Rex G. Beecher Scout Sniper Tarawa Silver Star Winner

Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

This is a very special grouping to me as my number one interest in collecting is USMC Tarawa 2nd Division. I thank my lucky stars and as one fellow collector stated, my brother who was with Lima/3/5th Vietnam for somehow ending up with this one. Rex G. Beecher was a Michigan lad who had both his parents die within two years of each other and he and his three siblings were adopted by a very well placed MIchigan civil servant. He served with K-3-2 on Guadalcanal and Tulagi and wound with the famous Deane Hawkins Scout Sniper platoon in training in New Zealand and entered glory and fame on Tarawa. I will be posting images of this trunk group for quite awhile as there is so much to it. The 2nd Regiment was attached to the 1st Marine Divison on Guadalcanal and he ended up with the 1st Division again for Korea hence the 1st Mar. Div. tac marks on the trunk.

beech_resize_trunk_1.jpg

Kurt Barickman

This hat is a very elusive camouflage hat worn by documentation by 6th and 10th Marines on Saipan. This is the only documented one of these hats that I know of. I will evenutally be posting photos of the 2nd Division Scout Sniper platoon pre and post Tarawa and they are all wearing P-42s and these camouflage hats; Beecher is actually wearing this exact hat I believe from the photos.

beech_resize_2.jpg

Kurt Barickman

I want to add that the platoon went into Tarawa prior to any other Marines with 38 men and after three days of horrific combat had only 20

beech_resize_knife_1.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Forgot to mention this really cool theatre made knife in the last photo. Will be posting more of his citations, items, uniforms, etc. in the near future.

Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

Shot of the remaining Scout Sniper platoon checking out a Japanese Nambu machine gun. Notice how some using the Springfields. Beecher named and numbered everbody in the picture. I checked the names in Blankeney's and everyone was awarded the Silver Star for Tarawa.

beech_post_resize.jpg

This hat is a very elusive camouflage hat worn by documentation by 6th and 10th Marines on Saipan. This is the only documented one of these hats that I know of. I will evenutally be posting photos of the 2nd Division Scout Sniper platoon pre and post Tarawa and they are all wearing P-42s and these camouflage hats; Beecher is actually wearing this exact hat I believe from the photos.

What a great grouping.

Here's an official US Navy photo showing these hats being worn on Saipan (I superimposed the caption):

post-214-1189669382.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Thanks for the positive comments. Yes, that is one of the photos that shows these type of hats in wear on Saipan as worn by 6th and 10th Marines of the Second Division.

Kurt Barickman