4 replies to this topic

#1 GLM *Deceased*

GLM *Deceased*

DECEASED

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 84
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:17 PM

Officer's M1937 Barracks Cover. Marked STERLING BY BLACKINTON only.

Attached Images

• Blackinton_hlmk_02.jpg
  • Blackinton_fr.jpg
  • Blackinton_rev.jpg
  • Blackinton_hlmk_01.jpg

#2 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,533 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:50 AM

Hey Gary, thats a great find. A seldom seen hallmarked variety. Have you ever seen a dress cover emblem? Were there any matching collar emblems produced?

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:16 PM

I think it's of note that the fouling of the rope is the pre-WW2 style and not the post war with more wraps. Nice EGA Gary.

Jeremiah

#4 GLM *Deceased*

GLM *Deceased*

DECEASED

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 84
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:51 PM

What I can tell you about this emblem is it has the identical design pattern of the M1937 Hillborn & Hamburger, Hillborn & Hamburger-Imperial emblems of the same period. It would seem that Blackinton borrowed stamping dies from the Hillborn & Hamburger firm during WWII. The only differences would be the finish with the Blackinton having a black finish and the H&H types done in sterling during WWII having the standard grayish-green finish so common to that firm. I haven't seen service collar emblems or dress emblems made by Blackinton, but my honest guess is if they exist, they would be identical or similar to H&H or H&H-Imperial collar and dress emblems. An interesting note here. When I acquired this emblem fifteen years ago, I didn't bother to turn it over and look for a hallmark because I was certain it was made by H&H. I'm sure Blackinton collar and dress emblems, if they exist, will be found in much the same manner.

An interesting point Jeremiah brings up with the pre-1937 "looped" versus post-1937 "fouled" rope. It would appear that Blackinton followed the H&H design exactly, with no variation to the rope fouling . H&H and H&H-Imperial emblems of this pattern also have the "looped" rope, even though they were made well into WWII.

Gary

#5 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,533 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 12:27 PM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the EGA "reference section". This area is were posts from the EGA "discussion section" are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the "EGA discussion area" which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users