Gilt EGA Collar Discs

Schnicklfritz

teufelhunde.ret

Hi folks, managed to get this off my old computer (before it crashed) and ready to post here. Another of the wacky group of reunion or "fantasy discs", as I like to call them.

If I can find someone crying.gif to get my old computer up, will post other disc photos of similar nature.

Gary / Jeremiah... we will need to figure out someday how to carve this post up. In collar disc reference or fakes and counterfeits reference?

reunion_dics.JPG

Darrell,

Our old PC was always crashing, so I got wise and started storing my EGA reference material on a 100 meg floppy disc. Who was to know that the floppies can also go bad to the point you can't retrieve data! I imagine I lost a good 30 megs of eBay auction information when transferring to our new PC. Maybe we need to copy our irreplaceable information with pencil and paper. :D

Are these discs from an eBay auction? They look familiar and are of a pattern that show up regularly on eBay.

s/f, Gary

jeremiahcable

Wow, see what happens when you get Gary going......he types the Old Testament style explainantions! Seriously though, this thread has been a great learning tool for me on this subject. I knew how to recognize the "Army-Navy Store" types thanks to Gary and Robert E but the issue and reunion pieces are new to me. I am surprised that neither Gray or Darrell noted the mid to late '20s pattern rollers on the reunion disks. Those remind me of some I've seen on Meyer and other non-issue EGAs from the time frame those disks are suspected as being from.

S/F,

Jeremiah

Jeremiah,

Get me going? Man, we haven't even got past the begats yet when discussing these!

I think the pattern the three of us discussed was the "issue" type you spotted on eBay, not the Army-Navy Store" type? I saved the photo for future reference after Robert gave the thumbsup.gif on it.

I did notice the rollers on the "reunion" discs and because they are the same type found on WWI and post-WWI Army discs as well as 1930's EGA's, I didn't know if they were out of the norm or not? Good question for Chris, though?

Gary

BTW - Did you win this one?

post-84-1182830446.jpg

post-84-1182830464.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Your right, I did not observe that. Perhaps because I am (all of us?) accustomed to seeing mixed up rollers on emblems, so frequently. On the other hand - putting the correct rollers on faked discs is just as dis-concerning pinch.gif

Idea wink2.gif ... would you consider starting a post we can eventually move to the reference section depicting these rollers w/ correct period / emblems ?

BTW, I share your sediments, the info - knowledge that has been shared in this post alone, exceeded my limited knowledge of these emblems. And thanks to all who have participated.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I've never paid any attention to these numbered WWI era collar disks (ebay item #140242361081). I've aquired quite a few original uniform lots over the last 35+ years, and have never seen a pair of these on a uniform. I've probably answered my own question, but, I'd like to get your input. Are they good or bad? Thanks to all who take the time to respond.

S/F,

Chuck

Leatherneck72

IMHO I think all the ones with numbers are bad. I would like to hear what my brother thinks...but I can almost guess what he will say. I have never got one in a footlocker group, I don't see them in photos, and all the real uniforms in I have seen in the last 20 years have never had a set on them.

I don't believe these are 1918-1919 vintage but they do look to be French-made type insignia mainly based on the pinback & catch. The "3" numeral makes little or no sense. There was no 3rd Company in the 4th or 5th Brigades. If it is supposed to represent the 3rd Brigade, which was stationed in Galveston, Texas during the war then it makes some "Reunion" sense. If these were made to deceive within the last 25 years, we may never know. Like Brian, i have never seen or heard of an AEF Marine with numbered collar disks. So as always, 'Caveat Emptor' !

Semper Fi....Bobgee

• 2 weeks later...
I don't believe these are 1918-1919 vintage but they do look to be French-made type insignia mainly based on the pinback & catch. The "3" numeral makes little or no sense. There was no 3rd Company in the 4th or 5th Brigades. If it is supposed to represent the 3rd Brigade, which was stationed in Galveston, Texas during the war then it makes some "Reunion" sense. If these were made to deceive within the last 25 years, we may never know. Like Brian, i have never seen or heard of an AEF Marine with numbered collar disks. So as always, 'Caveat Emptor' !

Semper Fi....Bobgee

Hey Bob,

Perhaps the "3" numeral on these discs represents service with the 3rd Composite Regiment which served as Pershing's Honor Guard. Clifton B. Cates was the CO of the Marine detachment.

Frank