• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WS60

WS60
  • Members
    • Member ID: 828
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:36 PM

I got interesting book "American Firearms" an history of American gunsmith, published in 1947. 300 pages, listed all American firearms manufacturers.

Attached Images

• scan0006.jpg

#2 WS60

WS60
  • Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

Attached Images

• scan0005.jpg
  • scan0004.jpg

#3 siege1863

siege1863
  • Members
    • Member ID: 211
  • 2,112 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:30 PM

This may be the publication that names one of my ancestors. Do you see a listing for a Devarney or DeVarney from Vermont or elsewhere?

Thanks.

#4 Blair217

Blair217
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,260
  • 715 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:27 PM

This may be the publication that names one of my ancestors. Do you see a listing for a Devarney or DeVarney from Vermont or elsewhere?

Thanks.

Do you know aprox.period the person worked in?

#5 WS60

WS60
  • Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:03 PM

Thanks.

DeVane John, around 1776 and DeVane James, retired 1832, both from NC

#6 copdoc

copdoc
  • Members
    • Member ID: 498
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:32 AM

WS60 Looks like a great reference. Do you mind looking to see if you see a name similar to this one? I can not make it out but look like "Mion".
Thanks is advance. The rifle is about 32 caliber and has a false muzzle.

Would appreciate any comment suggestions. Will try to get better pics of engraving if it helps.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 WS60

WS60
  • Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

Very difficult to read last name, but for me capitol letter look like "G M". There is the list of names with both letters.

G.Morse
George Massa
George Mayer
G. Miller
George Miner
George Moor

Dots on metal doesn't look for me as ends of letter " i ". If you can check sign with infrared light, I think, it's be helpful.
If you wish to know more about any of these names, just ask for more info.

#8 copdoc

copdoc
  • Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:48 PM

Very difficult to read last name, but for me capitol letter look like "G M". There is the list of names with both letters.

G.Morse
George Massa
George Mayer
G. Miller
George Miner
George Moor

Dots on metal doesn't look for me as ends of letter " i ". If you can check sign with infrared light, I think, it's be helpful.
If you wish to know more about any of these names, just ask for more info.

Many Thanks

Some dots appear to be a decoration. I have never used IR on metal but will ask a documents examiner. I have restored die stamped impressions (serial numbers) on guns but it is rough on the finish and will leave a raised image which wears off quickly and ruins any collector value.

Are any of the names from Old Salem in NC? G Minor appears to be the closest. I have a few books but could not find anything. I also was not sure what the first letter was so knowing it is a "G" will be a big help. I was not sure what it was.

The other gun the gentleman gave me was a German winder musket. Not US but old enough to be used in the Revolutionary War. Will get some pics of it if anyone interested and mods think it is not too much off topic.

#9 WS60

WS60
  • Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:34 AM

Are any of the names from Old Salem in NC? G Minor appears to be the closest. I have a few books but could not find anything. I also was not sure what the first letter was so knowing it is a "G" will be a big help. I was not sure what it was.

G. Minor from Syracuse NY

#10 copdoc

copdoc
  • Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:07 AM

G. Minor from Syracuse NY

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users