• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Devious6

Devious6
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,168
  • 647 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:30 PM

I posted a few pics from the seller of this revolver in the other .38 Victory thread. Today, she arrived in the mail. I stripped her down, cleaned her up and oiled her.

I am very pleased with her. From what I can tell, all the Sns match - including the right grip. She's got all the appropriate markings for a Lend Lease pre-Victory revolver - including the BNP proofs from when she left military service and was sold. There are no import markings. Here are some pics I took.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Can anyone identify this mark - another proof from leaving service or a unit marking?

Posted Image

#2 2ad82recon

2ad82recon

• Members
    • Member ID: 6
  • 916 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:35 PM

Good evening sir........Col that looks like a Birmingham Proof Marking.....in the UK...a BNP (Birmingham Nitro Proof) stamping will confirm this

Will check my Lend Lease Victory i beleive it has the same proof markings.

Charlie our Victory guru will surely confirm.

Kind regards

Lloyd

Edited by 2ad82recon, 02 January 2010 - 04:52 PM.

#3 Devious6

Devious6
  • Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:58 PM

Thanks, Lloyd! That makes sense then as there are numerous BNP under Crown proofs (frame, barrel and cylinder).

#4 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:33 PM

Hello Again, Devious:

This follows my reply to your post on the S&W site. With your updated serial number info from the Victory Model Database I can estimate for you that your pre-Victory shipped in the April, 1942 time frame. It should letter as having shipped to the Hartford Ordnance Depot.

You asked about the marking on the left frame just forward of the trigger guard. Again, that is a post-war British commercial marking, not military. It is what was known as a "view mark" which tells one when and where the civilian proof firing took place. In this case it is a Birmingham Proof House mark and was applied when the gun was proofed in 1957. Lloyd steered you right on that.

It is a nice serendipity that your revolver still carries the original serial numbered stocks. Many of these pre-Victory guns do not have that feature.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

#5 Devious6

Devious6
  • Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:01 AM

Thanks again Charlie! You are a wealth of information and I greatly appreciate your taking the time to help me learn about my revolver...and everything else you do for us all here and on the S&W forum.

Mark

#6 Devious6

Devious6
  • Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:39 AM

Gents,

Another question. While examining the revolver, I see what appears to be the letters VO stamped lightly on the left side of the frame above the trigger. Any idea what this might be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)