Various WW1 Uniforms

Jim Baker

This is my first WWI uniform, and of course, it's armor. I really love the patch on this. The armored collar insignia is French made. Between the insignia and the patch, the uniform and pants were virtually free.

post-78-1167345909.jpg

post-78-1167345934.jpg

post-78-1167345956.jpg

post-78-1167345974.jpg

post-78-1167345995.jpg

For a total novice what do the different colours on the armoured patch denote?Also on the WW1 patch the colours "red and blue" are in a different position to a WW2 type?

Yellow - Cavalry

Red - Artillery

Blue - Infantry

General Patton, then a Colonel, was responsible for the design. "We claim to have the firepower of the artillery, the mobility of cavalry, and the ability to hold ground like the infantry." Yellow was on top to honor the cavalry, Patton's branch at the time. The WWII design came about in 1940. The red and blue were reversed on the later design, but examples of the hand made patches in WWI may have the colors reversed.

You will find the same 3 primary colours on the 66th Armored Regiment DIs of the 2nd Armored Division. This is because they can trace thier lineage back to the 1st or 2nd Tank Battalion of the 1st World War.

CNY Militaria

Here are some of my WWI uniforms:

3rd Corps Ordnance and 7th ID QM SGT.

Infantry Major, Named

Converted officer uniform, named Cpl. , WIA. Someone removed a shoulder patch before I had it.

mil_055.jpg

mil_056.jpg

mil_057.jpg

CNY Militaria

Advance Service of Supply First Sergeant. As you can see, its in bad condition, and I have contemplated removing all insignia.

26th ID WIA Uniform.

mil_058.jpg

mil_059.jpg

Pvt John Underwood served in the A.E.F. attached to E CO, 59th Inf, 4th Division, and was twice wounded by gun shot wound. The first GSW was on 08/10/1918 during the battle of Marne, and the second on 10/02/1918 during the Argonne Offensive. I also have this uniform listed in a post I created called "Father / Son Uniform Group". The uniform is private purchase and possibly French Made. I couldn't find a tailor label and the buttons are not marked. There are matching breeches on the hanger as well.

post-235-1168554709.jpg

Here is my 81st Division EM uniform (lightweight cotton summer uniform). You have to love the Wildcat patch. According to one of my friends who is a member of ASMIC, the Wildcats were the first to have an authorized shoulder insignia. If I recall correctly, they may have even had their insignia in use during combat operations.

post-77-1168571479.jpg

My only other W.W. I Uniform. This is the heavy wool (winter weight) EM uniform from the 89th Infantry Division. I believe this to be from an artillery unit assigned to the 89th.

post-77-1168571884.jpg

Here's the inside of the sleeve, the waist of the pants was made bigger with the same material, so I think this is a post-war addition.

Adam

post-101-1168572958.jpg