r/Gy Dan

#52 Belleauwood

Belleauwood
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,422
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:09 AM

Dennis,
this display is fantastic and well executed. This just goes to show some of the new collectors out there it is not about quantity but quality. I know everyone who has the bug wants anything they can get when they first start, but this goes to show you what some trigger discipline and being patient results in. My hats off to you Dennis.. Paul

Many Thanks Paul (and Mark) But in the end, I still want it all!!

Dennis

#53 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,550 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:38 AM

But in the end, I still want it all!!
Dennis

...and don't we all! I must say having come back to your thread several times to view the pictures, I"M OVERCOME BY THE DEPTH AND PROFESSIONALLY PRESENTED DISPLAYS....! You've missed your calling, or perhaps you can find time to do some consulting work (when not preoccupied with the next big acquisition). And I feel something kindred to the museum knowing the Fire Bronze EGA used for my avatar came from your collection/museum (and add to yours in the not to distant future ;) ). And again, I cannot express adequately how meaningfull it is to all of us, when you take the time to share these collections with us in these photo's. Thank you Dennis! :salute: Semper Fi, Darrell

#54 yannick

yannick
  • Members
    • Member ID: 418
  • 648 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:47 AM

Words are missing, your collection and display are just fantastic!

I just can say we are particularly lucky on USMF to be able to see all those fantastics collection and such rare stuff in great quantity and quality

Thanks for that!

Regards, yannick

#55 US Victory Museum

US Victory Museum
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,529
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

I am very much impressed by the quality of items that you have
collected and the way you have organized them for display.

Is the Chauchat a Title II firearm, or a collection of parts on display?
If it is a firearm, then is it 8mm Label, or .30-06?

I assume that your mannequins are custom made; all of mine are
too fat and useless.

Msn

#56 beckster

beckster
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,078
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:40 AM

I saw this thread just now on my lunch break, very jaw dropping. At some point maybe close ups and info of some of your very favrite items/groupings? I love what you got going on, Thanks for posting this.
beckster

#57 Belleauwood

Belleauwood
  • Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:45 AM

I am very much impressed by the quality of items that you have
collected and the way you have organized them for display.

Is the Chauchat a Title II firearm, or a collection of parts on display?
If it is a firearm, then is it 8mm Label, or .30-06?

I assume that your mannequins are custom made; all of mine are
too fat and useless.

Msn

Automatic weapons are Dewat per ATF Spec. - Cut - welded, etc. 8mm Lebel - Torso forms are from Webster's displays. MOST WW1 uniforms fit. If not (ala Navy Corpsman) A hack saw is used for surgical precise trimming. A plastic garbage bag is placed over the foam re-sculptured form to keep the styrofoam from going everywhere. Punch the stand thru the bag and there ya' go. The oak stands are from antique table legs turned up side down and a 12 x 12 oak base screwed on. Dowel rod to hold the form drilled and glued to leg. Thank you for your kind comments.

#58 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,906 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:46 AM

No cot needed.... come on up.......9 degrees outside.......fireplace & cold beer inside.... and boxes to go thru

Thanks for the compliment.

DJ

fireplace, beer and boxes of goodies...sounds like my kind of place

#59 Captainofthe7th

Captainofthe7th
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,190
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

Dennis, this looks fantastic! Kind of inspiring, I must say. I'd enjoy checking it out sometime!

Rob

#60 Leatherneck72

Leatherneck72
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,737
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:47 AM

Dennis, this looks fantastic! Kind of inspiring, I must say. I'd enjoy checking it out sometime!

Rob

Dennis,

Class, taste, and an eye for the "right" stuff. Although it helps, these are things that money can't buy. Nicer than most USMC museums in the space available. (it is also nice to see some familiar things again ! ;) There was a thread a few months back that asked how to define/what makes an "Advanced Collector?" All you have to do is click on this post if you want that term defined for you. These pictures speak a thousand words. :thumbsup:

#61 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,726
  • 15,203 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:43 PM

Many Thanks Paul (and Mark) But in the end, I still want it all!!

Dennis

Isn't that the truth? I've tried to use that statement myself: quality over quantity. Unfortunately, I too want both, a quality collection with EVERYTHING! It's a very sad addiction. :unsure:

Edited by Bugme, 31 December 2009 - 01:44 PM.

#62 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:24 PM

Dennis,
What can be said that has not already? Your display can't be found in the best of museums. To own just one your helmets, or one of your Navy Cross lots, an average collector could spend a decade searching. You have made a convincing statement. You are the WW1 Marine king! I am flattered you would consider me, my brother and others as ones you have tried to catch up to. As far as quality and variety you have me beat by a country mile! Awe inspiring Dennis, you have certainly made me realize that the Williamson officer hats need to be sitting next to their uniforms in your cases. Give me a call come February.

