Original C loops (D-bail, M-2 Airborne)

ccmax

Hi everyone, M2 helmets are rare down here, but they do exist. I'm following a lead to a couple of near relic condition M2 shells, so this is a learning experience for me which we could all profit from in consolidating some knowledge about original C loops. No, I'm not going to start to collect AB stuff if someone is wondering... :lol:

I'm going to use other member's photos so please if you don't like to see your helmet here drop me a PM and I'll delete the image.

post-2250-1240409985.jpg

This one belongs to just-a-good-ole-boy:

post-2533-1240450206.jpg

Please add images of your original C loop M2 helmets aka "D bails". Let's just focus on the loops - no need to post chin strap or cork texture details.

Cesar.

From the files, a D-Bail, D-bail, D-Loop or as the Army correctly called it and Cesar pointed out, the C-Loop!

post_771_1258473692.jpg

Very interesting theme, if someone could give an answer, utilie to know the measures of the D balle I have underlined with a photo,

thanks

post-6793-1265114333.jpg

Do all D-bales have that dimple on the rim edging?...or is that a random thing on some M1s?..... :think: ..mike

I think it was only on the first steel helmets productions, you can see the same thing on early Mc Cord productions, 1941/1942 era...

i appreciate you all observing the dimple in the rim and mentioning it...(i never would have known that) but anyways heres a pic of a bail on my helmet you can kind of see the dimple in the rim...

post-7369-1265249860.jpg

Ben,

I've added your images here for reference.

The gauge of the steel loops on your M2 is consistent with the ones shown above, correct? Thanks.

post-19-1265448104.jpg

post-19-1265448437.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
gingerbread

:rolleyes:

From my collect, a Normandy one:

imgp4088.jpg

imgp4092.jpg

imgp4094.jpg

imgp4096.jpg

imgp4097m.jpg

imgp4098.jpg