M1942 Naval Cutlass

paratrpr

It is not my field of expertise but that seems to me to be a Dutch police klewang No2 from the 1920-1950 period. The scabbard seems to be a Dutch East Indies Army model. The original Dutch police scabbard was different. The words could be Dutch words, but are incomplete. I would need to see a close up to see if I could read them, or make some sense of them.

Best,

Kilian

It could be the garbled words should read Nederlands Wapenmagazijn, which translates as Netherlands Armoury. They were a manufacturer/dealer with shops in Haarlem, Amsterdam and The Hague in the 1900-1950 timeframe and their catalogue included police outfits.

Kilian

Thannks very much for the response Kilian,

In the sunlight I can make out Warenm in a scroll. So logic suggests Nederlands Wapenmagazijn is correct.

On the scabbard is the following, set out in the pattern below

C W

N

1 42

Z

Again thank you.

Tony

I believe these markings indicate the scabbard was made in the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia) in January 1942. Holland itself was under German occupation since May 1940. From 1808, the Dutch had a weapons manufacturing facility in Surabaja, called Artillerie Constructie Winkel, which after Indonesian independence became Pindad, around 1950. I believe this is where the scabbard was made.

• 1 year later...
1SG_1st_Cav

I've read everything above and it is fascinating. I've posted my M1917 US Navy Boarding Cutlass for sale here on the Forum. Thanks for the information. The grips are wooden with black lacquer jappaning that is about 98% complete. Danny

post-1691-0-73900300-1395183021.jpg

1SG_1st_Cav

Here is the engraving on the on the full basket with the sailors name, serial number, USNR, and the beautiful

crossed-cannons.

post-1691-0-36155100-1395183265.jpg

1SG_1st_Cav

The leather scabbard is in excellent condition and the original leather frog is in very good condition considering its age.

post-1691-0-19124600-1395183389.jpg