Japanese War Crimes Patches

zotig111

Can anyone help with some info on the Japanese War Crimes patch? I can't seem to find an anwer in any of my reference books.

I have seen quite a few "Philippine-made" variants lately. I realize that the patch was locally made during the trial period in the PI and that 99.9% of the ones I have seen lately are modern repros.

I did see a cotton version of this patch and started wondering if The Patch King made the Japanese War Crimes patch in cotton? The patch I saw is the same construction as US mass produced unit patches and is similar to the machine embroidered Patch King Nuremburg Trials I have.

I have only seen one cotton ME Japanese War Crimes patch and need some help. The dealer offering this for sale has never disappointed me in the past so I am ready to think that Patch King did make these patches as well.

HELP!!!

Thank you in advance,

Tom

Tom, what do you mean with "Japanese War Crimes patch"? Do you refer to the so called "Japan Military Trials Staff" patch or to the "Sugamo Prison" patches?

Lars

vintageproductions

The patch you are referring to is actually a Philippine Military Police unit patch. They were involved with the Manila trials. All the US made ones were made for collectors by Patch King or Hobby Guild.

Airborne-Hunter

Talk about ironic....I just talked to a patch guy about these this morning. The fully embroidered ones are patch king pieces. The Philippine made ones, are on a very thin twill and made in a specific manner. They may look odd, but they are real. Another person that would be really great to talk to Dave / tredhed2 on the forum here. He knows his stuff and is a great guy too! :thumbsup:

Tom, what do you mean with "Japanese War Crimes patch"? Do you refer to the so called "Japan Military Trials Staff" patch or to the "Sugamo Prison" patches?

Lars

The Japan Military Trials...

Photos attached.

post-8230-1264366427.jpg

vintageproductions

Here is the true WWII era patch. It is Philippine machine embroidered on a stiff linen / muslin material. The one shown above is the one made for collectors.

warcrm.JPG

This patch isn't listed in any 1940's Hobby Guild/Patch King catalogue that I have. And, I have never obtained one in a 1940's era collection (the typical 1940's type of collection loaded with Patch King patches). I believe the U.S. made version was "created" well after the 1940's. Over the years, a lot of collectors have been duped into paying way too much money for these.

Kurt

Here is the true WWII era patch. It is Philippine machine embroidered on a stiff linen / muslin material. The one shown above is the one made for collectors.

post-492-1264372680.jpg

Right on, Bob. Collectors should also remember that there were fully embroidered Philippine-made "War Crimes Trial" patches as well. From what I (and others) can find out thus far, the patches with this design were for a Philippine Army MP unit, but that there were a few U.S. military either attached to the Philippine unit or acted as advisors. Therefore, these patches (the Philippine-made versions) were worn by a few U.S. folks.

And to confirm what KurtA has posted, I cannot recall this patch design ever being offered by either the Patch King or any of the other post-war insignia collector clubs. Perhaps my memory is faulty, but if anyone has a copy of this patch for sale, please post it.

Patch Johnson

The patch you are referring to is actually a Philippine Military Police unit patch. They were involved with the Manila trials. All the US made ones were made for collectors by Patch King or Hobby Guild.

I have been working on an article about this subject, for more than a year, to be published in The Trading Post upon completion.

• 1 year later...

This is on EB right now for over $200. I don't know enough about bullion patches but I thought the ones with the beaded trim are Paki fakes.

Chris

post-17690-1325111110.jpg

post-17690-1325111139.jpg

Proceed with care with these Japanese "War Trials" type patches as they have been widely faked. As I understand it, the majority of originals were hand embriodered in the Philippines. You are also right to be wary of Paki-style bullion work. They've done a lot to undermine the genuine bullion market.

This is on EB right now for over $200. I don't know enough about bullion patches but I thought the ones with the beaded trim are Paki fakes.

Chris

I've merged your post into an older thread that deals with these types of patches.

I have been working on an article about this subject, for more than a year, to be published in The Trading Post upon completion.

JWCT SSI "Have another look" article is complete and is in circulation in the current Trading Post (Oct-Dec 2011). Before spending piles of money on any of the patches original or not you should really read Dave's comprehensive article on the subject. It's an eye opener and for those that had already spent big bucks on them it's going to be a real knee jerk reaction. Aloha

One from my collection.....

post-8213-1325224903.jpg

All,

Here is a Philippine-made, all-embroidered version of the patch in question. After Dave Kaufman's article I vowed never to call the patch a "JWCT" again.

Patch Johnson

post-640-1325229556.jpg

vintageproductions

every tailor did them slightly different.

I also have a raw silk, hand embroidered one, with snaps on the back.

• 5 years later...
Patchcollector

Regardless of whether they are American or Filipino unit pieces the fact is that these were worn by US Soldiers during postwar War Crimes Trials held in the P.I,so IMO these are,and always will be to me,Japanese War Crimes Trial patches.