• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 kjones5452

kjones5452
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,883
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:30 AM

I just got my catalog. Are these prices real? M1 Garand H&R in service grade for $595.00,S&H $22.95, Anniston is an hour to the east from me. Any of ya'll ever got weapons thru the CMP Thanks Freddy

#2 Blair217

Blair217
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,260
  • 715 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:27 AM

LOL I sure have.So far 6 M1s,1 M1903,a U.S.property marked Mossberg M44,an M1 Carbine,and a bunch of ammunition.If you meet the purchasing requirements you can't beat them.They currently are coming up with some very nice late M1s.The SG rifles are not some cherry sat in a warehouse never issued rifles but are very nice.The rifles they now have are mostly returns to the army from the Military Assitance Program from countries overseas.If I lived an hour from the store I'd be broke all the time.Ordering by mail is a crapshoot on condition,they call it luck of the draw.The grading criteria for FG and SG rifles is based on bore condition and muzzle erosion and throat erosion readings.Going to the store is the way to go.Very few WW2 dated rifles showing up and they are or have been rebuilt.Another plus,if you meet purchasing requirements and NICS check,they ship direct to you,no FFL if not purchasing in store.They also often have things in the store for sale not listed in the catalogs due to small amounts.Currently they have some NOS 03 and 03A3 stocks.They have reported there will be bayonets available sometime this year.They have a website that will have updated offerings and prices.Expect a price increase soon.Last year they had VFW and Legion returns of Krag Rifles,M1903s,and M1917 rifles in varying conditions.

Edited by Blair217, 30 January 2010 - 08:34 AM.

#3 m1ashooter

m1ashooter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,672
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:33 AM

I am a CMP customer. LY I bought a rack grade NPM carbine. I refinished the stock and it shoots as designed.

#4 kjones5452

kjones5452
  • Members
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:40 AM

LOL I sure have.So far 6 M1s,1 M1903,a U.S.property marked Mossberg M44,an M1 Carbine,and a bunch of ammunition.If you meet the purchasing requirements you can't beat them.They currently are coming up with some very nice late M1s.The SG rifles are not some cherry sat in a warehouse never issued rifles but are very nice.The rifles they now have are mostly returns to the army from the Military Assitance Program from countries overseas.If I lived an hour from the store I'd be broke all the time.Ordering by mail is a crapshoot on condition,they call it luck of the draw.The grading criteria for FG and SG rifles is based on bore condition and muzzle erosion and throat erosion readings.Going to the store is the way to go.Very few WW2 dated rifles showing up and they are or have been rebuilt.Another plus,if you meet purchasing requirements and NICS check,they ship direct to you,no FFL if not purchasing in store.They also often have things in the store for sale not listed in the catalogs due to small amounts.Currently they have some NOS 03 and 03A3 stocks.They have reported there will be bayonets available ometime this year.They have a website that will have updated offerings and prices.Expect a price increase soon.

MANY,MANY THANKS! It sounded easy from checkin out the web site,so basically it's the goverments gun store,alright,I can live with that.

#5 mrhell

mrhell
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,414
  • 627 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:52 AM

MANY,MANY THANKS! It sounded easy from checkin out the web site,so basically it's the goverments gun store,alright,I can live with that.

A store visit is a must and there is no better place to purchase your first M1. You will have a great time even if you don't buy anything.... LOLOLOL yeah, like "that" will happen. :laughing1: SOME ADVICE: If you think you might spend $800... bring $1,600. at least. Allow the whole day, have your paperwork ready and enjoy! (you will) :thumbsup:

#6 UPNATM

UPNATM
  • Members
    • Member ID: 534
  • 608 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:39 AM

The CMP is awesome. I got both my Garand and my Carbine from them. Their customer service is unlike anything around now a days. It amazes me
that in the year 2010 you can still pick up a piece of history like that for such a great price. :thumbsup:

#7 kjones5452

kjones5452
  • Members
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:04 AM

The CMP is awesome. I got both my Garand and my Carbine from them. Their customer service is unlike anything around now a days. It amazes me
that in the year 2010 you can still pick up a piece of history like that for such a great price. :thumbsup:

I was just sittin here thinkin about what you said,and you are 100 percent right. And if a person REALLY thinks about it ,they've got a chance to buy a piece of history and thats nothing but a good thing.

#8 svt40

svt40
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,749
  • 674 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:26 AM

A store visit is a must and there is no better place to purchase your first M1. You will have a great time even if you don't buy anything.... LOLOLOL yeah, like "that" will happen. :laughing1: SOME ADVICE: If you think you might spend $800... bring $1,600. at least. Allow the whole day, have your paperwork ready and enjoy! (you will) :thumbsup:

This is sooo true. I went to the south store with the intent of purchasing a single M1 carbine. I ended up walking out with 2 M1 carbines and an H&R M1 Garand plus 1000 rounds of 30.06 ammo and about 10 M1 carbine magazines!

