1st Cav Vet

S McKibben

Hi guys,I had the GREAT pleasure yesterday to meet and talk to a WW2 vet that was in the 1st Cav.His name is RL Clark.He told me some great stories and you could just see how proud he was when he talked about it.He was 1st Cav 7th Regt in recon.After talking awhile he told me he was wonded 2 times,once being shot in the chin breaking his jaw,and returned back to action in just 2 weeks.Wow what dedication.He was with 38 guys and only 3 of the original 38 returned home.He also told me he recieved the Silver Star but didnt talk about that because he said he was just doing his job.

I got a japanese pistol from him that he brought back.I have heard stories about the type 94 being a suicide pistol and most people just said it was a untrue story.Well he was telling me about this happening and seeing it for himself and that it was just not a rumor.So I guess I can put the rumor to truth atleast for myself,I am sure some people will just not believe so to each there own.

He said being in recon his best weapon was a piano wire.He traveled light only carrying a knife and a piano wire for most his missions.When not doing recon he was a 50cal jeep gunner.These were only a couple of his duties.One time when trying to flank the Japanese him and 2 other guys met up with 17 japanese.He told the guys to wait untill they got closer and then let them have it.He said next thing he knows they were near on top of them so opened fire with a thompson.He looked over his shoulder and the other 2 guys were running.He said he stood his ground and used almost every bit of ammo he had.As he turned around to get back to the lines he was shot in the chin breaking his jaw.He never knew he was shot he said he thought he was hit with a rock on the side of his head.When he made it back to the lines One of the guys told him the other 2 said he was overun and most likely dead.He never had bad feelings about anything that happened durring the war execpt that.

He said if he had to go thru the war again he would.It was a great experiance and something he is still proud of today,and you could tell by his 1st cav key ring and his 1st cav belt buckle.

He does not have his uniforms which that is a whole different story.I am in the process of finding him a Uniform jacket with the 1st Cav 7th Reg patches.If anyone could help I would be greatful.

I know he had 2 PH and a Silver Star but dont know the rest of his awards.If anyone can help me figure it out please do.

His Name is R.L.Clark #13136059 Was in 1943-46

When he comes back to town he said he would really like to talk more.I cant wait for that.

Shaun

• 3 weeks later...

Dagger addict,

Here is a page out of the book, "The 1st Cavalry Division in World War II". As you an see, the individual is listed as being in the HQ Troop, 8th Cav Reg. I looked in the book at what action took place on March 27th and not much was said except that "Those Japs who temporarily succeeded in avoiding death or capture retreated to Loniu Passage, a narrow strait which separates Los Negros from Manus. Patrols from the 8th Cavalry were waiting for them on the other shore." Hope this helps somewhat.

Plankowner

4308458409_cd7b4b33e4_o.jpg

Shaun... that is outstanding. I couple years ago I had the pleasure of talking with a 4th Marine Division veteran, whose account of the war was as animated as any could ever hope for. Wounded on two separate occasion by Japanese artillery fire....

Keep us posted!!

• 4 months later...

Got to talk with him again today.Sure was fun he is such a great guy.Here is a couple pics with him in uniform and with the Japanese pistol he brought back.I have the uniform and his pistol set up as a display in my shop.

post-5730-1277069425.jpg

post-5730-1277069438.jpg

Outstanding! Thanks for that.

Has Mr Clark mentioned anything about fighting in Manila? Also, was he originally in the horse cavalry?

• 7 months later...

My Condolences also to you and the Clark Family and to who was close to this Man at this hard Time of Sorrow May God Bless

Mr RL Clark and Protect him on his final Journey and may he Rest In Peace forever and may he never be forgotton

:salute: :salute: I salute you Sir.

Thanks for the update. I make it a point to shake every veterns hand and thank them for their service and giving me and my family the life we have today.

Rest in peace Cpl. Clark, "Gary Owen"! My dad was a member of the 7th Regiment, 1st Cav, while they were serving as occupation forces in Japan after the war. He was a cook. He continually talked about the Japanese civilians rummaging through the mess hall garbage to find something to eat, he felt so bad for them he often "liberated" stock out of the kitchen for the civilians. Because of his experiences, he was adamant that we never leave anything uneaten on a plate at meals. Even if he cooked the meal.

So, pretty much, the only casualties he would have inflicted would have been "friendly fire", because my dad could burn water. He cooked for us when mom would be in the hospital having children, so since that was kind of a yearly deal (we're Catholics) I learned at an early age to cook myself (in self defense).

Not to be a stickler, but Cpl. Clark's service uniform jacket would have been an "Ike" jacket, as that was what was issue wear for dad. When he passed, my 2 older brothers, and the next younger brother made sure they went through the house and "obtained" anything they wanted, and left me and my baby brother to deal with buying anything we wanted out of the home place at the auction they held to liquidate the estate. I hope they actually appreciate his military uniform and medals. None of them served in the military, out of 5 boys, I was the only one who followed his course into military service.