was in Afghanistan in late 2006, and one day at a US weapons depot run mostly by USN armorers I saw one of them had a converted 1918 MKII theater knife. I asked him about it and they had used their tools to convert a few MKIIs and the cheap Pakistan 1918 knives from the bazaar. They had thrown away the cheap blade and replaced it with the MKII, in this case a Camillus. The Paki 1918 grips are much thicker cast than originals, way too thick to be able to use with gloves, so 2 of the finger stalls were removed. I accomplished a horse trade and walked out with one of the knives, the coolest thing I came back with from Afghanistan (other than my life).

Jeb

Now that is cool......smokin cool

RD

Jeb

in my head this is what i imagined i would want to carry!!! amazing!!!

According to Mike some of the knives in use were made up by the company armorer specifically for them. Using a common USN / USMC Mark 2 blade and a 1918 brass knuckle handle from the 1918 Mark 1 Trench knife. These knives were used in the field as well as being "trade bait" for rear echelon types. The handles were original when available but more often cheap reproductions then, and still, available.

Dug out one I own, this one is certainly Vietnam era, its made with a Conetta MKII blade. The guard on the left side is cut down so the knife will fit the sheath. Knife and sheath are near mint.

Jeb

post-3372-1265564927.jpg

Still-A-Marine
Ron,

Jeb

A young man I have known for over 20 years just graduated Marine Corps boot camp a couple of months ago. I had planned on buying a couple EDMF knives for him but the thought of waiting 10 or 11 months changed my mind. Instead I gave him one of my PAL USMC WW2 knives. I think he liked it even more since it came out of my collection. Bill

If someone will go over how to post pics again I will post one of my knuckle knife. I tried and was unable. It is made from a repro handle and a Camillus Kbar blade. I ordered an EDMF bolo knuckle knife over 18 months ago and haven't heard from them yet. I was supposed to get the expedited delivery that he offers to servicemembers. I emailed Dale a few weeks ago and he hasn't replied. I hope everything is okay, he mentioned health problems when I ordered the knife.

According to Mike some of the knives in use were made up by the company armorer specifically for them. Using a common USN / USMC Mark 2 blade and a 1918 brass knuckle handle from the 1918 Mark 1 Trench knife. These knives were used in the field as well as being "trade bait" for rear echelon types. The handles were original when available but more often cheap reproductions then, and still, available.

Dug out one I own, this one is certainly Vietnam era, its made with a Conetta MKII blade. The guard on the left side is cut down so the knife will fit the sheath. Knife and sheath are near mint.

Jeb

Now that is an awesome knife :thumbsup: !

Tim

this is pretty cool, a little research on the web shows a few different example of these theatre made 1918 mk2's

this one is from snyderstreasures.com, and is a ww2 marines theatre made USMC KABAR marked, japanese marking on sheath mean triple.

post-3483-1267044833.jpg

heres another cool one from snyderstreasures.com, this time cast with aluminum. "This knife was probably made for a combat engineer or EOD engineer that needed a non-magnetic knife." "This is a VERY unusual variant of the second Model 1918 style commando fighting knuckle knife with a WESTERN Bowie blade design and cast entirely in ALUMINUM."

post-3483-1267045230.jpg

a couple EDMF knives, current theatre used. two using mk2 blades and one using a marine m9 bayonet. the mk2 with the red para cord n the handle was "A custom knife made by EDMF for an Air Force Combat Controller with "CCT" and "First There" formed into the handle". found at usmilitaryknives.com

post-3483-1267054444.jpeg