Jet Pilot's Survival Knife

Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Dated Jan 1967 which is when they moved the markings to the hex pommel and added date of mfg. This example is basically new condition with original Norton sharpening stone and shows no use. Has contract and nomenclature inkstamped on back side of sheath.

Greg

post-4-1182448063.jpg

Greg Robinson
That's a real Beauty. Did they use that one in Viet Nam?

Nick

Yep....aviators wore those on their survival vests. Also, ground troops sometimes picked those up as it was a great utility knife for field use. And Camillus also made a chrome plated version in the '60's that was sold in the PX's.

• 2 weeks later...
Bank Vault

were all of them dated? I bought a well used one with some bluish white navy type paint on the back of it. No stone though. But for this and a M7 bayonet at 25 bucks who can blame me?.

post-1216-1183532845.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Spathologist

These were supposedly popular among SF troops in the Vietnam era, but for the life of me I can't imagine why.

These are still issued to aircrew, and I despise them. They don't hold an edge for more than a couple of uses, and the saw back is a pretty good cheese grater...if the cheese is soft....

It's the first thing I remove from my vest when I get to a new unit.

Greg Robinson

I own a 1968 dated pilot's knife that's chrome plated. Camillus made these for commercial sale and they could be purchased in the PX. I found it years ago in a pawn shop and while I was buying it the shop owner made the comment that it had belonged to a Navy SEAL. No reason for him to lie since I was already buying the knife and it didn't cost much. Who knows? Those were well thought of by some servicemen.....and apparently not so well thought of by others.