WIA Paramarine Grouping

mes

Here is grouping to paramarine Charles Wolfe Jr who was wounded on Guvutu part of the Guadalcanal operation with C/1 and fought on Bougainville.When the paramarines were disbanded he went into the 5th marine division 26th reg. where he fought on Iwo Jima and was again wounded. The group has quite abit of orignal paperwork to it as well these items.

100_0905.jpg

100_0907.jpg

100_0921.jpg

100_0923.jpg

100_0920.jpg

100_0917.jpg

100_0925.jpg

100_0911.jpg

jeremiahcable

Very, very nice. A set like that is the center of most folks' USMC collections. Thanks for sharing his things with us. Out of curiosity, does the lining of the blouse show where he might have worn it while a PM and had the PM patch sewn on instead of the 5th MarDiv one?

Kurt Barickman

Hey, I think I remember this set on Ebay awhile back. Looks like you made connection with the family on the other items. :thumbsup:

Good for you.

Kurt

• 3 weeks later...
1straidergson

Hi:

Just a quick note concerning your grouping. I have one short question concerning the roster. If you notice, there is a name Daniels 299275 underlined. As you know Marine Corps serials numbers were given out concectutive upon a recruits entry to boot camp. Well my grandfathers serial number was 299276 and he was an original member of the 1st Raider Battalion. What was this Daniels first name? Seems interesting and it isnt every day you find the name of the man standing infront of your grandfather in 1940s Parris Island line. If you ever decide to move the group drop me a line

Hi 1straidergson That would be Oscar Daniels C/1. I'll bet your grandfather has some stories to tell. Was he at Guadalcanal on Edison's ridge? Mark

1straidergson

Mark:

Hi thank you for the response. My grandfather participated in the campaigns of Tulagi, Guadalcanal, Florida Island, New Georgia and Emiru with the 1st Raider Battalion. After rotating back to the states following the disbandment of the Raider Bns he was in a replacement draft sent to the 21st Marines and made Iwo Jima. Following Iwo he was sent to the 9th Marines under the command of an old Raider commander Col. Samuel Griffith. To answer your question, my grandfather was in the battle of Edson's Ridge. He was a squad leader in 3rd Platoon B Co. He was under the command of my late mentor Col. John Sweeney who was awarded a Navy Cross for the high light of the battle. If you do not know the main Japanese assault came on Sept, 14. This element smashed into B Co, 3rd Platoon. Obviously there was limited mobility for the Raiders and their left flank was obandoned by the adjacent Pararmarines. The Raiders claim that the Paramarines fleed their positions and ran. Although the entire ridge was overwhelmed by Japs, a small HQ element , five or so men, lead by Sgt Jim Smith came to reienforce B co that was on the verge of being overrun. At this time Capt. Sweeney called in artillery nearly on his lines. This action won Capt Sweeney the Navy Cross. Jim Smith and his Marines, many whom I have met were given Silver Stars. If you have interest in Raider activities on Guadalcanal, I recommend reviewing the operation at Tasimboko, where my grandfather took out the artillery peice firing into Raider lines. It was a classic Raider operation. Unfortunatley I never had an opportunity to speak with my grandfather on these actions. He died when I was 4 and I am now 28. He dischanged in 1947 as a 1st Sgt. He was given a battlefield commission on Guadalcanal, but did not accept. I learned of his experiences long after his death and it always inspired me to become a Marine, which I did and served two combat tours in Iraq. I still have the privledge to speaking with the few Raiders who particiapted in these actions. I am a life member of the United States Marine Raider Association and annaually attend their reunions when possible. Many of these men were great Americans, mentors and adopted grandfathers. Each year the memorial service gets longer but I can always cherish my times with them. I am a collector of Raider and Marine items and always looking for new things. Thanks so much Great group

1straidergson

Mark another intesting fact. If you review the name below Wolfes on the roster you will see a Jesse Youngdeer. He was a Cherokee Indian from North Carolina. His grandfather was a part of the Cherokee Braves for the Confederacy during the Civil War. However, the neatest fact is, his brother Robert Youngdeer was a member of the 1st Raider Bn. Robert Youngdeer was shot the night of Sept 13. The bullet entered his cheek exiting behind his ear. He survived and is alive and doing well today. His brother Jesse was shot in the cheek exiting behind his ear Sept 14. I always thought was crazy that two brothers in the same battle were wounded only one night apart in the same spot. Robert was chief of the Eastern Cherokee tribe and a avid participate to the reunions throughout the years. Though you would find it interesting.

1st Raidergson Thank you for your service! Amazing history your grandfather was a true hero. What was your grandfather's name? I love to see your collection. I read everything on raiders and paramarines I can get hold of. The Raiders were a great outfit with none better. But I think there were alot of brave paramarines as well.To quote from George Smith book"The do or die men" The paramarines who barely survived fierce battle on Guvutu -Tanambogo and then stood shoulder to shoulder with the raiders on the ridge." There were an awful lot of marine paratrooper boots under those tarps. Thanks for your reply we'll have to talk more. Mark

Also interesting to me about that list is the first name Harold Hoeschen, whose grouping I own and was in the book Paramarine! who has the same Lakehurst group photo. Another name is Kenneth Parker, who is also a Native American whose PH, document and some great photos, are also in the book.

Camopara Those are great groupings and a fantastic book.I have alot of the paramarine lists from different sevice records they really interesting to read and find familiar names.It is like reading a whoses whos of paramarines. Love to see some more of your great groups. Mark

Kurt Barickman

It would be a cool thread, dueling Paramarine groups; Leif and Mark :thumbsup: Coming to a theater near you soon. Let it rip guys!

Kurt