How Do You Preserve a WWII D-Day Assault Vest

Government Issue

Government Issue

I just aquired over Christmas a 1944 Harrian Medium sized assault vest in Kahki with Od#7 trim. There has been some fading on the size marking to where it is bearly readable, yet you can just make it out. The Harrian 1944 stamp is in perfect condition. How would I go about preserving this unique piece of military history? :think:

Seriously, keep it dry, outta sunlight and let it breathe, don't pack it up in a plastic bag. Also if it's on a hanger, make it a wooden one. Wire hangers rust if you aren't careful.

Just to continue the advice-I would keep in in an acid free box, with acid free tissue supporting it. Better to let it rest flat or with it's natural folds cushioned with acid free tissue. By all means no plastic.

congrats!

Government Issue

Thank you for your help 37th guy I really apreciate it, and Capa, thank your contribution to the topic! I will hang it on wood hanger until I display it, and if I ever move I'll use capa's idea. Thank you two for the much needed assistance! Thumbsup to the both of you :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you for your help 37th guy I really apreciate it, and Capa, thank your contribution to the topic! I will hang it on wood hanger until I display it, and if I ever move I'll use capa's idea. Thank you two for the much needed assistance! Thumbsup to the both of you :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

People may be able to comment on this further, but wouldnt a mannequin and possibly a glass display cabinet to store it in be a good idea as well? This way it keeps the shape of a human figure?

Just an idea.

Government Issue
People may be able to comment on this further, but wouldnt a mannequin and possibly a glass display cabinet to store it in be a good idea as well? This way it keeps the shape of a human figure?

Just an idea.

cszakolczai, I am going to exactly do that later, after I aquire some more items to display with it. ;)

cszakolczai, I am going to exactly do that later, after I aquire some more items to display with it. ;)

Very nice, I'd love to see it when you have it displayed.

• 6 months later...
Government Issue

I started this topic seven months ago, and I haven't let any of you see pictures of the jacket. I feel lazy! :pinch: :lol:

For your viewing pleasure.

2ajygyu.jpg

kbez9v.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Cobrahistorian

I'm a little late to this thread, and I must say NICE VEST! As far as wooden hangars go, many of them do off-gas as well, so they are not the best alternative. If you're going to put things on wooden hangars, the best way to protect them is to cover the hangar with a mylar sheet and then buffered tissue over that. That will create a barrier and a cushion for your item. Both can be purchased relatively easily and both are chemically inert, so they won't damage your item.