S/F,
Mike

#63 Bulldog

Bulldog
  • Members
    • Member ID: 795
  • 497 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

wardept.gif

I'm speechless! Just absolutely amazing... :twothumbup:

#64 Popo367

Popo367
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,633
  • 484 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:54 PM

I just wanted to add that I love how you matched the tones in color from the walls and the carpet.......all the military stuff was alright......... :rolleyes:

I was out of town for a few days and come back to the forum and find this......awesome!!!! Some day.....someday........man I am still frosh/soph..............will I ever make it to JV or Varsity....?

Dennis you are just like your musuem a class act.

#65 Navy Dan

Navy Dan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,552
  • 955 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:50 AM

Dennis,
Thanks for showing your museum I would brave the cold just to get a visit. ( I have never seen snow I'm a Fl cracker ) You have always been an inspiration for being focused on an era and have Amazing pieces in your museum. Great job and if you need any carpenter or property management help give me a call. LOL
Thanks for your help as well.
Cheers Dan

#66 Belleauwood

Belleauwood
  • Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:13 AM

I just wanted to add that I love how you matched the tones in color from the walls and the carpet.......all the military stuff was alright......... :rolleyes:

I was out of town for a few days and come back to the forum and find this......awesome!!!! Some day.....someday........man I am still frosh/soph..............will I ever make it to JV or Varsity....?

Dennis you are just like your musuem a class act.

Enrique / All,

I cannot tell you how much these responses have caught me off guard. There have been some stunnig collections shown on this forum that won't be seen anywhere else. We all know of "unpublished" collections that are not only of the best quality, thay are also impossible to duplicate. There are two (that I know of) WW1 USMC collections that were put together when the veterans were still alive, that one simply cannot comprehend putting together today. - Same for aviation. - I have been fortunate to have known, or know some of these great early collectors that knew these veterans and were fortunate enough to be the care takers of their military and sometimes, their personal artifacts. Some of these items have come to me. Money is another issue. These items are, and are becoming more and more expensive. I've been very lucky to have some of these early collectors send me the artifacts (for immediate gratification), and let me pay over time.

I have been critisized for not expanding my collection to include later periods. Many of my close personal friends have now focused on WW2. My answer is: I can't do it all; and focus. I love WW2 history and artifacts and those of later conflicts as well. WW2 Navy and Marine pilots could prove to be my downfall, but not yet. All my uniform groups have significant research done and several with family interviews and support. To me it is quality WITH preserving the history. There is enough to go around for everyone. For me it has to balanced with my family, home and job.

Sorry for the diatribe. - I am passionate about this stuff. - Thanks again for your comments. I throw some more up later. - The good press is motivational!!

Dennis

#67 Belleauwood

Belleauwood
  • Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:05 AM

IMG_0887.jpg

Opening door to go down into the basement

#68 Belleauwood

Belleauwood
  • Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:06 AM

IMG_0888.jpg

#69 Belleauwood

Belleauwood
  • Members
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:08 AM

IMG_0889.jpg

Need more in here. You folks know who you are.!

#70 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:25 AM

Dennis,
I forgot to mention that I admire your antique show cases. I grew up in a home filled with the same looking cases (except full of American Indian and Indian Wars militaria). I remember fighting my brother and one of us cracking the 100 year old glass in my dad's bow front case! My dad still hauls them around to shows!! Those vintage cases really class up the joint.

S/F,
Mike

#71 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
    • Member ID: 944
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:47 AM

More photos Dennis! More, more, more! I'm addicted now, I gotta have more photos of you collection!

#72 dhcoleterracina

dhcoleterracina
  • Members
    • Member ID: 573
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:07 AM

The collection shows off many things previously said but it makes me re-think how little I've spent on framing and how dramatic and classy the result is. A friend just retired and bought framing supplies to do part time work. Its time we had a talk. Thank you so much for sharing this incredible collection. Dexter

#73 Croix de Guerre

Croix de Guerre
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,356
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:29 PM

Congratulations my old friend; I remember what the 'guy room" looked like back in the day. I recall the conversations we had about what it will look like and the difficulties you had bringing it to fruition. Despite all you persevered and achieved your dream. I can only wonder what other treasures will find safe haven with you in the future. God Bless my friend, God Bless.

Edited by Croix de Guerre, 01 January 2010 - 04:29 PM.

#74 John Cooper

John Cooper
  • Members
    • Member ID: 227
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:05 PM

Dennis,

I was wondering when you might post some photos... you truely are a fortunate man!

Cheers
John

#75 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 209
  • 13,964 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:32 PM

Dennis:

FANTASTIC displays! I'm lucky to have added some to that collection, but honestly it's junk compared to the other stuff you have. Your collection is simply mind boggling...I hope you keep it long enough so I can photograph it for one of my photo books on WW1 uniforms...

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users