M1937 "BLACKINTON" BARRACKS COVER

GLM

teufelhunde.ret

Hey Gary, thats a great find. A seldom seen hallmarked variety. Have you ever seen a dress cover emblem? Were there any matching collar emblems produced?

jeremiahcable

I think it's of note that the fouling of the rope is the pre-WW2 style and not the post war with more wraps. Nice EGA Gary.

Jeremiah

What I can tell you about this emblem is it has the identical design pattern of the M1937 Hillborn & Hamburger, Hillborn & Hamburger-Imperial emblems of the same period. It would seem that Blackinton borrowed stamping dies from the Hillborn & Hamburger firm during WWII. The only differences would be the finish with the Blackinton having a black finish and the H&H types done in sterling during WWII having the standard grayish-green finish so common to that firm. I haven't seen service collar emblems or dress emblems made by Blackinton, but my honest guess is if they exist, they would be identical or similar to H&H or H&H-Imperial collar and dress emblems. An interesting note here. When I acquired this emblem fifteen years ago, I didn't bother to turn it over and look for a hallmark because I was certain it was made by H&H. I'm sure Blackinton collar and dress emblems, if they exist, will be found in much the same manner.

An interesting point Jeremiah brings up with the pre-1937 "looped" versus post-1937 "fouled" rope. It would appear that Blackinton followed the H&H design exactly, with no variation to the rope fouling . H&H and H&H-Imperial emblems of this pattern also have the "looped" rope, even though they were made well into WWII.

Gary