• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 gunner

gunner
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,483
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

so here is a korean war era infrared sniper scope... it comes with the scope, the fore-grip for the gun, the battery, the battery cases, the carrying back-pack, and the manual. i have no idea about this???? what gun its for, the time period it was used, what its worth? etc etc.

everything is marked: Corps of engineers U.S. ARMY sniperscope, infrared, 20000 volts American optical co. Buffalo N.Y. and then the p.o. number and date (6-23-51) and stock list number.

any help, comments, etc are appreciated!!

Attached Images

• DSCN0082.jpg

#2 gunner

gunner
  • Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

Attached Images

• DSCN0085.jpg

#3 gunner

gunner
  • Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

Attached Images

• DSCN0086.jpg

#4 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,549
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

Those were typically used on M1 Carbines. It was so heavy on a weapon that the Garand was unbearably heavy with it mounted, most pictures though are of the carbine. By the way, this item, if in full working order will be worth a goodly chunk of money! Great item.

Edited by hawkdriver, 27 January 2010 - 06:44 PM.

#5 gunner

gunner
  • Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:53 PM

this scope works, we only have one of the batteries. the others were to rotted to keep because there acid. the carry bag looks like it came off the assembly line yesterday.

#6 copdoc

copdoc
  • Members
    • Member ID: 498
  • 429 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:28 PM

this scope works, we only have one of the batteries. the others were to rotted to keep because there acid. the carry bag looks like it came off the assembly line yesterday.

Nice to have one working. The resistance pots are usually broken or missing. Mounting bars are hard to find also. Don't store the batteries in it if you use original or lead acid type. Every bag I have seen is fragile prob from acid exposure. I put some pics of a mounted one and some accessories on this forum a while back I thought but can not find them.

#7 Linedoggie

Linedoggie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,030
  • 773 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:39 PM

Used on the M-2(select fire) Carbine with the rear sight removed and a special bracket replacing it.

#8 Gil Sanow

Gil Sanow

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 528
  • 4,010 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:40 PM

Probably close to 30 years ago I was with a friend when he fired his up. It was amazing how easily one was able to pick out a target in the dark to probably about 60 yds. It the guy was moving, it was easier yet. It was an interesting experiment.

G

#9 copdoc

copdoc
  • Members
    • Member ID: 498
  • 429 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

Used on the M-2(select fire) Carbine with the rear sight removed and a special bracket replacing it.

Also M20 series 3.5" rocket launcher as well as the carbines.

#10 gunner

gunner
  • Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

whats this thing worth in this working condition, with the bag intact the way it is?

#11 gunner

gunner
  • Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:04 AM

M2 Sniperscope mounted on M3 Carbine with flash hider. Soldier is CPL Walter A. Dyson, 25th Infantry Division, Korea, 1951. The box on the ground is a lead-acid battery pack.
olive-drab.com

just as an example

Attached Images

• carbine_m3_korea_400.jpg

#12 gunner

gunner
  • Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:05 AM

just a few images found with a quick google search.

Attached Images

• 800px_M1_z_celownikiem_noktowizyjnym.jpg
  • snipscm1.jpg

#13 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 344
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:52 AM

Carbine_Infra_red_002.jpg

Hi Gunner, here's an end of war advert for the Carbine with Infra-red vision.

In the advert it states that this particular model was used in the battle for Okinawa and credits it with 30% of the Japanese dead.

Cheers Lewis

Edited by General Apathy, 28 January 2010 - 01:58 AM.

#14 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:13 AM

I just put two and two together. Sniper scope..... on a carbine, the most inacurate gun of the military, that is an oxymoron.

#15 gunbarrel

gunbarrel
  • Members
    • Member ID: 70
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:16 AM

I just put two and two together. Sniper scope..... on a carbine, the most inacurate gun of the military, that is an oxymoron.

But think about it; if you put it on an M1 Garand, it would be tough carrying it around due to its weight and bulk.

#16 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:58 AM

But think about it; if you put it on an M1 Garand, it would be tough carrying it around due to its weight and bulk.

touche'

#17 SGM (ret.)

SGM (ret.)
  • Members
    • Member ID: 626
  • 462 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:54 AM

I think in its hand-held mode, the thing was also called a "snooper scope." It's use on the M3 carbine made pretty good sense when you consider that the scope's effective range was in the sub-100 yard range.

It makes an interesting contrast, though, with the German "Vampir" night sight which looks remarkably similar but was mounted on the MP-44 and MG-42. The Germans fielded an entire IR capable "night fighting" task force with IR search lights for general battle field illum, IR sights for halftrack drivers, and an IR equipped Panther tank. All of this came in the last months of the war and only saw very limited use on the Easten Front.

Interestingly enough, the Germans fielded a disposible IR detector for infantry troops because they were worried that the US would move in the same direction with IR capable night units. The disposible detector looked like a paper tube (ala toilet paper roll tube) with IR sensitive paper on one end. During the day, the user exposed the sensitive paper to the sun the "charge" it. Then at night, the user could look throuh it (actually just into it) and scan around to detect IR light sources (like IR equipped M3 Carbines and hand-held "snooper scopes).

Mike

#18 redshift911

redshift911
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 8,750
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:07 AM

I see these from time to time, but they rarely come with the rails for mounting them on the carbine. These were rarely used because you had to have the emitter turned on "the large circular thing on the scope" to get any range out of the scope. If the bad guys had a infrared scope with the emitter turned off they could easily spot you from 100s of yards away. It was not until the starlight systems came out the the 1960 that true night vision was used by the US military.

#19 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:36 AM

The Meta-scope PAS-6 was strictly an IR detector for the purposes of seeing large IR emitters on the battle field.

#20 kphfun

kphfun
  • Banned
    • Member ID: 3,273
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:47 PM

They were not made for long distance shooting. They were made for night time ambush and I have read many accounts of this use in Korea. I would put it on Ebay as that would be the best place to get the most for it. All the one's I recall seeing listed sold for over 1000.00. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)