Yard Sale Find..Whoa!

CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

I passed a yard sale today and didn't stop thinking "its the usual crap." My father stopped however, on his way home from work and picked this scrapbook up dirt cheap.

It belonged to Marine PFC Frederick B. Quigg of Philadelphia. He was a runner for an assault rifle platoon. On one attack on Iwo Jima, his squad leader was killed and he took over, reorganized, and successfully finished the attack. He was awarded the Bronze Star for this. He also Served in Saipan, Tinian, and the Marshall Islands, received a purple heart, and 2 Presidential Unit Citations.

Most of the book is newspaper clippings pertaining to Iwo Jima and the battle, although there are several articles pertaining to Quigg's bronze star award. Also insluded was a photo studio portrait photo of him in His class A uniform, and 2 childhood portrait photos.

I do not collect USMC items, so I will be selling this soon so someone can appreciate it in their collection. Is it worth it to list on ebay? Or would there be little interest?

Thanks!

Justin

aa112.jpg

aa113.jpg

aa114.jpg

aa116.jpg

aa117.jpg

aa118.jpg

aa119.jpg

I would expect that to sell for $100-200 on ebay and because it is from a Marine cited for action on Iwo, it could go even higher, much higher.

I also noticed the signature of General Clifton Bledsoe Cates on that 4th Marines commendation. He went on to become the 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps and a field commander in the Pacific war.

CNY Militaria

Interesting! I thought the price would go nowhere near that high. I guess the ebay bidders will decide its true value though! Thanks!

Justin

CNY Militaria
I also noticed the signature of General Clifton Bledsoe Cates on that 4th Marines commendation. He went on to become the 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps and a field commander in the Pacific war.

Thanks for the info. I don't know if its his real signature or an autopen, but its a great citation!

Justin

CNY Militaria
Wish I could afford that puppy.... :(

Well, it will be going on ebay at a 9.99 starting bid, so anything is possible! thumbsup.gif

CNY Militaria

Will do Brig! I am looking forward to watching how this will fare on ebay. Its just a shame it wasn't an Army/AAF item, otherwise I would be keeping it, :).

Justin

CNY Militaria

I went back to the sale and tried to get more info on this marine, but he apparently got it at another sale himself. Interestingly, the father of this marine was from my hometown, Oswego, NY. Probably the reason the bood ended up back here.

Justin

Is it worth it to list on ebay? Or would there be little interest?

It's at $172.50 with eight hours of bidding to go..... seems like there was some interest :) I can see this going to $300+ because there are already three bidders willing to go more than $150 (if you're wlling to pay $150 for something like this, another 150 is not a big deal) and there are always the REAL serious bidders lurking and ready to jump in at the last moment and plop down three or four hundred because they just gotta have it.

One of our forum members has a scrapbook for sale now on in the FOR SALE section with "pictures from WWI, WWII, and what looks to be early to mid-50s." He wants $50 for it and from what I have seen of late with wartime photo collections, that's an extreme bargain.

CNY Militaria

I was surprised to see the price when I got up this morning. I am guessing there will be snipers, based on the very high number of watchers. Tonight will be interesting to see!

CNY Militaria

Yes, I rather enjoyed the show at the end!

Was it a member of this forum that won?

I would expect that to sell for $100-200 on ebay and because it is from a Marine cited for action on Iwo, it could go even higher, much higher.

Well it went higher than $200, although not "much higher" but I'll still give myself a pat on the back for that appraisal :rolleyes: