AEF Service Coat, Spec. 1285. Modified for an Officer

GIl Sanow

Most of us are probably familiar with QM-tagged WW2 era officer uniforms. These were apparently made for OCS grads who perhaps did not have the financial wherewithall to buy custom-made uniforms. (It seems I read also somewhere that

the intent was to provide competition to prevent price gouging.)

When this one was offered to me some years ago, I was rather surprised to learn of its existance. The material is a heavy and soft melton wool. The collar is a bit higher to accomodate officer insignia and the pocket flaps are larger and squared off. The collar is not grommeted for EM collar discs, and there is the typical officer cuff bands. It has Engineer ("Essayons") buttons and Engineer officer collar insignia, and bullion 1LT bars. It has neither SSI or shoulder sleeve insignia, so I suspect the owner never went overseas.

The QM tag is really interesting. It shows that it was made on a QM contract by a NY tailor and that it is of a specific size. I suspect the officer bought it "off the rack" in a QM store though perhaps he was able to order it by mail if he was posted at a remote location.

I added the ribbon, without campaign stars since he apparent,y did not go overseas. If I were to display it, I would use an officer's garrison belt without the Sam Browne shoulder strap since these were not authorized stateside.

WW1_Engr_QM_1.jpg

Most of us are probably familiar with QM-tagged WW2 era officer uniforms. These were apparently made for OCS grads who perhaps did not have the financial wherewithall to buy custom-made uniforms. (It seems I read also somewhere that

the intent was to provide competition to prevent price gouging.)

When this one was offered to me some years ago, I was rather surprised to learn of its existance. The material is a heavy and soft melton wool. The collar is a bit higher to accomodate officer insignia and the pocket flaps are larger and squared off. The collar is not grommeted for EM collar discs, and there is the typical officer cuff bands. It has Engineer ("Essayons") buttons and Engineer officer collar insignia, and bullion 1LT bars. It has neither SSI or shoulder sleeve insignia, so I suspect the owner never went overseas.

The QM tag is really interesting. It shows that it was made on a QM contract by a NY tailor and that it is of a specific size. I suspect the officer bought it "off the rack" in a QM store though perhaps he was able to order it by mail if he was posted at a remote location.

I added the ribbon, without campaign stars since he apparent,y did not go overseas. If I were to display it, I would use an officer's garrison belt without the Sam Browne shoulder strap since these were not authorized stateside.

WW1_Engr_QM_2.jpg