#1 AndrewA74

AndrewA74

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 889
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:19 AM

Hello,
I bought this clip a while back with one 40 mm shell on it. I recently bought two more 40 mm shells to go with it. I was wondering if this is an Ack-Ack clip? It reads USN ordnance.....40mm MK 5. The shell that came with it is MK 3, while the others I bought are WWII vintage MK 2. Can anyone give me info on this peice?
Thanks!
AndrewA74

Attached Images

• PICT0025.jpg

#2 AndrewA74

AndrewA74

BANNED

• Banned
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:20 AM

It holds 4 shells....

Attached Images

• PICT0026.jpg

#3 AndrewA74

AndrewA74

BANNED

• Banned
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 06:22 AM

...the realease mechanism...

Attached Images

• PICT0027.jpg

Edited by AndrewA74, 23 June 2007 - 06:23 AM.

#4 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:52 AM

Hi Andrew:

I think you have figured it out already. The clip holds the ammunition for the 40MM AA guns found on WW2 era US Navy ships in great abundance. Of Bofors design, these guns were capable of high rates of fire and were very effective.

Below is a Navy pic which illustrates how the ammunition was loaded into the guns, in this case a quad mount on the USS Alaska.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/Ordnanceguy/Headgear/NavyTalkerhelmet40mmgun.jpg

#5 AndrewA74

AndrewA74

BANNED

• Banned
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:57 AM

Hi Andrew:

I think you have figured it out already. The clip holds the ammunition for the 40MM AA guns found on WW2 era US Navy ships in great abundance. Of Bofors design, these guns were capable of high rates of fire and were very effective.

Below is a Navy pic which illustrates how the ammunition was loaded into the guns, in this case a quad mount on the USS Alaska.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/Ordnanceguy/Headgear/NavyTalkerhelmet40mmgun.jpg

Are these very rare? What would be the value of this piece? Since the clip says MK 5, does that mean I have to find MK 5 shells to go with it to make it "authentic"?
Sincerely,
AndrewA74

#6 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:10 AM

Are these very rare? What would be the value of this piece? Since the clip says MK 5, does that mean I have to find MK 5 shells to go with it to make it "authentic"?

Hi Andrew:

I have not seen a lot of them around, but I would not consider them to be "rare". There were millions of them made in WW2. There is not much demand for that sort of thing, as compared to small arms accessories, but I suppose it does have some value. I would not know what particular value to place on it, but would guesstimate it in the $20 range.

The Mk 5 refers to the "model" number of the clip itself, not the ammunition. All you need are 40MM rounds dated for the era that is of interest to you. The Mk numbers on the base of the cartridges refers to the "model" number of the ammunition. (The Navy uses Mark numbers the way the Army uses Model numbers.)

I hope this helps you.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

#7 AndrewA74

AndrewA74

BANNED

• Banned
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:12 AM

Hi Andrew:

I have not seen a lot of them around, but I would not consider them to be "rare". There were millions of them made in WW2. There is not much demand for that sort of thing, as compared to small arms accessories, but I suppose it does have some value. I would not know what particular value to place on it, but would guesstimate it in the $20 range.

The Mk 5 refers to the "model" number of the clip itself, not the ammunition. All you need are 40MM rounds dated for the era that is of interest to you. The Mk numbers on the base of the cartridges refers to the "model" number of the ammunition. (The Navy uses Mark numbers the way the Army uses Model numbers.)

I hope this helps you.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

Thank you for the info! One more question, why is the 1st shell sort of silver?

#8 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:27 AM

Thank you for the info! One more question, why is the 1st shell sort of silver?

It may be zinc coated steel rather than brass. During WW2 brass was a critical material and was in short supply. The Navy's BuOrd and the Ordnance Department experimented with using steel cased ammunition to lessen the demand for brass. Put a magnet on it and see if it sticks, and you will know if it is steel.

Charlie Flick

#9 AndrewA74

AndrewA74

BANNED

• Banned
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:32 AM

It may be zinc coated steel rather than brass. During WW2 brass was a critical material and was in short supply. The Navy's BuOrd and the Ordnance Department experimented with using steel cased ammunition to lessen the demand for brass. Put a magnet on it and see if it sticks, and you will know if it is steel.
Charlie Flick

The magnet sticks. The clip does say BU ORD on it. Since this shell is steel, is it more expensive?

#10 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:44 AM

Since this shell is steel, is it more expensive?

In my opinion, no.

Charlie

#11 Guest_cannonmn_*

Guest_cannonmn_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:37 AM

For reference, we sell WWII USN 40mm cartridge cases, steel, for $10. each. For brass examples, we get $20. We sell clips from $5. to $25. depending on rarity of the particular type and condition.

We have sold Mk 5 clips for $10. each.

springfieldarsenal.net

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users