POGS- ANY ONE COLLECT THEM?

BEAST

I have started seeing pogs (paper "coins" used in OIF-OEF) showing up at military shows. Does anyone here collect them? How many variations are there?

Also, does anyone collect military currency? Do we have enough out there for a reference thread?

the POGs have so many variations I'm sure there's no count. they're used by AAFES instead of coin chance at their PXes (you still get paper bills back, USDs). in the last two years they've been made of cardbboard, prior to that it was a flimsy plastic. these have actually become quite popular and I hear they sell on eBay for a few bucks a pop. not bad, considering they're only worth 5, 10, or 25 cents in Iraq. you don't get pennies back over there, but you don't pay tax either, so it works out

the POGs have so many variations I'm sure there's no count. they're used by AAFES instead of coin chance at their PXes (you still get paper bills back, USDs). in the last two years they've been made of cardbboard, prior to that it was a flimsy plastic. these have actually become quite popular and I hear they sell on eBay for a few bucks a pop. not bad, considering they're only worth 5, 10, or 25 cents in Iraq. you don't get pennies back over there, but you don't pay tax either, so it works out

Brig, I have heard some folks refer to them as the first or second series. Do you know if there are any markings on them indicating date or series of issue. I have mine somewhere around here, but don't remember where I put them (not planning on needing them again!). However, some of the collector's that I have run into have piqued my interest.

I have a dozen or so given to my by friends who have come back in the last few years. They are the modern day equivalent of the old Military Payment Certificates that were used in previous conflicts.

There are actually a couple of AAFES POG's site showing the 10 different series released by AAFES so far:

http://www.aafes-pogs.com/

http://www.aafespogs.com/

I have a dozen or so given to my by friends who have come back in the last few years. They are the modern day equivalent of the old Military Payment Certificates that were used in previous conflicts.

There are actually a couple of AAFES POG's site showing the 7 different series released by AAFES so far:

http://www.aafes-pogs.com/

http://www.aafespogs.com/

Thanks for posting that link!

• 4 weeks later...

These can be redeemed at any PX/BX worldwide. I contacted the local PX a couple of weeks after this thread was first posted. I asked them if they get them in and what they do with them. They told me they get a few each week and at the end of each day what ever they get is accounted for and cut up. I asked them if they could hold them and sell them back to me. Got my first call Tue...they are holding 35 cents worth of Pogs for me :lol: Kevin

• 2 months later...

I've started to collect these AAFES Pogs and have accumulated quite a few duplicates. I'm looking for someone to trade thee POGs with. Does anyone else collect them? Kevin

• 3 months later...

I have a fair amount of them and am also looking to trade for a few I still need. let me know what you have duplicate. I am in theater now by the way.

I've started to collect these AAFES Pogs and have accumulated quite a few duplicates. I'm looking for someone to trade thee POGs with. Does anyone else collect them? Kevin

• 11 months later...
shane_l_mckinnon

I am a collector of pogs. I am looking for people who would like to trade. I also have MANY for sale if you know anyone interested.

I used to keep a water bottle with the top cut off on top my dresser with these things. I remember the poster on the wall in the balad AAFES PX that talked about collecting POGS. I remember thinking what a marketing ploy this was, get people to collect them and literally, ever one someone collects, AAFES just permanently made that amount in profit for AAFES, as it takes that promisary not out of circulation.

• 2 months later...
shane-mckinnnon

I'm looking for all people looking to trade pogs. I'm currently in Afghanistan, and trying to create at least one complete set. Please, contact me if you are interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone hates getting change back over here. Only a few guys actually want the damn things. I'll start picking some up myself.

Dent

I remember the PX on our FOB had a bucket to drop your pogs in for the Wounded Warrior Fund. worked out really well. we didn't want them, and the cause was good and legit

• 1 year later...

If anyone is currently collecting AAFES Pogs, I would love to trade or purchase. I need alot of the 2nd through 6th series. I am reset for deployment (Again) to Afghanistan in the spring of 11 and would be willing to send them to you from the source. I also have alot of dups from earlier series that I would be willing to trade. Please let me know.

• 1 year later...

My son want to start a collection of these so if any one has extras or know were to get some keep me in mind.

Thank you

David

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I am still working on 3 sets for my daughters. I have 1 complete set and 2 others that are close to complete. Take a look. Still Need some help !!!!

2nd Printing which was released in April 2003 > 2A5, C, D,J,K 2A10,B,C,D,E,F,G,J,K,L,M 2A25,C,D,E,H,J,K, 3rd Printing released Dec 2003 > 3E10,3L10 3A25,B,K,L,M 6th Printing released Feb 2005 6D10,6L10, 6M10w and W/O ... Can you help ???

I have several POGS for trade.

You can reach me at armysgti at the YAWHOO dot com

Thanks for the read ....

Army Strong

• 7 months later...

I am a collector of pogs. I am looking for people who would like to trade. I also have MANY for sale if you know anyone interested.

've been collecting pogs since 2006. 497 different pogs ... Care to trade ??? Let me know what you have or need. I have over 4800 spares .....
Tracy
Ps .. email is [email protected]