WWI Large photo of Batt. F 105th F.A. (27th Div)

Jeffrey Magut

Jeffrey Magut

I recently picked up a large photo of Battery F 105th Field Artillery at Debarkation in NJ in March, 1919. The details on the uniforms are great. One thing I noted was on an officer who has his helmet on his lap. The 27th Division insignia is visible. As the troops are just off the ship, this helps date when the 27th started painting their divisional insignia on their helmets. It must have been prior to 3/13/19, either onboard the U.S.S. America, or while still in France.

post-121-1263753844.jpg

Jeffrey Magut

Note also the souvenir hunters. One sgt. has a German gasmask can, and some happy fellow has a German helmet in hand.

post-121-1263753975.jpg

post-121-1263753997.jpg

Good find. I've been digging through pics trying to establish the date and the "starless" theory- that the helmets with insignia without stars were painted in country. Really hard to see stars or not.

These guys needed cameras with more megapixels!

Thanks for the post.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's a nice drawing from the "Home Again" edition of the 27th's magazine- The Gas Attack. It depicts the Division's artillery brigade meeting up with the Infantry brigades in France (the Artillery Brigades were detached for the tour). It clearly shows insignia not just on the helmets, but as SSI as well! Of course, there is artistic license to be considered. But I do like the image, with all the great souvenirs.

Haven't been able to find much on exactly when they started painting the helmets. I've done a lot of reading journals and memoirs, nothing is mentioned. I'll keep looking.

IMG_0023.jpg

That's a great photo, and a wonderful drawing of the souvenir hunters. I guess we soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines have always been seeking souvenirs....

Pete

• 4 years later...