Dogs and the Military

gunbarrel

Hey All,

Updating my wardog information to go along with some of the pieces I have. Looking to see if anyone has come across information/pictures of the following:

• Team 1 - USMC - Dog breed Dobberman (per newspaper article on Iwo) name – "Hans" per newspaper article on Iwo dated 5 march) – handler Corporal George P. Goderre – Served Guam (per silver star) & Iwo Jima (per newspaper dated 5 march) - fates unknown

• Team 2 – Branch unknown – Dog breed believe to be German Shepard) – Handler Fritz Regelmann (maybe misspelled) Served at location unknown- Fate KIA Collar sent home notifying of KIA with memorial collar and plate tag engraved “ Duke” Von Altweid 43 Betsy Williams Drive Cranston. R.I. Fate of Handler or any other information unknown. (Was this a standard practice sending collars with names engraved back to families?)I can post a picture of this later.

Thanks for any assistance everyone!

great thread!!!

-Peg6

Is it just me or did those two 'Nam pup shots make any of you stop and stare at them for a moment?

There's just something about the looks on the men's faces.

As a former soldier myself, I wonder who to feel the most pity for; the men or the pooches?

• 1 month later...

This comic strip appeared in the Tulsa World today (Memorial Day). Some of you may have seen it, but I am posting it for people who do not get Red & Rover in their local newspaper.

Paul

post-2319-0-03622400-1527428863_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

This could go into the Book Report section or in this section.

I just finished reading "The Dog Who Could Fly" by Damien Lewis (Atria Paperback, 2015). The book is illustrated with a few B&W photos. It is about a Czech gunner flying with the French Air Force who was shot down in 1939 over the German front line. He and the French pilot escape and he rescues a German Shepard puppy and takes it back to France. When the French surrender he joins the RAF as a gunner and takes the puppy with him on flights over enemy terretory. The book covers his many assignments in the RAF and how he and the dog get along. Both survive the War and the dog lives until 1953 and dies of old age at 14.

There is obviously a story there. After-all the dog was awarded the Dickin Medal (the animal equivalent of the Victoria Cross) by the British. But the story was ruined (for me) by the presentation the author chose. It could have been a very interesting book except that the dog is portrayed as a "Super dog". He can detect German aircraft coming to bomb their home base even before radar can detect them, he can warn his master of bombs coming down, he can track his master through busy city streets totally by scent, he can run down a train to catch up with his master, etc. Also the author tells you what the dog is thinking about all the time (as if he knows).

Paul

post-2319-0-33876200-1538840140_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...
General Apathy

War Dogs . . . . . . . . . . .

this is a children's book that has been handed down in my family since WWII, I believe it to be a fictitious story, printed during WWII. The storyline is of the dog flying in the aircraft with his owner Squadron-Leader Leeson and crash landing in German occupied Holland and helping the Squadron-Leader escape capture and safely back to Britain.

lewis.

. post-344-0-13262600-1569186486_thumb.jpeg

• 2 months later...
General Apathy

I'll start with the one that prompted this topic.

Hi GB, this has become a pretty diverse thread covering all periods of dogs used in the military, I just spotted this documentary about dogs used in Viet-Nam so I thought it might fit in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewwu4nVGu-8

regards lewis.

• 7 months later...

A couple of the Air Force dogs (and their handlers) who were working the gate with us. The kennel master let us do some training with them which was pretty fun, and educational.

DSCF0570.jpg

DSCF0604.JPG

• 8 months later...

Bivouac troops 140th TDTB San Antonio, TX. 10-20-1944. Have had this photo for many years and was looking at it closely yesterday and what did I find... yep dog on the hood of a jeep.

20210426_153932.jpg

• 7 months later...

1955 U.S. Army ~ Scout Dog Platoon.  Discipline in scout work is strict for both men and dogs.  Lieutenant Howard Pettit take precaution that his own dog, “Junior”, does not display too much affection becoming what he terms “a lap dog.” 

C5C6FCC1-BE2E-41A6-83AB-C1C3FC7ED8BB.jpeg

2FC8EE46-E928-40F9-8449-BF69B0822C96.jpeg

U. S. Army 1st Cavalry Division Qui Nhon (Operation Irving) South Vietnam 1966 ~ Three frightened looking women huddle together as they are guarded by a G.I. and his Scout Dog as they sweep thru a village.

3D4C875E-B1CD-4238-8E91-2F64710AAF14.jpeg

03834CF1-8831-4F31-AF9C-2CC46EC2B947.jpeg

NOT LICKING HIS WOUNDS Vietnam 1968 ~ “USMC Scout Dog stayed with his wounded U.S. Marine master when the Marine was evacuated by helicopter after an assault on South Vietnamese Hill 471 outside the Khe Sanh combat zone.” AB47D373-DED8-4826-8944-5AF859868268.jpeg.ee9456c4557df8635839df84da775c57.jpegB1A7B68E-4426-487B-BFDF-D9202CCA5119.jpeg.497ee5cba19b487b6dc8ad8c32c8b4a7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
General Apathy
On 12/30/2021 at 2:47 AM, kyhistorian01 said:

A recent find that I thought I would never come across. War Dog Manual 1943

IMG_20211229_194717989.jpg

Hi kyhistorian,

Neat find on the war-dogs manual,  found these two images in a WWII magazine last night.

.fullsizeoutput_fc67.jpeg.84e90525e028e05cf9a4b2e6ddfa10ba.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_fc66.jpeg.45af28376ac5401a23134d5981e48675.jpeg

regards lewis.