Just a word though. If you find a rifle you like HOLD ON TO IT! If you set it back in the rack and think I'll grab it when I'm done looking it'll be gone. Also ask to borrow a muzzle erosion gauge from the armorer counter.

#9 gunbarrel

gunbarrel
  • Members
    • Member ID: 70
  • 6,319 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

The DCM (Director of Civilian Marksmanship) program and its descendant, the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) are GREAT. I obtained my M1 Garand from the CMP in 1993 for $165, my Mossberg 44 US in 2000 for $75 and my M1 Inland carbine a couple of years ago for $450. :thumbsup:

#10 Jason G

Jason G
  • Members
    • Member ID: 271
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:14 PM

My tax refund is going for a carbine for sure. Can't beat 'em!

#11 oldfireguy

oldfireguy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,040
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:00 PM

I've gotten 16 from them and I would be in big trouble if I lived only an hour away. Great program.

#12 Chris_B

Chris_B
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,065
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:56 AM

Nobody has tortured K Jones with photos of their CMP M1 yet?

God, you guys are polite!

CMP Service grade, '44 SA receiver, '46 SA barrel, replacement USGI handguards, USGI stock that came on the rifle (lot of work on it though). Installed a lockbar yesterday, no pics yet

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Chuck_Older/M1black-1.jpg

Edited by Chris_B, 31 January 2010 - 05:57 AM.

#13 ron_brock

ron_brock
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,121
  • 570 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:10 AM

I went to the store for the first time last year and told myself that the only way I would walk out with a gun (as I didn't really need to spend the money) was if they had an Auto Ordnance contract IBM carbine.... there were five to choose from!! I picked out a nice one with highwood stock and a few other good features.

I'll be heading back again sometime this year.

- Ron

#14 kjones5452

kjones5452
  • Members
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:16 AM

Nobody has tortured K Jones with photos of their CMP M1 yet?

God, you guys are polite!

CMP Service grade, '44 SA receiver, '46 SA barrel, replacement USGI handguards, USGI stock that came on the rifle (lot of work on it though). Installed a lockbar yesterday, no pics yet

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Chuck_Older/M1black-1.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!
Going thru garand withdrawals.Need to head to Anniston for a fix.Thanks gents,Freddy

#15 Larry G.

Larry G.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,103
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

I just got my catalog. Are these prices real? M1 Garand H&R in service grade for $595.00,S&H $22.95, Anniston is an hour to the east from me. Any of ya'll ever got weapons thru the CMP Thanks Freddy

Freddy, a word of advice, send in your paper work a couple of weeks before you go . This is just to make sure you can take one home the same day. If there are any delays they will let you know.
I've bought 8 of 9 of my M1s from CMP going back to"99. Great to deal with. It was luck of the draw due to Anniston being too far to drive (before North store opened) and was pleased with each one. Got 1 prewar,5 WW2 ,one a Winchester and 2 postwar SA and HR. I picked up An IHC and Smith Corona 1903A3 at an estate sale.

Good Luck

#16 svt40

svt40
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,749
  • 674 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:20 AM

Freddy, a word of advice, send in your paper work a couple of weeks before you go . This is just to make sure you can take one home the same day. If there are any delays they will let you know.
I've bought 8 of 9 of my M1s from CMP going back to"99. Great to deal with. It was luck of the draw due to Anniston being too far to drive (before North store opened) and was pleased with each one. Got 1 prewar,5 WW2 ,one a Winchester and 2 postwar SA and HR. I picked up An IHC and Smith Corona 1903A3 at an estate sale.

Good Luck

This is something I had not thought of. Good advice. By 1000 the place was packed! I got there at about 8am and was out the door by 1300. I however did not do any paperwork nor did I bring any. I just showed up with my military ID and it all went smoothly. If you are ex-military do not forget your DD214.

#17 kjones5452

kjones5452
  • Members
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:41 AM

Good Luck

Many thanks Larry,been tryin to get my brother turned on to this and also the Forum,that both would
be to his advantage.

#18 Blair217

Blair217
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,260
  • 715 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:32 PM

Many thanks Larry,been tryin to get my brother turned on to this and also the Forum,that both would
be to his advantage.

Go to the CMP forum and find one of the south store reports with the pictures of racks and racks full of M1 rifles and carbines.If that don't turn him on nothing will. :lol:

#19 navcic7

navcic7
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 7,973
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:46 PM

You cannot go wrong with CMP. First rate customer service. If you have a problem with a rifle, they will work with you to make it right. Visit a store if you can.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users