Some of my WWII Naval Aviator flight helmets

bazelot

flight helmets 522
Nice helmet !!!! What kind of earphones are there ??? I supposed that is not a ANB-H-1 but pre war example. This type of cord is early or Im wrong...

Regards,

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry. You're right. These are not ANB-H-1 receivers. I can't make out the letters and numbers on the receivers.They are wrapped in old, brittle black tape. They were in the helmet when I got it, so I left them in it. I did some asking around and I was told that they were US made receivers and were used more by Canadian flyers and only used in small numbers by the US Navy. There's a photo of these in Prodger's flying helmets book, used in an NAF-1092, with RAF/Canadian zip up earcups. That helmet was from a USS Yorktown divebomber pilot.

flight helmets 522
Im always afriad to buy mint M450 with ear cups.. It is easy to put together this type of helmet from orginal parts:(

I like this one. I saw goggles for sale a few weeks ago, on Ebay, that were marked Lincoln Flying School. Cool stuff.

Phil.

Thanks for better info Phill... yes the cord looks very similar to this one from Mick book! For sure it makes your helmet very special :)

I missed goggle about you was talking but nice to heard about it ! I purchased my one 4 years ago also at Ebay!

I hope I would be able to put my new special helmet next week :)

Regards,

Jerry

I like this one. I saw goggles for sale a few weeks ago, on Ebay, that were marked Lincoln Flying School. Cool stuff.

Phil.

Here is my old Naval Flying helmet: 1092L with brown sponge ear cups and TH-37 inside + MSA type C oxygen mask(with two leather straps for flying helmet from accessories kit) and RS-83 microphone and "push to talk" switch correct for this mic.

post-369-1306436740.jpg

post-369-1306436745.jpg

Closer photo of ear cups and orginal photos of 1092S version with sponge earcups.

I forgot: goggle are Seesall model.

The best regards,

Jerry

post-369-1306436813.jpg

post-369-1306436862.jpg

flight helmets 522
Closer photo of ear cups and orginal photos of 1092S version with sponge earcups.

I forgot: goggle are Seesall model.

The best regards,

Jerry

I've admired this one before! Thanks for the closeups. I have an Army Air Corps B-6 helmet, setup with sponge earcups, similar to this. Great looking Seesall goggles. Thanks for sharing.

Phil.

pararaftanr2

Hi Tom, Jerry Phil and all,

Thanks for your recent contributions to this thread. When I get time to check the Forum, this is always the first place I stop to see if anything is new. Being Memorial Day, and in remembrance of our fallen heroes, I thought I would add an update on my "patriotic" red, white and blue goggles from two months ago. Thanks to a lead from Jerry and with the help of Mike H., I've been able to replace the original broken blue lenses and temporary green lenses, with a new blue set.

post-9787-1306811473.jpg

post-14544-1305957530.jpg

This is my last M-450 helmet. It has

the rigger installed black rubber, accoustic

earcups, ANB-H-1 receivers and AN-6530

goggles.

Those are great helmets!!! Thanks for sharing. I have almost the same one with black rubber pads but mine also has the snaps for the O2 mask.

I just got this helmet. It is aheavily modified AN-6540 helmet. AS aforum member pointed out it probably belonged to a USMC pilot captain. THe helmet was modified on the top seam with the addition of some fabric to fit the pilot's head. It also has 3 oxygen tabs attached to it. THe bottom one on the left is reinforce with heavy duty leather.

Picture132.jpg

Picture129.jpg

Picture128-1.jpg

Picture127-1.jpg

Picture126.jpg

Picture125.jpg

hi Paul and TOM!

Yeah Paul, Im glad I can help with blue lenses! Now your M450 Air A. helmet and goggle with blue lenses look like real "rocket" :)))

Tom, this is one of the best helmet for Naval Aviator especially with oxygen mask:) congrats for your new find!

Here is also my new addition, another one the best helmet for Naval Aviator: AN6542.

This example is complete with oxygen mask buckle for Type C and D oxygen mask + rigger added oxygen mask snaps for A-14 mask. Each snap is reinforced at the back by light green HBT material + some pilot fantasy green and white material sewed and attached at the back of the helmet.

The best thing is that helmet was belonged to TBM gunner : Francis Dreiger. I received from seller article from newpaper about the owner...

post-369-1307007525.jpg

post-369-1307007538.jpg

I decided to display this helmet in Night Fighter pilot configuration with dark adaptation red lenses 1021 Polaroid goggle for improve the night vision before the flight, M1944 Navy flying goggle above and two cells Delta company plastic flashlight for better recognition at the flight deck and as a survival signal device in rescue mission...

post-369-1307007634.jpg

post-369-1307007644.jpg

Here are is photo of night fighter pilots with dark adaptaion red lenses 1021 Polaroid goggles in ready room + two cells flashlight, and photo of night fighter pilot Buck Dugan who also used this stuff :)

Thanks Paul for recognition all of this equipment !

The best regards,

Jerry

post-369-1307008769.jpg

post-369-1307008815.jpg

Great helmet Jerry. I love those rigger modified helmets. It's also very good it's named. I still have to research a lot of mine.

flight helmets 522
I just got this helmet. It is aheavily modified AN-6540 helmet. AS aforum member pointed out it probably belonged to a USMC pilot captain. THe helmet was modified on the top seam with the addition of some fabric to fit the pilot's head. It also has 3 oxygen tabs attached to it. THe bottom one on the left is reinforce with heavy duty leather.

Picture132.jpg

Picture129.jpg

Picture128-1.jpg

Picture127-1.jpg

Picture126.jpg

Picture125.jpg

Fantastic set-up! Love the rigger mods... haven't seen one quite like that.

Phil.

flight helmets 522
I decided to display this helmet in Night Fighter pilot configuration with dark adaptation red lenses 1021 Polaroid goggle for improve the night vision before the flight, M1944 Navy flying goggle above and two cells Delta company plastic flashlight for better recognition at the flight deck and as a survival signal device in rescue mission...

Really unusual... Nice touch, using the photos. Thanks for sharing.

Phil.

flight helmets 522
Those are great helmets!!! Thanks for sharing. I have almost the same one with black rubber pads but mine also has the snaps for the O2 mask.

Thanks, I'll look to see if I kind a photo of yours.

Phil.

Thanks, I'll look to see if I kind a photo of yours.

Phil.

It is the first helmet I listed on this thread on page 1. It is by far my favorite one. I think it's named too. I still need to research it.

Thanks Guys for comments!!!! Yes Tom, the AN6540 series helmets are the best for me, especially with oxygen mask snaps:) I hope you find more info abour owner of your new helmet.

Im still looking for some more facts about Francis Dreiger, for sure he was in Air Group -12 http://www.amazon.com/Crommelins-Thunderbi...t/dp/1557505098

Phil I always make my display based on orginal photos:)

Regards,

Jerry